Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Penthouse suite at Hotel Parc Saint-Severin in Paris?

Dec 30th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Mark

Has anyone stayed in the penthouse suite at the Hotel Parc Saint-Severin in Paris? Will be honeymooning in Paris this spring and the penthouse suite is available for dates we need. Would appreciate any information you have on the hotel and area in general and this suite in particular. Thanks in advance...

Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
Topper

Let's help Mark...

Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
Christina

Nobody has answered your post, so I'll contribute -- I haven't stayed there but it has been mentioned a few times on this forum and I think everyone has liked that hotel; I think the penthouse suite would be lovely. The area is the Latin Quarter, very near the Seine. the advantages are it is very convenient for sightseeing (you can walk to a lot of places), it's only a couple blocks to the Seine, and there are cafes and restaurants around there. Disadvantages from my point of view is that it is a little TOO close to the Seine which is an area which a high concentration of tourists so it can be a little crowded, noisy, and not the best ambience or quality of restaurants, etc around there. At least that is on a somewhat protected side street (there is a McDonald's around the corner and down a bit that attracts tourists and crowds, as well as other fast-food tourist attractions on the pedestrian streets nearby). It is very convenient to the metro. Hard to say what your preferences are, but in that price range I think it is a very good choice, as 3-star penthouse suites in nicer, more spacious areas would be a lot more expensive (I'm guessing you are only paying about 1100F?). If you like being in the middle of the action, you'll love it as you are close to jazz clubs and lots of stuff. It is a relatively safe (just beware of pickpockets etc around there due to high concentration of tourists) and decent area, don't worry. Here are a few websites with some customer comments that may help you: www.paris.org/Hotels, www.hotelboulevard.com and digital.france.com/hotels

Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Mark

Thanks for the info!

Jan 3rd, 2002, 04:58 PM
topper

top again for mark

Jan 4th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Julie

I think you've got a good choice and should snap it up before someone else does. I've not stayed at the hotel but have tried to often, always finding it filled. That tells you something. I first spotted it in a glossy picture book of historic Paris hotels and have been trying to stay there ever since. The suite with balcony and views over the rooftops of Paris looks terrific. We stopped to see the public rooms and they are very nice. The hotel itself is set back off the main street (blvd. st. germain) so I'd guess it's quiet. We stay in a small hotel in the same area and have found many very good restaurants within walking distance--in a driving rain, so I mean very short walking distance--and it's close to metro and RER. I think you can't beat the area and I'm betting that the hotel is about perfect, especially in the bang for the buck department. If you take it and want restaurant suggestions, just e-mail me. Happy to send you several.

Jan 4th, 2002, 09:14 AM
MaryC

Julie

Was that "The Historic Hotels of Paris" by Wendy Arnold. I have that, too. Drool!

Mark, the Parc Saint-Severin has also gotten GREAT reviews in the Duncan Petersen Guide "Charming Small Hotel Guides - Paris". It said that No. 70 (a light, sophisticated & beautifully decorated penthouse suite) was the writer's favourite and that its assets were far greater than "a standard double room at the Pavillon de la Reine or the Relais Christine" that "afforded breathtaking views across the rooftops of all the landmark buildings as far as the Eiffel Tower in one direction, Sacre-Coeur in another".

Sounds perfect to me for a honeymoon. I know I would love you forever! : )

My god, have a WONDERFUL time! Have a GREAT honeymoon. And I wish you the very best in your upcoming nuptials!!!

Jan 4th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Patrick

Care to share with us the rate you have been offered for this penthouse suite? If it is something like 1100 francs, I'd really like to know about it.

Jan 4th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Patrick

And while you're at it, could you tell us how you are booking it? I seem to have trouble finding a direct website to the hotel, just a number of booking agencies which offer choices of standard/deluxe/superior, but no mention of penthouse with terrace. The one site I thought sends a direct email to the hotel, just stalls whenever I fill out the form. If the rate is good, I'm thinking of changing from Le Regent, where I've stayed before, for my week in early September, but only if they can confirm the penthouse suite. I personally like that immediate neighborhood despite the very touristy and busy little restaurant street practically behind it.

Jan 4th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Mark

Thanks everyone for the information. We decided to stay there and have confirmed our reservations.

Regarding booking, I simply e-mailed the hotel directly: [email protected] and requested the penthouse suite (No. 70). They replied promptly and were very courteous. The suite was not available for our last night, but the hotel was willing to work with us and gave us a 6th floor room with balcony for a very reduced rate for that night. The rate for the suite was about 250 Euros per night - substantially more than 1100 francs, but still a pretty good deal I think for a penthouse suite with private elevator and terrace.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the information. I'll definitely post a review when we get back.

Jan 4th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Christina

thanks for the followup on the details -- I was guessing 1200F or so simply because I'd only seen that as the top range of their price list and thought perhaps that was the suite. Guess not, though, but I think your rate is still very good and 250 euros isn't really a whole lot more -- let's see that's about $225 a night, or I guess about 1650F? I think that's very good for that kind of room.

Jan 5th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Mark

I think for some reason the suite is not included on the price list nor did I see it available through some of the booking services. We ran into the same situation with the hotel we originally booked - the Hotel Left Bank Saint-Germain. The Left Bank Saint-Germain is affiliated with Best Western, so we booked a suite through the Best Western reservations department and requested Suite 604, the top floor suite. According to Best Western's information, all suites were the same rate (approx. 228 Euros). There was no problem until I contacted the hotel directly to see if Suite 604 was available. It was, but only at the rate of 305 Euros - over 70 Euros higher than Best Western's price. The hotel explained that particular suite was not part of the "Best Western program", could not be booked through the reservation service. Due primarily to the higher price, we immediately canceled that reservation and booked the Parc Saint-Severin. Anyway, to conclude this rambling message, it looks like suites at some hotels cannot be booked through reservation services. It would probably pay to contact the hotels directly if a suite is needed.

Jan 5th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Mark

One more thing, we found out about the penthouse suite at the Parc Saint-Severin (and Suite 604 at the Left Bank St. Germain for that matter) through Sandra Gustafson's "Great Sleeps Paris". I would highly recommend this book. It not only gives fairly detailed descriptions of the hotels, it also sometimes gives room numbers and descriptions of the nicer rooms. That way, you can specifically request those rooms when booking.

Jan 5th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Patrick

OK, Mark, now you've done it. Thanks to this post, I have just reserved suite #70 (the penthouse suite with terrace) for our week in September and canceled our reservation at Le Regent. Our price is 260 Euros per night, but if it is as nice as it sounds, think it will be worth the extra $60 US per night, especially at the end of a three month trip in Europe. We are hoping that we can spend time relaxing on our rooftop "terrace" if the weather holds out from Sept. 9 to the 16th. I really feel so much more confident holding a printed email confirmation direct from the reservations manager of the actual hotel confirming that we have suite # 70. It doesn't leave much room for a problem like you can sometimes have with a reservation service and what was promised versus what you get. Thank you for this post.

Jan 6th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Mark

Patrick: Glad to help. We'll be there in the early spring and I'll post about the hotel when we get back. That way if the room and hotel aren't as nice as they sound, you would have time to make other arrangements if necessary. So look for my review of the Parc Saint-Severin on this board in early April. Hope you have a great trip!

Apr 8th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Mark

Just got back from my stay at the Hotel Parc Saint-Severin. Overall, very pleased with this hotel (especially the view from the penthouse room). I'll post a more detailed review in the next few days.

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Sue

Will you give it a new heading? I'll be gone for a while and am dying to hear all the details. [about the hotel ;-)]

Apr 8th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Patrick

Mark, what a horrible thing to do! Don't tease us like this. When will we see your report? I'm anxious to hear if this suite is worth all it is costing us and as great as it sounds.

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Mark

Will try to post tonight under a new heading. In my opinion, the view alone is worth the extra cost. Penthouse room (not really a suite, but a VERY large room) had a terrace on three sides with views of the Eiffel Tower, Saint-Severin, the top of Notre Dame, and on clear days, Sacre Cour in the distance. Only drawback to view was all the aerial television antennas. Apparently, cable TV is not a big player in Paris. Kind of disconcerting to see all those historic buildings with 10' tall TV antennas sticking up. Anyway, I'll do my best to post tonight.

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Jan

Anyone know if there's a website for the hotel? I did a search but didn't find anything. Mark, where did you find the email address? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO