Search

Perfect schedule for 2.5 days in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect schedule for 2.5 days in Barcelona

Dear experienced Barcelona travelers

I'm looking for advise on the best way to spend Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday (and 1-1.5 hours Monday morning before flight to Madrid at 13.30) in Barcelona. I'm going to be staying at the Rambla de Cataluña. We flying in on from the flight from US on Friday - I'm arriving to BCN at 11.15 am. So Friday should be light.
We are 3 young adults (20th and 40th) and normally do not enjoy bus tours or hop - on hop off tours. We do enjoy walking tours. I really appreciate help and advise.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 03:09 PM
yk

Hi Lovetotravel-

I spent 2.5 days in Barcelona also when I visited in Feb (arrived Fri and departed Sun afternoon). You can read my trip report for ideas. The TR will also answer your question about Cordoba.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35111933

You can read the same trip report by me, but with pictures included if you go here:
http://p099.ezboard.com/feuropetogof...icID=424.topic
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:45 AM

Sundays are great in Barcelona, for visiting Parc Guell and the Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's unfinished Master work). Then, in the evening you go to the Cathedral and watch the people dancing the Sardana.
WARNING:
Have an early Sunday dinner (1300 to 1500)! Many restaurants close around 1600 and do not reopen for any evening meal.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:03 AM

I strongly suggest you consider going to Sagrada Familia EARLY in the day to avoid the possible crowds (even though you did not say at what time of year you are visiting).
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

I'll be travelling in May.
What about Palao de Musica? Have you done their tour?

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:18 AM
yk

Hi Lovetotravel-

I went to Palau de la Musica Catalana twice on my trip: once for an evening concert, then an English guided tour the next day. I consider it as a must see in Barcelona. See my TR for details.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM

First, What time do you get up? What time do you go to your room? Now use a local guide to find what's on. Write in the possibilities...Use a local map to work out walking treks. Select 9 restaurants..Theater? Opera? Try a tram or local bus out and back...Don't neglect Fodor's guide book....
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM

We just got back this weekend after spending 3 days in Barcelona and 2 in Madrid. We don't care for organized tours either so we did a lot of walking on our own. For Gaudi architecture which I found to be really cool, we went in Sagrada Familia on a Tuesday and the lines weren't too bad. The extra 2 euros to go up the elevator was definitely worth it. There was a huge line for a lift near the entrance that we bypassed and walked around to another much shorter line that took you up the lift. The line outside Casa Mila (or La Pedrera) was pretty long, so we didn't go in. The exterior is cool and I liked browsing in their gift shop. Our hotel was across from Casa Batllo so we thought we'd do that the morning before our flight to Madrid, but they were closed..unexpected and I think due to construction. We were so looking forward to that since the exterior of the building just looks fun. If we had another day, we would have visited Park Guell, but we ran out of time and I don't think that was within walking distance. Otherwise, we walked La Ramblas to the waterfront. We did a 45 minute harbor tour, but I didn't think it was all that great. I know they offered a longer one that went over to the Olympic area and I wish we had done that instead. It's a beautiful city. Have fun.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Just spent two months in Barcelona - lots of pics on our blog here

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...ards_2008_adv/

Some suggestions depending upon your interests:

- Underground Barcelona is near the Barcelona Cathedral - very interesting presentation of the Roman foundations of Barcelona
- also near the Cathedral is Museum Frederic Mares - an inveterate collector - we found it fascinating
- don't miss Palau de la Musica but make reservations online as it sells out quickly
- Re Casa Batlo - if you call you can make reservations in advance - check on their website
- we really enjoyed the Maritime Museum if for no other reason than to see the full size galley replica
- make sure you visit Boqueria Market (on La Ramblas) either right when you get there Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning - it's closed Sunday and Monday (or most of it).