Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pepecar - or another car rental agency in Spain

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used Pepecar to rent a vehicle? It seems really inexpensive compared to Hertz for a 5 day rental, mini-van that seats 7 but I want to make sure that this is a reliable company to rent from. Does anyone have any recommendations for car rental companies? We are renting for 5 days from Barcelona, and returning at the same location. There are 5 adults and each will have a med-large pack for luggage.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Pepecars have adverts on the side tell everyone that you are renting that car. I personally would not want that that.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Yes, they are reliable, but if the advertising bothers you, do not go with them. I hope none of these days are IN Barcelona with a car. I assume you are going elsewhere.

Try www.kayak.es, or www.lastminute.es to see what comes up on the Spanish site.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

thank you. We are renting the car when we leave BCN so that we can explore the other areas at our convenience - Penedes, Girona, Cadaques. I will look at the websites you recommeneded, lincasnova.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Try WWW.DOYOUSPAIN.com.
Prices are good, but I have not used them as yet.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Gold Car is also inexpensive here in Valencia, but always look at insurance deductibles. They vary from ZERO to 1,500 euros or so.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

doyouspain.com was a good quote - thanks for the info.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Go to Autoeurope.com and get a quote worked up. They usually allow comparisons and you can figure out if it's a reputable car company. I've seen horror stories about car rentals in Europe in Conde Nast Traveller and T&L and wouldn't want to rent from a company either I couldn't hold accountable in the US in some shape or form, or whose reputation I'm not familiar with. Don't cheap out too much, you can get decent prices from Europcar (we have, twice, and its reputable) or even some of the US rental agencies (Alamo/Thrifty tends to be highly competitive).

Also, check prices for the fuel types. We paid a little more for an automatic diesel in France but recouped the cost, and more, from our fuel savings (diesel was $1.50 per gallon less than gas/petrol, accounting for metric and currency conversion) -- and the 36 mpg efficiency level of the car also helped. If you get a manual compact that costs $3 less per day than an automatic diesel, consider the savings from the diesel.