People, places or sights?

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People, places or sights?

I was blessed with living for 6 years in Germany thanks to Uncle Sam's Army. Both my wife and I greatly enjoyed revisited the country this spring.

First, we enjoyed interacting with Germans, then visiting places that we had lived and finally seeing the sights, in that order. Chance conversations about walking in the rain with my umbrella folded or not getting lost in Rothenburg as it is surrounded by a wall we the highlights of the trip, even if I was the butt of the joke.

So, what are the priorities of others that travel? People, places, sights or something else?

Regards, Gary
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Food, Gary, food!!

Seriously, though, it's an interesting question. For me, it is in a large measure to see and to feel a different culture (and food is certainly a big part of that, as is interaction with people who live there).

But another important aspect is wanting to see specific things, particularly those of historical interest. Put another way, I'd chose a Romanesque church over a beautiful mountain, so I'd probably put natural scenery slightly lower on my list.

Anselm
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Anselm,

Of course, how could I have forgotten food, especially if you include Franken wines in that category.

Thanks for the reminder,

Gary
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Beauty...

Be it a church, museum, food, or local people

I love it all! I try to get a good mix of everything when I travel--I mix museum days with outdoorsy days. But the most lasting memories I have are always of the people and the friendships I've made.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Hmmm... not sure in which order:

scenery
culture
people, if I know the language
food
safety
price of the trip
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
P_M

Excellent list, Faina, but I'd like to add one thing to it, and that's "whether or not I've already been there." I will re-visit places I like, but if I must choose between a repeat and something new, I'll usually go for the place I haven't been already.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I love it all too!
The history, the art, the people, scenery... the flora and the fauna.
I love being somewhere where I've never been and could never really prepare for, no matter how much I read beforehand. I always enjoy people no matter where I go.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Sweetie darling, I go for the booze, the sex, and the drugs.

And if there is a sale at Prada.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM

LOL I'm switching to Polly's list ASAP
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Yes, Polly's list rocks. And don't forget the pickpockets, nothing like getting felt-up for free.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM
P_M

I get felt-up for free every time I go through security at the airport these days. I try to think of it as a free massage.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Last year, I got selected for the "extra-thorough" security check at Dulles. I was running really behind as I had all kinds of flight changes and craziness getting back to the US from Europe.

As I was getting patted down by the airport employee, I moaned several times (I think I only had the guts as I was overtired and haggard from all the travelling). I have to tell you, it was the fastest security check I've been through. They couldn't get me through there fast enough. I was crazy moaning-girl. Hehehe.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
P_M

Hey, that's a great plan to speed up the process--act like you're enjoying it a bit too much. I'll remember that on my next trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Great question Gary.

My priorities for any given trip are different depending where I am. When I go to Ireland, I have lots of friends there - so my priority is spending time with them, seeing things through a native's eyes. When I'm in Italy (It's usually for work, in which case technology is my priority -finding an internet connection) When I was in Rome last month though - history and seeing as much as possible were the priorities.

Security - sheesh - there have been times coming through Frankfurt that I have been so aggressively fondled that I didn't know whether I wanted a shower or a cigarette.

Gary - where were you based in Germany and how long ago? I'm over there working with the military 3 or 4 times a year - next trip 78 days - not that I'm counting!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Ooby. I'd never have the guts, but good for you!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Celtic Dreams,

I was stationed in Landstuhl, Würzburg, Bremerhaven and Nürnberg. It gave me a nice sampling of the country. Landstuhl and Bremerhaven are places that I probably would not have visited as tourist but came to really appreciate as a temporary home.

Another good thing about being stationed in Germany was that you were only a weekend or day drive away so many great places not only in Germany but France, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, etc. It was an experience that would never have expect without Uncle Sam's help.

I also visited Ireland and Italy a couple times. It was all beyond this poor boy's dreams.

Regards, Gary