Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pensione Accademia or Hotel Flora in Venice?

Apr 1st, 2000, 04:33 AM
Jose

Could anyone tell me which is a better choice between Pensione Accademia and Hotel Flora in Venice?

Thank you

Apr 1st, 2000, 08:27 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Jose
On location alone would pick the FLORA
The ACCADEMIA, is a three star hotel
with 27 rooms, located over the Accademia Bridge, it would be at least
10+ mins to the Pza S. Marco and about
the same to the Ponte Rialto. The
FLORA, is a three star hotel with 44
rooms located about 1 block west of
the Pza S. Marco and about 10 min.
walk to the Ponte Rialto. The location
of the Flora is just off the Calle Larga
XXII Marco, which is the main calle from
the Pza S. Marco and the Accademia.
There are many ristorantes and shops
in this area. If you want a couple
of ristorante suggestions, drop me an
e mail and will reply...
Richard of La Grange Park, IL....

Apr 1st, 2000, 09:17 PM
Diane

I stayed at Pensione Accademia in September 1997 and just loved it. I liked the location as it was very quiet and only a ten minute walk to the sights. They served a great breakfast, too.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 07:08 AM
elaine

I have not stayed at the Accademia, but give an enthusiastic Yes for the Flora.
It has outstanding location, friendly service, an elevator, outstanding location, beautiful courtyard in which to enjoy your free breakfast, outstanding location, and services such as laundry if you are interested. The rooms are on average small, but I suspect they are in most 3-stars.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 08:14 AM
karie

I am not familiar with the flora but have stayed at the accademia, which was great. one thing to think about...the accademia is a pleasant walk away from everything...even the walk itself is a so enjoyable. if you like to be right in the middle of everything, maybe the flora is for you. but if you like to get away a bit from the bustle and have a bit of quiet, then maybe the accademia is your best choice. the staff was great and it really is a lovely place. ask for one of the rooms overlooking the rear garden.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 09:49 AM
Duck

I agree with Karie. The walk is so pleasant I would recommend the Accademia. We stayed there in October and it is outstanding. We were lucky and received Room 12 which is the most requested room. It faces towards the front of the hotel and the bathroom window overlooks another canal. Outstanding.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 11:33 AM
sheri

I don't know anything about Hotel Flora, but I did stay at the Pensione Accademia in January and LOVED IT! The location was fantastic--I personally liked being out of the busy San Marco-Rialto axis (even in January, those calles were always packed with people), yet within close walking distance of both (10-15 minutes max). Plus the charm of the hotel was immense; it was such a great oasis to come back to at the end of each day. And I loved the neighborhood, especially walking past the Guggenheim museum to the church at the eastern end of the Dorsoduro (Santa Maria della Salute) and also the broad walkway on the southern side, overlooking the Canale della Guidecca.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 01:28 PM
shelly M

It sounds like either of these is a good choice.
Can anyone remember what the the rates were?

Sm

Apr 3rd, 2000, 05:32 PM
Josť

Any other ideas?