Notices

Peloponnese/Nafplion as home base ?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Manny

Peloponnese/Nafplion as home base ?

We are going to be in Greece for a week in early June, and we're spending the first 2 1/2 days in the Peloponnese (and then we are spending 5 days in the islands). I've got two questions regarding the Peloponnese I really need help with!

1) Is it a good idea to use Nafplion as a home base for the whole 2 1/2 days (3 nights) ? We'd really prefer to stay in one place (and Nafplion is beautiful), but I also realize that the driving distances are fairly long.

2) Which of the following three itineraries should we do ?
a) day 1 - Epidaurus, Mycenae, Tiryns; day 2 - Mystra, Monemvassia

b) day 1 - Epidaurus, Mycenae, Tiryns; day 2 - Olympia

c) day 1 - Epidaurus, Mycenae, Tiryns; day 2 - cross the strait of Corinth at Patras/Rion, see Delphi on the way back to ATH

Thanks!!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:39 AM
George

See the topped thread, "car rental in the Peloponese", and " Nafplio to Mistra" for great tips.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:54 AM
ppp

I´m not quite sure I understood your questions. There´s no way you'd be able to visit both Mistrás and Monevassia as a daytrip. You'd be 6+ hours on the road. Mistrás is perfectly "doable" (about 3:30 hours on the road) but if you want to include Monavassia you´d have to spend a night there. A daytrip to Olympia wouldn´t pay. you´d be in the road for 5+ hours and the site doesn't justify that. From Nafplio to Delfi, via Olympia, the drive would take a shade under 6 hours. In principle, you could leave Nafplio in the early morning, get to Olympia some 2:30 hours later, stop for a 2-hour visit and arrive in Delfi around 4pm. You could go directly to the site and visit the Athena Pronaia grounds and the Castalian fountain (if not closed to the public). In the late afternoon you may visit Arachova, possibly staying for dinner. Next day morning you´d reserve for the Sacred Way and Museum and drive back to Athens in the afternoon. It would be ionteresting to visit Osios Loukas on your way to Athens, but you won´t have the necessary time.

It´s not clear at what time do you expect to arrive in Nafplio. If you´re driving from Athens, you may consider visiting Epidavros enroute. This would enable you to avoid going back and forth the next day. The driving time from Athens to Nafplio via Epidavros takes less than 2:30 hours. If you´re able to spare some 3 hours for visiting the site you´ll be fine. When driving from Epidavros to Nafplio, you may decide to make a late afternoon stop in Tolo. You´ll need over 4 hours to make a thorough visit to Mycenae. Tyrins may be visited in 30 minutes. This will leave you with available time to either enjoy the sites in Nafplio or eventually visit the ancient town of Argos (very close to Mycenae).

Now, the question remains on which option to take. If you want to relax, I´d stay the 3 nights in Nafplio with a daytrip to very interesting Mistrás. If you don´t mind driving quite a bit, I´d visit Epidavros enroute to Nafplio, spend the next day in Náfplio and immediate surroundings and leave early (7:30am) to Delfi via Olympia.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:54 AM
ppp

I´m not quite sure I understood your questions. There´s no way you'd be able to visit both Mistrás and Monevassia as a daytrip. You'd be 6+ hours on the road. Mistrás is perfectly "doable" (about 3:30 hours on the road) but if you want to include Monavassia you´d have to spend a night there. A daytrip to Olympia wouldn´t pay. you´d be in the road for 5+ hours and the site doesn't justify that. From Nafplio to Delfi, via Olympia, the drive would take a shade under 6 hours. In principle, you could leave Nafplio in the early morning, get to Olympia some 2:30 hours later, stop for a 2-hour visit and arrive in Delfi around 4pm. You could go directly to the site and visit the Athena Pronaia grounds and the Castalian fountain (if not closed to the public). In the late afternoon you may visit Arachova, possibly staying for dinner. Next day morning you´d reserve for the Sacred Way and Museum and drive back to Athens in the afternoon. It would be ionteresting to visit Osios Loukas on your way to Athens, but you won´t have the necessary time.

It´s not clear at what time do you expect to arrive in Nafplio. If you´re driving from Athens, you may consider visiting Epidavros enroute. This would enable you to avoid going back and forth the next day. The driving time from Athens to Nafplio via Epidavros takes less than 2:30 hours. If you´re able to spare some 3 hours for visiting the site you´ll be fine. When driving from Epidavros to Nafplio, you may decide to make a late afternoon stop in Tolo. You´ll need over 4 hours to make a thorough visit to Mycenae. Tyrins may be visited in 30 minutes. This will leave you with available time to either enjoy the sites in Nafplio or eventually visit the ancient town of Argos (very close to Mycenae).

Now, the question remains on which option to take. If you want to relax, I´d stay the 3 nights in Nafplio with a daytrip to very interesting Mistrás. If you don´t mind driving quite a bit, I´d visit Epidavros enroute to Nafplio, spend the next day in Náfplio and immediate surroundings and leave early next day (7:30am) to Delfi via Olympia.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Manny

Thanks! That is incredibly helpful!

To clarify, we are going to arrive at the Athens airport at 3pm on Day 0, and I was planning to drive directly to Nafplio from there. (I figure it'll be too late in the day to see Epidaurus, unfortunately.) We then have only two whole days in the Peloponnese, and on Day 3 we are flying out mid-day to Santorini.

Your points are very good. We'll have the unfortunate constraint that if we go to Mistras and Monemvassia, and stay in Monemvassia on Day 2, that leaves us too far from Athens to get to the airport by mid-day. And if I am choosing between Mistras and Delphi to go to, I'd definitely pick Delphi.

So the best plan is probably to go to Delphi on Day 2, since we don't mind a fair bit of driving. On the other hand, I worry that we won't get to Delphi until it's too late in the day to see anything. Do you have a sense of how long it takes to get from Napflio to Delphi (including the ferry crossing) ?

Thanks again!!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:31 PM
ppp

From Nafplio to Delfi, via Rio-Andirio ferry crossing, you'll need a shade over 4 hours nonstop. The ferry crossing is very fast (20 min?) and (apparently) there are ferries that leave one after the other (our waiting time (the other way round) was exactly zero You may save some (about 1/2 hour) if you take the route through Thiva, bactracking to Corinth and leaving the autoroute when you get to Elefsina, before reaching Athens.

I estimate the driving time between the airport and Delfi at 3 hours and between the airport and Nafplio at 2:30 hours. In principle, therefore, it may be more interesting to drive to Delfi in day 0. If you're able to get your car not later than 4:30pm, you'd be in Arachova around 7pm. You could stop there (including dinner) before getting to your hotel (in Delfi?). I didn't see anything that attracted me in Delfi in the evening. Arachova is very nice and appealing. This way, you would be in position to visit Delfi the way it should be. It's much nicer to be at the site in the morning. You may save the museum for after lunch, if you wish. In case you're early (before the gates open to the Sacred Way, you may start your visit by the Athena Pronaia site on the other side of the road (no gates) and the Castalian Fountain. Leaving Delfi around 3pm would get you to Nafplio in a reasonable hour.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Carolina

Hi,
I know it is tempting to want to see everything, but if you are not very careful all you will see is traffic and roads.
I would spend the whole time in the Nafplio area - there is so much to see and it would cut down on the driving.
From Nafplio, you can easily visit Mycenae, Corinth, Tyrins and Epidaurus. We also visited Nemea - an interesting, but less famous site. Monemvasia and Mystras are a long way off. Delphi is wonderful - but you need more time.
Best of luck,
Carolina

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:46 PM
fiona

have to agree with carolina. We were based in Tolon which is a bus ride away from Nafplion. We spent 7 days touring and did not see everything we wanted to.One of the best tours ended up at the monastery where the Greeks signed their independence - the name escapes me now.When I remember I'll add to this!! I see you are visiting islands- one that is close to where you are based is Hydra. It's the most beautiful Greek island I've visited and I've been to quite a few!!!
So, stay with the sites that are manageable and you have a good excuse to return! Enjoy your stay.