Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Perpignan Fr., what to do and where to eat (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/perpignan-fr-what-to-do-and-where-to-eat-903876/)

seafox Aug 24th, 2011 10:43 AM

Perpignan Fr., what to do and where to eat

We will be finding ourselves in Perpignan for a half day and over night this October. Hotel is reserved, but looking for input on what we should take the time to see and of course any advice on dinner options would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

Pvoyageuse Aug 24th, 2011 11:14 AM

To see in half a day : 12th century Palace of the Kings of Majorca, the Cathedral and the adjoining Chapelle du Christ (15th century Christ), the Castillet, Rigaud Museum, Place de la Loge and City Hall (Maillol sculptures).
Dinner options depend on your hotel location and your price range. Will you have a car?

seafox Aug 24th, 2011 11:21 AM

we will be at the Novotel a few blocks from teh train station. We drop our car off erly afternoon (heading to BCN next day) Price range hmmmm. more impoortant is the meal.... as long as it is not Taillevent level - thanks for the ideas!

Michael Aug 24th, 2011 11:25 AM

<i>Price range hmmmm. more impoortant is the meal.... as long as it is not Taillevent level</i>

Nothing recommended in Perpignan by Michelin.

seafox Aug 24th, 2011 11:29 AM

I'm thinking, good local food, pehaps a place that specializes in something regional.

Pvoyageuse Aug 24th, 2011 11:43 AM

If it is Novoltel Mediterranée, avenue du Général Leclerc, it is a 15 min walk from the station and close to the center.
In the center :Les Antiquaires (traditional) Place Desprès
La Passerelle (excellent fish), 1 cours Palmarole
Good Brasserie : Café Vienne, Place Arago

Between your hotel and the station : Au bruit qui court, Place de Belgique - Le Grilladou, also Place de Belgique

Need a taxi : La Fauceille and Le Gaudi, chemin de la Fauceille, Le Sud, 12 rue Léon Bausil.
Good Brasserie : Café Vienne, Place Arago

Pvoyageuse Aug 24th, 2011 11:46 AM

Nothing recommended by Michelin, really?
http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source...4CxHcwaHoN6uVg

Michael Aug 24th, 2011 11:50 AM

Good to know. When I did a search, I got only restaurants in the Languedoc, with none in Perpignan. I must have done something wrong.

Pvoyageuse Aug 24th, 2011 11:56 AM

"I'm thinking, good local food, pehaps a place that specializes in something regional."

Artapas, Blvd Clemenceau, very close to Novotel
Al tres, 3 rue de la Poissonnerie (center)

annhig Aug 24th, 2011 11:57 AM

Michael,

IMHO you won't need a michelin guide to find good food in Perpignan. we were overwhelmed by the restaurants, cafes, bars, shops, galleries - just a great place.

unfortunately we only had a day and DH wasn't feeling too great so we just ate in the brasserie in the main square [near the rills and fountains].

Enjoy!

MaineGG Aug 24th, 2011 01:56 PM

It's been a long time ago, but we had a very nice dinner at Al Tres, recommended above by Pvoyageuse. We had only one evening in Perpignan before taking a train to Barcelona, and were very happy someone had recommended Al Tres.

uhoh_busted Aug 24th, 2011 03:18 PM

We had two wonderful lunches in Perpignan last November...the weather was great the first time, and there were many places to eat al fresco. We just wandered around noticing what people were eating and made our choice. The second time, it was more blustery, so we ate indoors - maybe the same brasserie annhig visited - and chose the menu for that day. It was packed with locals at lunch from work - dressed quite well. There are several plazas/squares with restaurants and cafes. This one was near the canal and there was a statue of someone...ha! not much help, I'm afraid. (I've misplaced my journal so sorry no specifics!) Perpignan is a nice little city with a thriving economy. It's a great place to shop for gifts. We found a wine: Le Roc des Anges, which we'd enjoyed with dinner in Montpellier, and bought three bottles, two for our own consumption, and one as a part of a mixed case we left the friends who loaned us their flat. There was also a wonderful shop selling graphic novels (once called comic books) that was the source for some of the most unique gifts we bought.

We very much enjoyed the Palace of the Kings of Majorca, and the views of the mountains...

uhoh_busted Aug 24th, 2011 03:20 PM

Yes! Thank you Pvoyageuse, the Place Arago! That may well have been where we had lunch indoors! (Helps to read previous posters)

Pvoyageuse Aug 25th, 2011 07:52 AM

It most probably was. BTW it is not a canal, it is a river in its own right !!

seafox Aug 25th, 2011 04:05 PM

wow - great advice - thanks!

seafox Oct 12th, 2011 11:33 PM

Staying at the Novotel last night and it's oversized very modern rooms have been a nice change of pace. As recommended we found our way to Al Tres and had a terrific meal! Many thanks for the recommendations!

Cathinjoetown Oct 13th, 2011 01:13 AM

ttt