phileas-fogg.com apts in Paris

Jul 4th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

phileas-fogg.com apts in Paris

Does anyone have any input or information on the apts listed for rent on beau-paris.com? I am considering the Magenta and would like to know if anyne has ever rented from the site? I have contacted two people who posted reviews on the site but am hesitant in case those were "planted" reveiws. Everything seems above board but thought I would pose the question here before moving on and using VBRO or lodgis.
Thanks
Jul 4th, 2005, 02:49 PM

I stayed at the Blvd. Pasteur apartment last October. I believe the apts. are individually owned. Mine worked out just great.
Good luck,
Mara
Jul 4th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I just did a "tour" of the site and I see a number of apartments I've seen on other sites -- I think on VRBO. I'd be curious how the prices compare. I'd be more willing to deal with an owner direct via VRBO than a booking agency if they are priced the same.
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:14 PM

As far as I know, there is no agency fee. I dealt directly with the owner of the apartment I rented.
Mara
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Yes, that's what I assumed, but the point is that then the owner must usually pay a fee to the agency if they book the apartment. This has been mentioned by others as a potential problem when an owner has his own booking for a time when the agency has a booking. The owner may prefer his own booking so he doesn't have to pay a fee.
I'm not saying that's the case, but it remains that I prefer dealing directly with an owner rather than an agency whenever possible.
Jul 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Well, I am not trying to be argumentative but I did deal directly with the owner, not at all with any agency. The owner and I emailed back and forth numerous times before I decided to take the apt. then after I paid a deposit and got the contract as well to answer a few more of my questions and ascertain the final arrangements.
Mara
Jul 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Mara, I apologize and believe me I'm not trying to be argumentative either. But I think you're missing my point here. I'm glad your rental worked out for you.

But picture this scenario.

You find the apartment you did through the agency -- phileas-fogg in this case and you start the rental process. A few weeks later someone sees this same apartment on a direct by owner website -- maybe VRBO. If that owner rents to you, it is very likely he will then have to pay the phileas-fogg people a "finder's fee" for your rental. But if the other people found the apartment direct (maybe on VRBO for example) the owner will not have to pay anybody a fee. Now some owners would be honest enough to say "first come first serve" and you'd get the apartment. But there have been numerous people who have posted here who were "shut out" of such a rental because apparently the owner found someone else to rent and the bottom line is they'd make more money off it. Let's face it, the owners are in this for the income, not just for being nice.

Another scenario is that some owners list their apartments with a number of agencies. When they have a tentative contract for rental, but another agency comes along and says, "hey, we have someone who is willing to give you an extra 500 euro a week for it", who do you think is going to get the apartment? The person who found it first or the person who is paying the most? There are dozens of stories of people getting to Paris and finding the apartment they were supposedly renting in somehow already taken and they are offered a substitute.

Sorry this is so long winded. But I just wanted to explain what apparently often happens. I still don't mean to suggest that this WILL happen with this particularly booking agency or with this apartment. But people should be aware of the possibilities.
Jul 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Good, I am glad neither of us is being argumentative
Patrick, I definitely get your point and do remember reading a post about such a rental problem. But in this case I really believe that this phileasfogg is not an agency. On the website itself it says it is an owner cooperative so I think that what you are talking about would be pretty unlikely to happen. In actuality any owner whether on VRBO or wherever could be unscrupulous and try to dump someone for another renter willing to pay more. This was my first Paris rental and I was nervous of course but my numerous emails with the owner made me feel assured that there was no scam. Hey, I'm a New Yorker and one worries about this sort of thing....Plus I know from your previous posts that you are an experienced renter of apartments abroad.
Mara