Path of the gods.

Feb 13th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Path of the gods.

This question is for anyone who has hiked the path of the gods… During the first week of June my fiancé and I will be staying in Praiano. We plan on hiking the path of the gods to positano. Should we climb the thousand stairs from Praiano and start from there… Or would you recommend taking the bus to Bomerano and starting from the trailhead. Will we miss much of the trail and scenery by cutting off the beginning portion of the trail? Or is the adventure and scenery climbing up all those stairs worth missing the beginning portion of the trail?

Thanks

-Stephen
Feb 13th, 2016, 02:12 PM

The best way to do this walk is to take the bus from Amalfi to Bomerano, hike the path to Nocelle and take the bus to Positano and link with the other bus to Praiano. That way you see the vista heading north and you won't need a knee replacement. I don't know if you knees could cope with all those stairs - some of them are really steep.
The path from Bomerano to Nocelle takes about 3 hours and is not too difficult, however it has some drop offs so if you have issues with heights, be mindful of this.
Feb 14th, 2016, 03:49 AM

I did the hike last July Praiano to Positano. The decision to start in Praiano was dictated by the fact that I was coming from Sorrento by bus to commence the hike and did not want to use up a full day.
My walk started at 9.45 and I was sitting for lunch in Montepertuso at one o'clock. Walking back down to Positano took less than an hour (there is the option of a local bus). Even in the morning, the temperatures were quite high and two bottles of water were empty by Nocelle. The path up to the main pathway is almost all unremitting steps - not particularly enjoyable.
As you are at the advantage of starting from Praiano, I would advise taking the two bus option to Bomerano and avoid the climb. If your level of fitness is up to it, you could retrace your steps from Montepertuso along the trail and take the downhill path to Praiano and avoid the stairs down to Positano (and the need for a bus connection back to basecamp).
Feb 14th, 2016, 05:44 AM

We climbed the steps at Nocelle....it was quite hot ( we went late morning in mid September). If you want the workout, it's a good one. We did take plenty of water but should have started much earlier....there was no shade during the climb! The views once we got to the path were definitely worth it.
Feb 14th, 2016, 11:36 AM

In 2014, we took a taxi from our hotel in Positano to Bomerano, walked to Nocelle, had lunch then took a bus back to our hotel in Positano. The first 15 pictures in the link below I think were from the beginning part of the hike that you are thinking about cutting off. I'm not sure what the scenery coming up the Praiano steps is like but we really enjoyed the scenery on the first part of our hike.

https://john183italy2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/416

We took our time, we stopped a lot to enjoy the view and take pictures - and we still made it in 3 hours. If you can afford it, taking a taxi certainly takes a lot of the hassle out of getting to Bomerano but even if you take the 2 bus option, I would agree that starting in Bomerano would be worth it.
Feb 15th, 2016, 04:53 AM

We stayed in Montepertuso and walked up to Nocelle and hiked to Bomerano had lunch and hiked back to Montepertuso. The hike was lovely, not difficult (my husband and I are in our late 50s). I'm glad we hiked in both ways as we had different views. I didn't find the path that much harder in one direction versus the other.

As to whether you climb the stairs, that's up to you. We walked down to Positano and back up. We took it slow, no big deal.
Feb 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses. I think we will wait till the day of the trip to make our decision I have a feeling it's going to depend a lot on how exhausted we are at that point of our trip… I recently found out that there is a beach and dock with water transportation available just below our hotel. Perhaps a water taxi to almafi followed by a bus ride would be a fun addition to the hike. I really like the idea of hiking to Montepertuso and rewarding ourselves with a nice lunch and glass of wine. I read that some restaurants even offer a free shuttle back to Positano. But the bus would do just fine as well.

Thanks again
-Stephen
Feb 15th, 2016, 12:25 PM

Just be very, very mindful of the weather. Even if the day looks clear, storms can blow in and make the hike extremely dangerous. Ask a local what the weather is doing on the day you have planned to walk - they will advise better than a weather app.
I live on the AC some parts of the year and the storms have to be seen to be believed. The rain can be so torrential your visibility is limited to one metre and on a high mountain path with a precipitous drop on one side, this can be deadly. A walker was killed in a fall on this path last year.