pere la chaise (sp?)cemetary tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of good tours to the cemetary. I've seen comments about someone who gives tours for the day on the site and wonder if he is the person to speak to.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM

don't know about tours but if going on your own here's what i found in December: after searching thru the cemetery on my own i exited the northwest corner by the metro stop and saw a girl selling a cemetery map - there was no one doing so in the southwestern entrance i entered - it would have been very helpful to have had the map. Jim Morrison's grave is now roped off and relatively cleaned up. Oscar Wilde's privates are as shiny as ever.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Try www.paris-walks.com I think this is the company I went to Pere La Chaise with. I don't see it listed on their current list tho - maybe they don't run it in the winter.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:48 AM

You really don't need a guide, but you do need a good map (the ones in the printed tour guides leave out most of the lanes and roads) which you can find in nearly any nearby florist shop.

Here's a huge tip: Take the metro or bus to Gambetta and enter from the north side. Then, you will be exploring downhill, rather that uphill.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM

I agree, you do not need a tour. It spoils the atmosphere. The names are written on the graves and the cemetary is not THAT big. Best is to be completely alone on the graveyard, maybe at dawn or, if you are very lucky, when it is foggy...