Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pensione Accademia in Venice...negotiate room rate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the reviews and this seems like a good place to stay. There will be 2 of us in Venice for 4 nights in November and we were quoted 183E per night, the maximum price. Am I able to negotiate a lower price since this is in November or is this a good deal? Thank you! If you prefer any hotels in this price range instead of Accademia, I am open to suggestions. TIA.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Or what would be your choice between Accademia, Ca Satriano and La Calcina? These are the 3 we are torn between. We prefer a romantic and cozy room/location.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:25 AM

Accademia and la Calcina, both are good. With La Calcina, I would request a corner room with a GREAT view to Giudecca Canal if available. That would still be like EUR160 or so in November. I have not stayed at Ca Satriano.

For EUR183, did Accademia confirmed you a standard double? If you are having a superior double, it's a good deal. FYI, last November, I paid EUR175.00 for a superior double. Negotiating? I don't know. Accademia is such a popular hotel.

Maybe they quoted you a highseaon rate by mistake?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 04:19 AM

How do you know 183E is "the maximum price"? Is this for a standard room? If it's more than you want to spend, perhaps they have a different room that's less. I doubt they negotiate.

I think I recall a thread here comparing La Calcina & Accademia. You might try a text search. I vaguely recall someone saying La Calcina's breakfast is all cold while Accademia has eggs, ham etc. if that matters to you. I don't know Ca Satriano. If you were going in warmer weather, I might lean toward La Calcina because of their roof deck, but in November, I'm not sure it matters. I loved having a water view (at Accademia). I've said it a million times, for me, in Venice, a water view is a must.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 06:37 AM
ira

Hi Jenna,

Fax, email or call back and ask if they have something less expensive.

Hotels usually offer their best rooms first.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:10 AM

JennaJ: You don't mention when in November you will be in Venice. I noticed that the lower rates in November tend to be later in the month - I'm basing this on La Calcina's website for hi/med/low season dates. Does Accademia's website reflect anything? Just a thought...
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Had some time so found a few of the older threads on Accademia vs La Calcina. Have fun reading

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34454450

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34423662

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34373761

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1322311

Ca Satriano also could be interesting (I like the sound of the location for November) but I wasn't impressed with the photos of the rooms I saw.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've stayed twice at Pensione La Calcina and high recommend it. It was in August and I haven't stayed anywhere else, so can't help more than that.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses! We will be there in early November and according to their website (and guaranteed standard double w/view) 183E is their price and it states that is the maximum for that time of year. Ira-I will email and fax them to see if they offer a better rate, but we may just suck it up! Mclaurie--thanks for the links, it helped make our decision!