Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   payment for train tickets declined by en.voyages-sncf.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/payment-for-train-tickets-declined-by-en-voyages-sncf-com-1014181/)

rebk May 13th, 2014 06:48 AM

payment for train tickets declined by en.voyages-sncf.com

I was trying to purchase tickets for Strasbourg-Metz-Paris, but voyages-sncf websire regected my payments. Any idea why??

What should I do?

Thanks

Dukey1 May 13th, 2014 07:01 AM

I would immediately call my credit card issuer and ask if they are declining the charges.

rebk May 13th, 2014 07:15 AM

I called they are saying that they didn't decline anything because no transaction came through them

Dukey1 May 13th, 2014 07:23 AM

Then try again

mjdh1957 May 13th, 2014 07:34 AM

Alternatively, use www.capitainetrain.com which seems to be easier for foreign users with credit cards.

StCirq May 13th, 2014 07:48 AM

Don't bother with the credit card company rigmarole. SNCF doesn't like American credit cards and wants you to jump through hoops to get your cc acceptable to them. It has nothing to do with your bank. Just use www.capitainetrain.com, which has exactly the same schedules and prices as SNCF, and you should have no problem.

Dukey1 May 13th, 2014 07:52 AM

I guess this is one of those things First time travelers to Europe never seem to understand.

JoyC May 13th, 2014 08:34 AM

I just purchased tickets yesterday using the voyages-sncf website. On my first try using VISA, it was rejected. They asked for another card. I then used AMEX which was accepted. I got the e-ticket immediately.

Today I booked the return...but this time I used capitainetrain.com. The VISA card which was rejected yesterday was accepted by the website. Have not received the e-ticket yet, which they said can take a few hours to be sent through my email.

kerouac May 13th, 2014 09:30 AM

The SNCF site has become very strict about the cards that it accepts. Even living in France, I cannot complete a Visa transaction without receiving an SMS code to enter on the site before the transaction is accepted.

tomboy May 13th, 2014 06:03 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what's an SMS code, and who sends it to you, and how, and what triggers them to send it?

StCirq May 13th, 2014 06:11 PM

It's a text message. The company sends you a code by text on your phone to use on their website.

rebk May 13th, 2014 07:34 PM

Help!!!!!!
I just purchased tickets Strasbourg-Metz and Metz-Paris.
First of all its says on the ticket Metz Ville-is it correct station?

Second of all, I put by mistake my first name in place of last name and last name in place of first name. What should I do now? I emailed voyages-sncf.com
about my mistake, but would they answer me??

Any advice?

historytraveler May 13th, 2014 07:43 PM

Yet another reason for using Captainetrain. Sorry can't help you.

JAMH May 13th, 2014 10:04 PM

Metz Ville is the main train station in Metz.

bvlenci May 14th, 2014 01:25 AM

I'm sure the name switch won't be a problem. Before boarding the train, no one will check your ticket. If on the train the ticket inspector questions it, they're certainly not going to throw you off the train for a simple mistake like that. Just show your passport or other ID to the inspector, and explain the transposition.

Christina May 14th, 2014 09:29 AM

I wouldn't worry about the name thing, either. They conductor will check your ticket on the train, but probably won't even take note the names are reversed. If he does, given they are your names, I think he would care that much. It's a simple mistake. Now I've never done it, so am speculating, but I wouldn't worry about it myself.

rebk May 14th, 2014 05:23 PM

thanks

MarySteveChicago May 15th, 2014 10:11 PM

Happened to us last night on Captaine Train. We wrongly assumed it was our credit card. It had to do with the trin being full!

RajatMakar Jan 28th, 2016 09:12 AM

I too faced same issue at SNCF site with my Mastercard now. First try, it got rejected after entering card details. On Second try, it went till I entered the sms auth code and then got rejected. I dont think my card got charged though as I didnt get any sms for the charge.

The same card has worked like a charm in last 2 weeks for numerous bookings in Airbnb, booking.com, SBB etc.

I will try SNCF again tomorrow , else get the job done through SBB (TGV Lyria) or Captaintrain.

RajatMakar Jan 28th, 2016 09:24 AM

Tried Capitaine Train and booking done in a jiffy with same card. The interface is also much more user friendly. Received the tickets instantly by email.