Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

People that have Flown with Checked Luggage this Week.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying this coming week end and then again 2 weeks after that. I usually do only carry on, but ofcourse I can't now, so I was wondering how people who are flying are doing with getting their luggage? I know there is an increase in checked luggage and my experiences before it was mandatory were dismal, so how's it going? Are most people arriving with their luggage or are they having to wait and hope it gets to them sometime or at all? I'm thinking I'll check my backpack and take my carryon with my meds on the plane. That way, I will only have to replace toiletries and make up if its lost.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Flew out of London Heathrow two days ago to Chicago. No problems with our bags at all.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Was your flight a non stop? The 1 we have next week is to Vegas and its a non stop, but the other is to Malaga, Spain and we have to connect in CDG in Paris. I have not heard great things about that airport (or Air France) which we're flying and need some reassurance that in all liklihood my luggage will arrive in Spain sometime while I'm there! Thanks.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM

i fly air france frequently and have no problem with them at all...my last trip in may was a bit rough on the way home because they are still using the temporary waiting areas and gates (boston flight was a bus gate) due to the roof collapse some time ago...the services in these temp. quarters were sparse to say the least...and its a long walk
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I flew Zürich - Heathrow - Seattle with British Airways end of July. Only two out of four bags made Seattle. Our lost luggage was delivered two days later.

I returned last Thursday using the same route. We received all of our suitcases in Zürich. One suitcase was damaged but still closed. Two suitcases had been inspected but nothing was stolen or lost.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Flew Barcelona, Frankfurt, Chicago, Pittsburgh last weekend. No problems with bags; however, missed the flight to Pit due to late take-off from Frankfurt (4x arrival and departure thru Frankfurt over a two week period and all flights were late arriving or taking off). Two weeks prior to the scare, two of my four bags arrived in Venice from Frankfurt BEFORE I did due to late departure, however, this was not found until after spending 1/2 hour in line to claim lost bags. They had our bags in a holding room, thankfully.
Main problem I had with checking liquids was on the flight from Frankfurt to Chicago. I got extremely dry eyes, and had no contact solution (However, I understand small bottles are now allowed). Had to rinse in distilled water requested from F.A.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Flew home from Amsterdam, Tuesday. Checked everything except handbag. Went through normal security, etc and then we had a security check at the departure gate, where they went through everything that anyone was carrying on. They were very polite and professional, but they did throw away quite a lot of cosmetics. Sign said no gel or liquids, and we knew not to take makeup, but a lot of women and men lost a lot of expensive creams, etc. The Chicago flight before ours to Dulles was an hour late taking off and ours was also about an hour late taking off. No problem with luggage.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I am so not excited about travelling in the next few weeks! I can't wait to be in Vegas (for a short time) and I love Southern Spain, but getting there may be not so much fun. It doesn't sound like anything extreme is happening with checked bags, and I'm happy about that, but the situation at CDG may be too much for me. Bad foot, bad knees and I've just had 2 (outpatient surgeries) in 2 weeks. Do you think if I request assistance from Air France, they would include the 3 friends I'm travelling with? We only have 1 and a half hours there and I'm afraid I may be too slow and it will be too far or too confusing to make our connection in time. I know in the US I can usually get assistance.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM

why don't you check with Air France about getting assistance? I think they would comply.

I hope your trip goes well. Good luck.