Paying for hotels in Turkey

Mar 16th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Paying for hotels in Turkey

Many of the hotels that I have contacted in Istanbul, Kusadasi and Bodrum will offer about 10% if I pay in cash. They still take my CC# for reservations. Is this normal? I wouldn't mind 10% a honeymoon suite!

Also, for those of you who have done this, what currency did you pay in?

Thanks!
Mar 16th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Neopolitan

I only got such an offer from one, in Bodrum. We paid in US dollars -- the only way they would offer the discount. And yes, the exchange rate was great too.
At the time hotels were only quoting prices in US dollars as their currency was so unstable. That was in 2000.

Mar 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

some of the hotels are quoting prices in euros or turkish lira. any suggestions for how to confirm the actual amount i will pay once i get there? just keep any emails as "proof"?
Mar 16th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Yes, this is normal and not only in Turkey. If you pay in cash the hotel does not have to fork over the fee to the credit card company. Just ask what currency they have quoted by e-mailing them and keep it as proof when you check out. Many Turkish shops will also offer discounts for cash. I used Turkish lira for most purchases last fall but many hotels will also take euro or USD. By the way, last month I bought a fairly expensive item from an antique shop here in New York and accepted a discount for paying in cash (personal check) rather than credit card.
Mar 19th, 2006, 06:34 AM

They ask the c.card by mail oredr form to secure the resrvation and once you are there you decide to pay cash and get discount or not. If you pay cash you ask your form to be teared off.
May this practice could be becouse of taxes and probable cash flow management ?

Happy travelling,
Murat