Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Petanque in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/petanque-in-paris-828022/)

robertanselmi Feb 24th, 2010 01:41 AM

Petanque in Paris

My wife and I will be in Paris for five days (not nearly long enough) in August. Where can we see the locals playing petanque? Do Parisians object to tourists watching them play? Are tourists able to toss down a boule or two, or is the game taken too seriously for that? We would love to hear of your experiences.

kerouac Feb 24th, 2010 01:46 AM

One of the main pétanque areas in Paris is along the Bassin de la Villette in the 19th arrondissement, but you can also see people playing in various parks and squares and places like the Arènes de Lutèce. They don't mind spectators at all, but you won't necessarily be invited to join in. In any case, it is much more a leisure activity in Paris than the serious event it can be in the south of France.

PatrickLondon Feb 24th, 2010 02:01 AM

I've certainly seen people playing on a Sunday morning in the Luxembourg Gardens.

If they're doing Paris Plage again, then there may well be temporary pitches (is that the word?) set up along the northern embankments of the Seine.

tod Feb 24th, 2010 02:42 AM

The area where the petanque players can be found in the Luxembourg Gardens is opposite the childrens playground.
There are several games taking place all at once. Convenient benches line the sides of the sandy area so it is lovely to sit and watch for awhile under the shady trees.
These are serious players and unless they came to the end of their game and you politlely requested a few throws, you will not be encouraged to participate.

I have seen many boule players all over Paris gathered under a line of trees, playing, laughing and always smoking! Don't hesitate to stop and watch - they won't even notice you.

robertandselmi - If you are in Paris from around 21st-26th Aug
you may feel like joining a Fodorites GTG (get to gether).
It's always informal, lunch or dinner at a reasonably priced restaurant, or even just a drink!

Palenque Feb 24th, 2010 07:02 AM

there is also Boules area for serious play along the canal, east side, between Bastille and the Seine- by the 'yacht club' and also at Place Nation.

My French in-laws always call it Boules (sp?)

avalon Feb 24th, 2010 07:18 AM

I've seen them near the Champs de Mar

StCirq Feb 24th, 2010 08:57 AM

There are always boules games in progress in the shady area on the northeast side of the park in front of the Musée de l'Armée, between Les Invalides and the river.

Palenque Feb 25th, 2010 10:17 AM

Petanque - Paris Travel Guide - VirtualTourist.com
Petanque Paris, France: Tips, recommendations, reviews and photos for Paris, France posted by real travelers and Paris locals.
www.virtualtourist.com › ... › Île-de-France › Paris › Sports Travel

MelJ Feb 25th, 2010 10:20 AM

And in a little area at the Louvre end of the Tuilleries. As you face the Louvre's pyramid, look to the left.