Peniscola, Castellon or Salou, Spain

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Peniscola, Castellon or Salou, Spain

My sister and I are planning a trip to Spain in May. We are confused on the location of a city. It looks like if we go to Peniscola, Castellon we could take side trips to France. But we also like a resort in Salou. Can anyone shed some light on these two areas? Which would get the most bang for our tourist pleasure? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:39 AM

Hi Donna,
You need to understand the location of these 3 towns to be able to decide. Unless you have a Ferrari, you will not be making any side trips to France from either Peniscola or Castellon. They are located WAY to the south, not in the Costa Brava or Costa Dorada at all, but north of Valencia.

Even Salou is not convenient for France since it is south of Barcelona, in fact south-west of Tarrogona.

Regarding pros-and-cons, it depends on what you like. Since you seem set on Salou, I will presume that you sleep late and party late, and that nature, scenery, history, etc are of lesser importance. If I am wrong, then I suggest that you seriously revise your destination plans.

More things - how much time do you have?; are you coming by plane?; will you start from Barcelona?; will you have a car or do you intend to rely on bus/train?

Let us know and then I am sure that the forum will be able to help you better.

Peter
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:46 AM

Hi,

I agree with Peter. I live in the States but I spent every summer since I was born in Peniscola because my mother is from there. If you're thinking of partying then go to Salou however the beauty of Peniscola has nothing to do with Salou. Also don't forget that in May the weather will be not to hot so if you're looking for heat you should go further south Alicante, etc.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

No Peter we are definitely not party people, so we have decided on Peniscola. The web map we had from the time share was way off. So side trips to France are off the agenda. But we do love history, natural beauty and local culture and color, so any help with side trips around Peniscola will be appreciated. We would also like to do some light biking. We will arrive either in Madrid or Barcelona and take a train to Peniscola. Any help Lourdes and Peter and anyone else can give us on the region, must sees, etc. is always greatly appreciated
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 01:31 AM

Donna,
Congratulations on your choice. You would have hated Salou. The historic old town of Peniscola is a delight - squiggly-wiggly streets and a fabulous site on the peninsula. The castle has magnificent views.

The closest train station is at Benicarló/Peñíscola, either via Barcelona or via Madrid-Valencia - try to organise Barcelona as you air destination - less hassle. Then taxi or hire car to Peniscola (does your timeshare have parking?).

Try to take a trip to Valencia while you are there - nice historic quarter; great for leather. Closer by are Benicarlo and Vinaros, both fishing ports. Beaches to the north are long and wide. To the south - more coves and "interesting". I found the following web site useful when I was chosing time-share destinations:
http://www.cisa.es/english/turistica/cisa_peniscola.asp

Que les vaya bien,

Peter