Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Perfect Ireland village/town to stay in for a few weeks?

Oct 31st, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Hello! I can't afford another vacation for a while, but I can afford to dream! My next vacation, I think I'd like to settle into one place for a couple/few weeks, daytripping as my whim hits. Right now I'm imagining Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, but if you have ideas outside the Emerald Isle, I'm certainly open to great ideas!

I envision a place where I can rent a little cottage or apartment, and where I would feel welcome if I made efforts to engage in the community life. I don't want to be completely isolated. I want to be able to either get a cab or walk home if I have "too good" of a time in a pub!

Beyond that, I'll leave it open. Where would you stay, and why? Dream with me!
Nov 2nd, 2009, 06:23 AM

That could be many places! There are hundreds of lovely villages in Ireland, Scotland, England, and I'm sure many other places, that will fit your bill.

I would recommend renting a self-catering property, as they usually let by the week, and would be less expensive than a B&B. You would also get more involvement by needing to get groceries, etc. I would recommend (places I've been) someplace out on the west coast. You may need to look for a place that isn't very touristy, but it also depends on the time of the year. For instance, Dingle is a lovely town - but touristy in July and August. Kenmare, Westport, Donegal, these are all popular spots, and therefore have a great deal of community life you can participate in. However, too many touristy attractions (like Killarney) can be off-putting.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I absolutely want to get a self-catering property. I'm already searching online and drooling over the possibilities!!

West coast - I'll check into that! Thanks!!
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM

The advantages to the west coast of Ireland are many. There tends to be smaller, more isolated villages (rather than being subsumed suburbs of larger cities like Dublin), there is spectacular cliffs along the way, and the pace of life tends to be slower, more easy going. Also, I think there is more of a love for tradition in the west.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM

Be sure to consider Co. Donegal. I'm jonesing for a couple of weeks up there.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM

I've done this at various times in or near Dingle, Youghal, Kinsale and Ballyvaughan. None felt at all touristy. Each time, I've had a project or attempted book to deal with.

If I hadn't had something to do - well, hmm... There's a limit to how much daytripping it's possible to do at present in Ireland (though the rapid expansion of the motorway system MIGHT change that by summer in some places). Roads are slow, there's a limit to how much there is to see near somewhere in the country, and Ireland's not good for country walks. If you've a definite interest (like fishing or yachting) this doesn't matter, and it's a GREAT opportunity for catching up on reading. But you're not going to be taken in by the community anywhere to the extent your life becomes a stream of invites to lunch and dinner.

That's why Ireland's so well suited to being "done" in a couple of weeks, staying a few nights in four or five places. Three weeks by yourself without a project in one cottage in Connemara - you soon see where all those awful plays about mother and daughter going mad in Ballyodismal came from.

One small warning. Ireland is wonderful for many things. Architecture, though, hasn't been among them since Independence. Most Irish self-catering accommodation is hideous from outside and destroys the landscape.

Just live with it. The really great thing is: you can't see it from inside.
Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM

Actually, I found a lovely self-catering place on the side of The Paps, down in County Cork. It was a charming 18th century farmhouse on the outside, but the inside had modern conveniences and was renovated nicely. It did have a peat fireplace, but also a gas heater if you preferred. It had cable TV, but all sorts of older games to play. Huge wooden kitchen table, but hot modern shower. Unfortunately, this particular place (called Molly's, and rented through Imagine Ireland) doesn't seem to be on their list any longer...
Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Definitely considering Co. Donegal.

flanneruk - good thoughts. I have "done" the Republic of Ireland once but there's always more to see. I think I'm influenced by the fact that my most recent vacation, I drove drove drove drove all over Scotland, and this time I just want to stay put somewhere! But having a project is a good idea. I'm a writer (should be writing right now in fact!) and could easily take my work with me. If I end up somewhere without internet connection I might get much more done than I get done at home!!

You don't think Ireland is good for country walks - why is that?
Nov 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM

"You don't think Ireland is good for country walks"

Ireland hasn't got the gynormous English system of thousands of miles of pedestrian rights of way across private land, the Scandinavian system of "right to roam" nor the US system of huge swathes of government-owned, publicly accessible, land.

There are some footpaths, and an absurdly dense network of undertrafficked minor roads (one positive relic of the Famine), so you can walk on some roads more or less safely and tranquilly. But buy the "20 walks round here" book at the local newsagent and you often find yourself dealing with barbed wire and fences, or spending practically all your time on tarmac.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Good to know! Thanks!
Nov 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM

Check out www.Limepark.com. I'm a writer and loved writing there by the peat fire, and gazing out at the views from my windows. My fantasy would be to spend a month or more there. (I've stayed several times -- but usually for a week.) It's not far from the Glens of Antrim and the Antrim Coast -- two of my favorite places for glorious, long walks.

The closest town is charming Ballycastle. But I had very limited interaction with the locals.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

Dingle and Kenmore would be on most lists, I think but I'm another who also likes the Youghal area. Somewhere from there to Dungarvan would be nice and provide day trip distance from Cobh to Waterford and as far north as Carrick and Lismore. I've stumbled on a few sea-facing ruins in ivy along the back road stretch around there that could be accessed fairly easily (a bit of wire though), but I'd be hard pressed to give exact instructions anymore.
Nov 4th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Also check out Knocktopher. There is a lovely 14th century abbey converted into a resort there, (Knocktopher Abbey), the town itself is quite small, Thomastown is very nearby for pubs and such, and Kilkenny is close enough for lots of exploration.
Nov 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

All excellent ideas - adding them to my list! I love this!