Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   pasta chain in italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pasta-chain-in-italy-266426/)

Connie Oct 16th, 2002 03:36 PM

pasta chain in italy

Does anyone know the name of the pasta chain in italy. We ate there in Milan. It was good and cheap. It is something like pasta rica??? You could get what ever pasta you wanted with all different sauces. Good place for lunch

Alice Twain Oct 17th, 2002 05:52 AM

You are probably referring to Pastarito-Pizzarito. I am sorry to disrupt you high concept of this choain, but to Italian people it is knowna s one of the few places around Italy where you can seriously risk to leave all your food in th dish for it is too horrible to be eaten. Some people think it is just as bad as MacDonald's, but far more costly. True shit, in other words.

Connie Oct 17th, 2002 06:31 AM

Well the place in Milan was packed with italians and much better than mac d's

Geoff Hamer Oct 17th, 2002 06:40 AM

One of the many good things about Italy is that nearly every café, bar or restaurant is different and most are family-owned. Chains should be avoided. Italy will be a much less interesting country if the restaurants are ever taken over by chains.

Alice Twain Oct 17th, 2002 07:14 AM

Connie:<BR><BR>Those were not Italians, thoise were yuppies! In any case, you can find better and cheaper pasta at chains like Brek or Ciao, at least in these chains they cook the pasta on the spot and garnish it with freshly made sauces, while at Pastarito/Pizzarito at best you get defrozen stuff. Besides, most of they rauces include cream. Now, ask any REAL Italian foody and he will tell you the same that I can tell you: if a cook adds cream to his pasta sauce, that's because he wants to conceal some major flaunt in the sauce.

Connie Oct 17th, 2002 07:52 AM

Hi, I went to milan and venice this summer and honestly we had a few good meals, but often so-so meals which were overpriced. I am going back with my sister to Rome, Assisi, Siena, Florence and Bologna and would really like to have some good meals which aren't too expensive or over-priced. To be honest, I found the food in france to be much better this summer...and I was really looking forward to great italian food. The best meal in italy we had this last summer was at a place called Al Mascaron.

Graziella Oct 17th, 2002 06:01 PM

Hi Connie, the problem is I do not recall the name, but while iN Torino an Italian friend took us to someplace that sounds like the place you were in Milan and the pasta was very good. she is local, we are American Italians. It was good.<BR>If I find de name I shall let you know.

Alice Twain Oct 21st, 2002 10:10 AM

Connie:<BR><BR>If you can read any Italian, spend some money in buying the "OSterie d'Italia" guide by Gambero Rosso. It lists lots of place that usually serve high quality food at decent prices that vary from 20 to 35 euro per person. If you are coming to Milano I can give you some directions about places on the cheap side (although sometimes not really cheap) where you can eat real and good Itlaian food.

Terry Oct 21st, 2002 10:38 AM

So Alice you are an American living in Milano? I am new around here. Are alot of you ex-patriots?

Alice Twain Oct 21st, 2002 10:39 AM

Terry:<BR><BR>No, I am a Milanese living between Milan and Tuscnay and doing her best to keep her English alive. That you have mistaken me or American is a great compliment, indeed! ^____^

Connie Oct 22nd, 2002 05:38 AM

I am not going back to Milan, although I did enjoy it. We are going to Rome, Assisi, siena, florence and bologna. Any restaurant help in these cities would be appreciated. I need resturants for 30E or less/person...preferably in the 20-25 range.