Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pendini in Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pendini-in-florence-73099/)

Jackie May 22nd, 2000 07:05 PM

Pendini in Florence?

Has anyone stayed in a 2Room Family Suite for 3 people at the Hotel Pendini? Will you please share your comments about the hotel? Thanks. It seems there are many other hotels that have more reasonable rates,and I wonder is it "worth" it? This will run us about $200per night with breakfast. Also, has anyone stayed at the REsidenza San Pantaleo in Roma?

Paulo May 23rd, 2000 06:04 AM

I don't know the suite. You should ask if it overlooks the square. If that's the case and if you're going in the summer it may be quite noisy till late at night. In summer, activity (music groups, etc) in the square may go on well past midnight. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Victor May 23rd, 2000 06:51 AM

I'll also be staying at the Hotel Pendini in early June. I'd appreciate any comments about this hotel. I'm also considering staying at the Plaza Lucchesi if anyone has info on that hotel as well.

Jackie May 23rd, 2000 12:31 PM

Paulo: Thanks for your response. I was told by the hotel that none of the suites overlook the piazza (the square); they overlook the "courtyard"? Do you remember a courtyard? I think that my main concern is that in guidebooks, on web pages, it states that many of the rooms are well furnished. It doesn't say anything about the other rooms. I feel like a fool questioning this, but still I hate to anticipate a room like the pictures and get something considerably less "comfortable." <BR> <BR>Also, how was breakfast, and what about lounge areas...? <BR> <BR>Victor: I hope you will post some comments when you get back-- Have a great trip. <BR>

me May 23rd, 2000 12:50 PM

Hi Jackie, <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Pendini in Feb. '99. Our room faced the courtyard. We were several floors up, so I couldn't see the bottom of the courtyard, or what might be there - mostly we could just see the rooms across the way which seemed to be offices. Actually, the lobby at the Pendini is several floors up, so I'm not sure they have access to the courtyard. It was very quiet at night. <BR> <BR>I should tell you that the room was a little worn - carpet needed replacing, bedspread a little tired, some water stains on ceiling. These are just little things, but they are things that don't show up on website photos. We still enjoyed our stay, but I mention them because you won't get exactly what the pictures show. It may be that the suites are a lttle better cared for. <BR> <BR>We never used the sitting area, but the breakfast room was very bright - beautiful tall windows, and the food was fine - some cereal, fruit, bread, cheese, etc. <BR> <BR>If you do stay there, have lunch one day at Gilli in the piazza - fun people watching and nice salads. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

Paulo May 24th, 2000 02:54 AM

We've stayed at the Pendini some 8 years ago. We also got a room in the back and it was pretty quiet. As described above, the "pensione" occupies two floors on the top of an historic arcaded building. The whole setting is old fashioned. Our room had brass beds and a nice antique wardrobe but was pretty worn out. We didn't feel "cheated" because the rates were very low (in July). The bathroom was modern and confortable. The public lounge is family oriented, with an old piano and tables. The breakfast room is very big, bright and has a nice view of a side street. Continental breakfast was substantial. The landlords were very friendly. At the time, they said that they would be renovating hotel rooms shortly. Don't know if they did. <BR> <BR>Summing it up, we would return if the price was right. In 1997 it wasn't and we stayed elsewhere. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>