Reload this Page >

Patricia Well's Food Guide to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Kavey

Trying to repost Kavey's thread ... <BR> <BR>OK this thread will probably not contribute to the Forum’s wealth of knowledge but I am excited. <BR> <BR>After meeting a friend for a very nice dinner on Thursday evening(in Brown’s near Leicester Square tube, £10 pre theatre menu) we decided to wonder in the pouring rain up to Oxford Street. <BR> <BR>On the way I popped into one of those bargain basement book stores and this is what I found. One single remaining copy of Patricia Wells excellent book for only £3.99 UK. <BR> <BR>It practically had my name on it!! <BR> <BR>Has anyone else used this book? <BR> <BR>It’s gorgeous just to read about these places – and I cant wait for my next trip to Paris. <BR> <BR>It shows copyright 1999 and was revised and updated then. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Paulo

Hope you don't mind having posted in your name, Kavey ... <BR> <BR>It appears to be working now. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Judy

Thanks Paulo for helping out! Kavey: What a perfect moment of Serendipity! Don't you just love when that happens! Let me know about the book, it sounds fabulous! Judy

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Paulo

To the top for Kavey ...<BR>Paulo<BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 01:13 PM
kav

Thanks Paulo, what a star! How can I girl mind such help from a gallant and helpful gentleman? <BR>I am in a mucho fantastico mood just now as we have been wrapping xmas pressies... and I found some lovely paper - deep dark purple with big silver stars over it... <BR>Anyway I have read much of the book already. The best thing is the premise of the book. It is not like other guides and does not aim to give a comprehemsive coverage of all eating establishments with ratings. Instead PW says she will only feature a restaurant, cafe, bar, market if she personally thinks enough of it to want to go back, and reading her reviews, she obviously has done just that. <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 01:13 PM
kav

She shows a real understanding of the life and changes in Paris gastronomy and she brings these places alive. The book is split by type of place (restaurant, cafe, bar, market) and within that by arrondisement and then alphabetically... <BR>Anyway, I am enthused about my next visit to Paris, though my holiday year runs May 1st to end April and I have already booked 24 days out of 25 which is bad even for me. Nothing left for contingency plans and emergencies! <BR>Still. I could say travelling was an emergency: I travel or I die. <BR> <BR>Kavey <BR>As my husband just said I am in top burbling mode tonight <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 03:40 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Kavey: Haven't read the book--but I did notice it among those in my sister's travel book-case when I was with her in London recently. She's very discriminating--so if she thought the book worth keeping it's GOOD. Have fun with it. Joan

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 12:24 PM
JT

Yes, it is a delightful book, now in its 3rd Ed., I believe. The recipes are fun. Please let me know if Ms. Wells has included the small group of boulangeries/patisseries called simply PAUL: fantastic. I could not find a bad croissant in Paris and believe me I tried. If you are interested in street markets, Sunday morning is the huge organic market, south of the Seine. I've never seen anything like it, and I've lived in San Francisco!

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 01:43 PM
tcc

Can I also recommend a book called the Collected Traveler/Paris by Barrie Kerper. The book has advice plus articles on different aspects of Paris. It also includes an article by Patricia Wells's husband on what it's like to be Mr. Patricia Wells. It's very interesting.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 01:57 PM
betsy

Try www.patriciawells.com <BR> <BR>Bon appetit

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Nancy Glynn

I am running an inexpensive trip to Paris 3/22/-26, 2001. I am looking for some names of restaurants where approx 10-15 people can dine and not break the bank. (but still have ambiance) Anyone out there want to join group its only $599.00 complete air,hotel,from JFK. email [email protected]