Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Peat fires in September or will it be too warm? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/peat-fires-in-september-or-will-it-be-too-warm-84490/)

Linda Aug 27th, 2000 11:05 AM

Peat fires in September or will it be too warm?

I feel silly asking this question, but I've changed my travel arrangements so that I wouldn't be in Ireland during the height of the tourist season (August). Everyone mentions the lovely peat fires in the various B&Bs. Do you think it will be too warm the last week in September for lighting evening fireplaces?

hmh Aug 27th, 2000 11:15 AM

Hi, Having been to Ireland five times over the years, in Spring, Summer, and Fall, it is never too warm for peat fires. When visiting relatives, they often lighted a fire in the evening, no matter how warm the day might have been. The smell of peat is in the air, in smaller towns and villages. As prosperous as Ireland has become, since my first trip in 1976, some people do not use electricty all the time, due to high cost. If you are staying in B&Bs, in smaller towns, you could probably ask your host/hostess to light a peat fire--I'm sure they would, if they have the peat. My relatives own a peat bog area, some distance from their home, and they still harvest peat to dry and use during the winter.

Cathy Aug 27th, 2000 01:22 PM

Linda, <BR>In Ireland we do not call them peat fires but turf fires - same thing only a different term. The last week or so in August has been very wet and cold as I currently type this message I have a fire burning in my fireplace (complete with admiring friends from Central Europe discussing the atmospheric fire etc surrounding it). I would suggest that you ask at the B&Bs but also don't forget that many genuine irish pubs also have fires - not just for the touristic effect but rather for the practical reason of heating water via a back boiler system. Where are your plans taking you ? If you would like some suggestions on where to visit such pubs I will be happy to oblige. <BR> <BR>At the Bunratty Folk Park some of the houses have turf fires burning. the only problem you might run into in getting the fire lit is the weather - the forecast is for sun and no rain for the coming week (which is a vast improvement on the floods we have been having for the past 10 days). If you haven't already booked all your accommodation there are some real old houses that take in guests & many have fireplaces - Temple House in Sligo is one where the guest retire to the sitting room and fire after dinner and mix with their hosts. Check out other places via www.hidden-ireland.com. <BR> <BR>If you would like to see turf been cut and hear the history of the bogs (where it is cut) then take either of the bog train tours in the Midlands (one in West Offaly and the other in Longford). I took the Clonmacnoise & WEst Offaly tour recently with some American friends & they loved it (It reminded me of long summers cutting turf and turning it by hand and having bad back as a result) but it was very informative and everyone got an opportunity to cut turf by hand like it was done in the past before machines. My 2 friends brought home two sods of turf and we had a fire that evening complete with post dinner hot whiskeys. (it was a cold miserable day). The tour we took is on the Clonmacnoise and West Offaly Railway and it is run by Bord na Mona and takes place daily from April to late Oct, the train leaves every hour on the hour (and it is an enclosed train so no need to worry about the weather). It goes around a 5 1/2 mile circle of the Blackwater bog and you are able to see cutaway bog (where turf was cut by hand), the raised bog area, lakes, woodlands and wetlands. it will all be gone in about 20 years as the conversation programme plans to grow trees on the bog when the turf supply is exhausted. The modlands in particular has a lot of bog but this tour and one in Longford are the only ones where you will be able to have an insight into the workings of the bogs and their history. For more information telephone 00-353-905-74114 or fax 74210 (same prefixes) If dialling from Ireland drop 00-353 and add a 0 before 905. Be warned leave plenty of time to find it - we travelled from the Kilbeggan Whiskey Distillery and it took us over a hour to find it (and I know the back roads of Ireland like the rooms in my own house) <BR> <BR>Have a great time and I hope you get your fire. Post if you need any more help <BR> <BR>Cathy

Tim Aug 28th, 2000 05:02 AM

Obviously, you've never been to Ireland :). As a previous poster said, it's NEVER too warm in Ireland for a fire. <BR> <BR>However, not all of the B&Bs will have an open fire where they can burn peat. More and more people (even my mother-in-law) have converted to oil heating, and many have decided not to keep a working fire. You'll probably have more luck in a small inn that's going for ambiance, or in pubs (Rotterdam Pub in the docks area in Belfast almost always has a turf fire going--just order a chicken and cheese toasty, coffee, and enjoy yourself.

Linda Aug 28th, 2000 07:19 AM

Thanks so much Hmh, Cathy and Tim, <BR>Cathy, we'll only be able to see the south/west region as we only have 7 days. We are flying into Shannon. There is a company I may use to do the B&B and rental car bookings for us(Mo'g Irish Travel Plans), but if you have lodging suggestions I'd be thrilled to here them. Yes, this is my 1st trip to Ireland and I'd like to make the most of it. I here the Dingle peninsula is especially gorgeous.

Kathy Aug 28th, 2000 03:56 PM

We (my husband and I) spent thefirst 2 weeks in October in Ireland 3 years ago. Most or our trip was directed at Donegal and the Midlands. <BR>They used the fires in most of the hotels that we stayed in. It was a wonderful warm smell. We loved it. <BR>We are headed back the middle 2 weeks to try more of the September weather without the crowds. This time we are driving around the South West and Midlands and hopefully get back to Donegal.Travelling around in a rented car and mapping out our own trip was great. I think you'll enjoy the evenings and the days for that matter. Have fun <BR>

Cathy Aug 28th, 2000 04:14 PM

Linda, <BR>Why not use the free listings of B&Bs on the Irish Tourist Board site - www.ireland.travel.ie and chose your own B&Bs. They are all accredied and you should have no problems and no doubt you will save money. There are lots and lots of B7Bs in the areas you are heading to, just post a request with the names of the areas you wish to stay in and you should get a good response and genuine reviews as opposed to a travel agent's comments. Check some of the sites I mentioned in my previous posting <BR> <BR>By the way Tim I do have an oil cooker like your mother-in-law but many Irish houses also have open fires in their sitting rooms etc, and this is what Linda was looking for. Don't knock her dreams and assist. <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR>

hmh Aug 28th, 2000 07:23 PM

I second the idea about using the Irish Tourist Board information site. We used it in '98, not necessarily for pre-booking, but to determine what was available, costs, and were able to make some decisions about where we might stay after leaving relatives in Skibbereen. We were there in mid-September, and we had every kind of weather from very warm weather at Waterville and Dingle, to heavy rain and wind, when my husband played golf at Lahinch--all within four days. Hope you have a great time.

hmh Aug 28th, 2000 07:27 PM

I second the idea of using the Irish Tourist Board site. We used it in '98--not necessarily to pre-book, but tod give us some idea of the type and cost of accomodations, and about where we might stay after leaving Skibbereen where we visited my relatives. We were there in mid-September and had every kind of weather, from very warm in Waterville and Dingle, to heavy wind and rain when my husband played golf in Lahinch. Have a good time.