Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pentecost in Greece (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pentecost-in-greece-916642/)

nspotz Dec 28th, 2011 11:54 AM

Pentecost in Greece

I've heard that pentecost (this year the weekend of june 2nd, I believe) is a bad weekend to visit the Greek islands. I am planning on being in mykonos or santorini over that weekend and was just wondering if i should consider re-organizing my itinerary as to not be in Greece during those dates? Is it more crowded/expensive/inconvenient? Please let me know what you think! Thanks.

mariha2912 Dec 28th, 2011 12:03 PM

Is it more crowded/expensive? Yes. But you choose the two most crowded/expensive islands anyway...

Inconvenient concerning what?

nspotz Dec 28th, 2011 12:16 PM

Inconvenient as far as getting ferry tickets/plane tickets, getting around and seeing the sights. I realize the islands i am going to will already be crowded and toursity but i was just wondering if the extra crowds during pentecost weekend are bad enough to warrant changing my schedule.

clausar Dec 28th, 2011 12:19 PM

It will certainly affect Mykonos more than Santorini. as it is closer to Athens.
Nothing dramatic though, just avoid to take a ferry or plane on the peak travel days : FRI 1/4, SAT 2/4 towards Islands and MON 4/6 towards Athens.
Mykonos will be more crowded, than on a usual June weekend, Greek celebrities will have their first chance to show off in Bikini..... ( they mostly gather on Psarrou beach...).
Personally i would look at it as a positive experience.....just try not to travel during the above dates.
Religious-wise there won't be any celebrations that you will notice, it is just a long weekend, everybody is waiting for.
Shops, cafes, restaurants etc, they will all be open, as usual.

clausar Dec 28th, 2011 12:23 PM

I would advise you to make your ferry/plane reservations on time, beginning of June is not a bad period to visit the 2 islands, as it is not high season yet, they won't be that crowded like in July or August.

Heimdall Dec 28th, 2011 12:26 PM

No, Pentecost weekend is <i>not</i> a bad weekend to visit the islands. I'm on the islands nearly every year at that time, and although it <i>is</i> a little busier than other early season weekends, it's nowhere near as busy as July and August. Prices are about the same as any other weekend in May/early June.

Islands quick to reach from Athens, e.g. Mykonos, will be busier than others further away from the mainland (who wants to spend half of a three day weekend travelling to/from a distant island?) Just remember that ferries will be crowded going out to the islands on Friday and Saturday morning, and again returning to the mainland on Holy Sprit Monday. If you prebook your rooms and ferries you will be fine. :-)

nspotz Dec 28th, 2011 12:29 PM

Thanks for the advice! Looks like we won't be changing our dates but will be careful not to travel during the beginning or end of the weekend!

Heimdall Dec 28th, 2011 12:35 PM

Clausar, we were posting at the same time, with nearly identical comments. Nspotz, that's Holy <i>Spirit</i> Monday, btw. :-p

clausar Dec 29th, 2011 05:50 AM

Heimdall, as we say in Greek, piase kokkino... touch red.... :)

Heimdall Dec 29th, 2011 10:54 AM

Piase kokkino, clauser. ;-)

Heimdall Dec 29th, 2011 10:56 AM

Clausar...sorry!