Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pelion Peninsula - getting around? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pelion-peninsula-getting-around-341013/)

calla Jul 25th, 2003 08:23 AM

Pelion Peninsula - getting around?

We will be travelling to Greece during October for 2 weeks, read about Pelion peninsula which is fantastic. Anyone visited there before, and how do you find the place? We are thinking of getting around the villages using public transport instead of driving, any useful website to recomend to get details such as timetable from point to point and the frequency.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers

yipper Jul 25th, 2003 10:23 AM

Hi,
This is a wonderful area of Greece. It is not large, but it has very steep hills/mts. We drove and I did not mind it, but there were very few guard rails. Some of the area has apple orchards and there are a lot of streams and places to stop and fill up your water bottels. The water is cool and comes form the Mts. There are paths to walk and climb. The food in this area is wonderful. The herbs are different and delightful. The beach we went to, St.James, was small white marble pebbles with blue water. Bring water shoes. Unfortunately I do not know about public transportation. This area was not very busy in the beginning of July and I did not see buses, but I would think there would be some going and coming from Volos. If you can get to Volos you could see about renting a car there. I do know that there are ferries that take you to different islands near there. There is also a hydrofoil from Volos to Skiathos island, which is suppose to have wonderful sandy beaches and is pine covered. I think there is a tourist information center in the Pelion. Do a search on google and see if you can find out more. Please do a trip report when you return. I have always wanted to return to this area. I think it is a hidden "Cinque Terre type" place.
Enjoy, Yipper

Theodora Jul 25th, 2003 12:13 PM

Hi Calla,
I'm just heading out there tomorrow, and will be using a lot of public transportation to get around the area, so I'll let you know when I get back.

Theodora Aug 11th, 2003 09:50 AM

Hi Calla,
The Pelion is superbly beautiful with heavenly sea views, cobblestone streets, and lots of apple, orange, lemon, pear, fig, grape and pomegranite trees. It is extremely peaceful and the villages and you can enjoy beautiful moments of strolling and relaxing over a frappe in the villages. I have a printout of a the bus schedules which are good until Novemeber and if you choose to do this route, you should base yourself in Volos. From Volos it costs 1Euro to Makrynitsa and Portaria, 2Euro to Miles and Vizitsa and these run frequently. There are about 3 busses to Agios Ioannis, Platania, and Tsangarda.
However, I think it is good to rent a car in Volos, if you want to hit as many villages as possible especially the beaches. The roads are not that bad and there are really great beaches in the Pelion. If you want I can send you the bus schedule.

Intrepid Aug 11th, 2003 01:56 PM

Your "public transport" will almost certainly have to consist of busses since scheduled rail service only runs as far as Volos. Renting a car there might be the best plan as you'd get maxiumu flexibility to see the various small villages and beaches.

jstockler Aug 12th, 2003 12:37 PM

Theodora--what towns specifically did you hit in the Pelion? Any recommendations for where to stay? We're down from Meteora to there for a few days and are always looking for suggestions. Thanks.

kittycatangel Aug 17th, 2003 01:37 AM

I found staying in Volos the best place for a base. It has a wonderful harbourfront which extends far around lined with numerous cafes and restaurants and even a little fair with rides. I liked it because it is more exciting at night. I think it is great if you have a car and visit the villages and beaches from there. I found Makrynista the most beautiful. From the town square you can sit and eat and enjoy the spectacular view of Volos and the whole Pelion. Portaria is a short walk or drive down from there and there is a beautiful trail leading to various streams, waterfalls and wooden bridges, as well as a cafe that sits above the view. Also interesting was Miles and Vizitsa which are close by. There is a beach called Kalo Nero on the way and it is sort of a little resort town. But the better beaches were Milopotamas and Agios Ioannis. And while you are around the area, Tsangarda is also remarkably beautiful to visit. The villages are extremely quiet and that is why I suggest to visit them during the day

Theodora Aug 17th, 2003 01:42 AM

I am not sure why my post came under another name. I think the above poster chose to remember the sign in name under a public computer?

I found staying in Volos the best place for a base. It has a wonderful harbourfront which extends far around lined with numerous cafes and restaurants and even a little fair with rides. I liked it because it is more exciting at night. I think it is great if you have a car and visit the villages and beaches from there. I found Makrynista the most beautiful. From the town square you can sit and eat and enjoy the spectacular view of Volos and the whole Pelion. Portaria is a short walk or drive down from there and there is a beautiful trail leading to various streams, waterfalls and wooden bridges, as well as a cafe that sits above the view. Also interesting was Miles and Vizitsa which are close by. There is a beach called Kalo Nero on the way and it is sort of a little resort town. But the better beaches were Milopotamas and Agios Ioannis. And while you are around the area, Tsangarda is also remarkably beautiful to visit. The villages are extremely quiet and small and that is why I suggest to visit them during the day. You will find that you spend most time sitting in a restaurant in the square and just doing a little stroll around the cobblestone paths.