Train Travel safety in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some forum safety advice. I am a seasoned traveller to Italy, familiar with the trains and ticketing, etc. However, for my upcoming trip in November, I will be "solo" and travelling distances with luggage (ie. Genoa to Stuttgart). Prior trips were either with a companion, or day trips without luggage, so leaving the compartment to use the restroom, etc. was never an issue.

My question is if it is reasonable safe to leave your luggage (locked) or should I travel wtih a bike lock or someting to chain it up while I run to the toliet? (I'm laughing as I am typing this and thinking perhaps I should just by some Depends....). In this day in age, asking someone to "watch your bag" is not often an option.

In all seriousness, I am aware that there are "gypsies" that are more than willing to help you board your luggage, and I'd hate the thought of leaving for 5 minutes and finding it "gone." I only travel with a carryon, and a small sachtel("You bring it, you sling it!") and use first class whenever possible.

Thoughts and comments, please.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM

If you want to, you can strap it down with a simple attachment, such as your luggage tag strap.

It doesn't have to be welded to the overhead rack. That works for me if I'm totally paranoid, but in real life it seldom happens.

There should be far fewer potential thieves in November, than the height of the season.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 01:00 PM

I leave my luggage but take my purse and small pack with me. Use the facilities just after leaving a station so if there is a problem you have time to find the conductor before the next stop.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM

I don't think you have much to worry about, but I also don't laugh at your concerns. Personally, I wouldn't want to lug around a bike lock.

The advice to take to the bathroom everything you would hate to lose -- your passport, computer, camera -- but ask a fellow passenger to watch your luggage is good. Also good advice to use the facilities before boarding the train, or just when you leave the station.

Bigger problem is finding an Italian train toilet you want to use unless you are traveling 1st class!
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Not a bike lock, but a ski lock with a thinner retractable cable (I carry it in the pocket of my ski jacket) might do the trick for any but the most determined thief.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have a bike lock that has a cable almost as thin (but not quite) as the retractable ski cable that I take and use when traveling by train, since it can slip through quite a few backs and the luggage rack, and is very lightweight.

But are you in a single sleeping compartment that has a lock? You mentioned "compartment" -- if that's the case, I don't see any reason to lock it up inside a locked compartment (although I'd still take my purse).
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:55 PM

I think the OP means a seating (not sleeping) compartment rather than a car with coach seating.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 11:28 PM

I can understand your apprehension, I have travelled solo for some time by choice and have never had a problem in Europe on trains with my luggage. If you are seated near a few people who are not travelling all together in a compartment I'm quite sure one of them will not try to lift your bag when the others know it is not theirs. Sounds a bit corny but true. Also not everyone is a suspect thief and I've always managed to pinpoint someone I thought I could trust for the short time it takes to find the 'loo'. Geuinine and honest people are very helpful when travelling solo and thank goodness there are still plenty out there.I have travelled solo in France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Holland and Germany on trains and they are my favourite form of transport over there. Just keep your valuables on you at all times but I'm sure we don't need to remind you of that. Have a great time.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The IC train between Genoa and Milan will likely be a compartment and your luggage will be overhead. That ride isn't as long as your others so I don't think you need to worry about it much.

The EC train between Milan/Zurich (is that your route?) will be more like Trenitalia's AV trains - open seating. Your luggage can slide in behind your seat unless you are in a seat at the end of the car without a table.
http://www.railgallery.info/photo_sh...0_154.jpg.html

This is an older train, but shows the space behind the seats better.
http://www.railgallery.info/photo_sh...+copy.jpg.html

You have to be careful using locks as you need to be able to get your luggage pretty fast sometimes. Some stops on slow trains are only 1 minute.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:26 AM

I traveled first class on FrecciaBianca from Milan to Genova (the line runs both ways) and I highly recommend it over the old IC trains. which still have uncomfortable compartments. Nobody is going to steal your luggage on that FrecciaBianca line. It only makes a very few stops and the cars are completely open to view with lots of train personnel on them, and plenty of trustworthy fellow passengers. And they have cleaner bathrooms.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM

If it's any help, Trenitalia offer this advice leaflet...

http://www.fsnews.it/cms-file/allega.../Polfer_06.pdf

Peter
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I traveled first class on FrecciaBianca from Milan to Genova (the line runs both ways) and I highly recommend it over the old IC trains. <<<

I doubt the OP can wait until after 1 pm to catch a Frecciabianca train (the earliest departure shown on Trenitalia is 13:12) and still make connections to Zurich and Stuttgart in one day. There are multiple early departures for IC or R trains, none shown for Frecciabianca.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 09:54 AM

Too bad. I hate those old trains with first class compartments. Sometimes 2nd class is actually more comfortable than first, especially in November, when air conditioning is not an issue. However, but not to count on working toilets.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for you great input. I'm not paranoid and I have taken the Genoa>Milan train before. And heavens, I my crossbody purse never leaves me. Right now, it will be the Milan>Zurich connection, unless I decide to change everything and take an overnight train Florence>Munich.

I went from Milan>Genoa, Genoa>Florence, Florence>Venice, and Venice>MilanMalpensa in February and honestly, never had a problem with the train toliets. Not my first choice, certainly, but hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go!

I'm sure I will manage fine, but it never hurts to get great suggestions from fellow travellers! Grazie!