People to People

Oct 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

People to People

My wife and I are strongly considering sending our 15 yr old son to Australia for 21 days. It would be through an organization called People to People. Doses anyone have experience wth P2P , or have comments on them?
Oct 18th, 2007, 05:56 AM

there are a few threads on it from last year. in the Europe search thread I put

"people to people" (in quotes) and a few came up. maybe they will be helpful if nobody responds here.
Oct 18th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks _ i tried the Quotes and some threads came up. Nothing came up without the quotes. Now I will read them
Oct 18th, 2007, 06:11 AM

People to People is a for profit tour company that operates under the guise of awards. In the last year they have even expanded to "sports awards". There are many other student tour companies offering comparable products at better prices. It originially started as an award program, but has since become for profit travel. Sadly, many kids get these brochures and really think they are being honored. If you can afford to pay possibly double what other student tour companies charge, then go for it.
Oct 18th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Scroll down to my link and info on this thread.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34873471

This question comes up every year. Any student that will pay the money can be "invited".
Oct 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I think it's like most of those programs for teens that try to get parents to spend a lot of money to let their kid have a vacation abroad, by trying to make them think they are something special or that it is some award. They all cost a fortune, so I don't know why parents fall for that stuff. Many of them hire teachers to perpetuate this marketing ploy, and teachers do it because they get kickbacks for signing up kids, such as a free trip for themselves, or some credits that may count in their school system, or even merchandise. Let's face it, kids are a ripe marketing for teachers to exploit, and these programs don't have too many other ways to influence them as easily as getting teachers to do the selling. They try to make people think it is some honor, by saying they are "invited" or that they are "ambassadors", etc. The main criteria for any of these is that your check doesn't bounce. However, at least P2P does appear to have some programs with some interesting events or activities, I'll admit that, when I checked them out. I think the program may have started out honorably, but morphed into just a for-profit program for anyone. It could still be a fine experience, I think, but it's not cheap.
Oct 19th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. This is making me think a bit
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM

slowmoving,
My niece went to the people to people information session and my sister told me the cost of the Australia trip. It is expensive.

I don't know if she is going to interview for it but I can take her somewhere for a week for a lot less money.
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:16 AM

You might want to look at the Wikipedia entry for this organization, too.
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Now I am thinking, the total cost for the 20 day trip to Australia is probably more than I spent for 4 months in Oz and then 3 weeks in Bali!

LOL!
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Slowmoving - There are many other student tour companies, if your son just wants to do a tour. There are also many study abroad programs. If he only became interested in Australia because of P2P, then I think you need to have a serious talk with him before any travel abroad. Is he really interested in Australia or would he prefer Germany? France? Spain? You really should pick something based on his interests not P2P's (which is taking your money).

Many of us can recommend study/travel programs (language/art, etc.) once you find out his interests.

Some of the top student tour companies are:
www.acis.com
www.cha-tours.com
www.netc.com

Middle range company:
www.passports.com

Some of the bottom of the barrel, but cheaper are:
www.eftours.com
www.explorica.com

If you choose, you can form your own group of students to take on one of these student tours. You do not have to be a teacher. All give one free space for every six paying participants. Any of above that, you can select cash payment.
Oct 19th, 2007, 07:30 AM

kybourbon,

Thanks for the links! I am going to look into them for my niece!