Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Perfect 9 days in switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/perfect-9-days-in-switzerland-225643/)

barbara May 28th, 2002 03:45 AM

Perfect 9 days in switzerland

I am taking my 12 year old for 9 days ..flying into Zurich out of geneva..She hates long days of travelling and would not be wowoed by days of simply scenery...I was thinking of 2 days in Zurich..2 daays in Lugano..1 day in Lucerne(to avoid the long train trip to Grindelwald)..2 days in Grindelwald..2 days in MOntreux..is this too much? you all seem to know so much about switzerland, is there a better plan? Is travelling by train the way to go?

Al Godon May 28th, 2002 04:38 AM

If scenery is not an appeal, and you don't like train trips, why go to Switzerland? What do you think you will find in Montreux, Luzern, and Z&uuml;rich? These are not exactly kiddie attractions. And for someone who says no long train trips, you are planning a schedule that will cause you to run all over the place. <BR>I suggest Disney World.<BR>

mark May 28th, 2002 04:49 AM

Barbara, I agree with Al.<BR><BR>I arrived in Zurich at noon, and was out of there by 3:00. Check into my hotel, walked around the city for 90 minutes and left the same day. Hotel owner was quite annoyed.<BR><BR>Montreaux was the same way. Sits on the French side of Switzerfland, so the people in Montreaux aren't much friendlier than the people you will find in Paris.<BR><BR>Lugano...other than the drive around Lake Como and a possible trip in Italy, nothing for a 12 year old to really do or appreciate.<BR><BR>Lucern....well, you been all over Switzerland, why not one more town to pack and unpack from. Nice town. For me, the best of the places you plan to travel to. But, again, what do you think your 12 year old will get out of it?<BR><BR>Like Al said, unless your daughter is into seeing Europe, don't spend your mopney. Switzerland is one probably the most expensive country outside of Scandanavia. <BR><BR>Go somewhere in America. TYou'll have a better time, because your daughter will too.<BR><BR>

barbara May 28th, 2002 10:20 AM

perhaps i was too extreme in my post..my daughter and i have been to europe many times..the week we spent in nice and provence was heavan..we've been all over denmark,capri, sorrento, bath..she loves travel.. i just try to balance scenic drives with stopping to see things..even the bread museum was a hit with her in bonnieux..and avignon was great..as was matisse house in nice and blue grotto..i know she will like ballenberg..jungfrau excursion..transit museum in luzern..castles..etc.. just trying to figure out where to stay and for how long..to make an interesting trip..

carolyn May 28th, 2002 10:30 AM

I think she will like the Castle of Chillon in Montreaux and a trip up Mt. Pilatus in Lucerne, and I know she will like Lindt chocolate.

Andre May 28th, 2002 10:54 AM

Barbara,<BR><BR>Sounds like Mark really LOVED Switzerland :)<BR><BR>Anyway, I would skip Zurich and go straight to Luzern for 1-2 nights and then concentrate on the Berner Oberland. There is so much to do there: spectacular cable car rides (like the Schilthorn with a revolving restaurant on top), the ice grotto on the Jungfraujoch, the Trummelbach waterfalls, boat rides on Lake Brienz or Thun and great hiking! Depending on the season, you might be better served by staying in Interlaken, which has a great location for exploring - less travel time to reach the attractions. However it gets HOT in July and August!<BR><BR>If you have the time and/or can fly back from Geneva, I would definitely spend a night or 2 in the Montreux/Vevey area, which has 2 great attractions for kids: Chillon Castle, right on Lake Geneva and the game museum in La Tour-de-Peilz, a lakeside town right next to Vevey - housed in the local castle with tons of games to play! Also a boat ride is just beautiful. You can also take a full-day trip on the "cheese & chocolate train", which takes you first to Gruyeres where you can see a cheese factory and explore the pretty miedeval town&castle, then to the huge Cailler chocolate factory, where there's an all you can eat pigout at the end of the factory tour...<BR><BR>Info for the train:<BR>http://www.mob.ch/GPS/Tip/chocolat.htm?e<BR><BR>As you can see, I'm not a huge fan of the Lugano area - IMO it's where older Germans go to pretend they're in Italy :)<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Ingo May 28th, 2002 12:15 PM

LOL!!! Barbara, did you think you would get different suggestions than we (s + me) gave you on Frommers'?<BR><BR>Well, ignore mark's comments, it is not helpful in any way. Compare Andre's suggestions to the recommendations on Frommers'! It is the same! So you can be sure that this itinerary is perfect for you.<BR><BR>Ingo

Andre May 28th, 2002 12:18 PM

Ingo,<BR><BR>You mean I wrote that whole post for nothing??!!!<BR><BR>Oh well :)<BR><BR>Andre