Past Advisors for Dordogne

Oct 27th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Past Advisors for Dordogne

The day finally arrived when planning a trip to the Dordogne has become a reality. Already I was yearning for my old "friends" from the AOL travel board. Imagine my complete delight to see names that I recognized .. St. Cirq, Stu Dudley, probably others as well. Could these really be the same people I remembered from 10+ years ago? I read more, and quickly realized oh yes .. they are the same! I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to at last be planning a family trip, three generations, to the Dordogne and gleaning knowledge from new .. and old .. friends. At this point I'm still collecting ideas and putting it all together. But I could wait no longer without saying a huge thank you to so many devoted people who helped instill a love of France in my soul.
Oct 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Yes, HadleyH, it's us. Glad we fed your enthusiasm, and we're still around to help you plan your trip!
Oct 27th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Many of us came over from the AOL boards back in the late 90's when there was a bit of turmoil. Where have you been the last 10 years? Lonely Planet? Frommer's?
Oct 27th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, St. Cirq .. I know I can count on you! it's been wonderful to read your reports again, learn what all has occurred in your life over these past years, and feel that you've come through it still in great spirits. I do believe it was you who first made me aware of the Dordogne. Two previous times I'd tentatively planned a trip, neither panned out. Honestly, I'd decided I'd never get there. Then I proposed a trip to my daughter and her family, something in the US. Imagine my surprise when an email from her began .. Mom, have you ever been to the Dordogne? That's all it took, of course!
Oct 27th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

I know it sounds crazy, kybourbon, but I've not attached myself to any other board. I loved the France board so much and hung in there till the bitter end. Some things had changed in my own life and I began to travel to England primarily. First a study program at Oxford, them a literature festival I've loved. Meanwhile the years rolled by and I was enjoying various parts of that great country too. Occasionally I'd read on various boards but simply never seized upon a community like I'd experienced with France AOL boards. Had no idea what I was missing!
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM

I don't know if I had an itinerary for the Dordogne 10 years ago - but I do now. I've sent it to over 1,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach a copy to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM

I just dropped in to say between StuDudley, St.
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Sorry, hit a wrong key - anyway St. Cirq, StuD made our trip to Dordogne incredibly fun, easy and most of all - memorable. I thanked them then and will again...esp. Stu's itinerary!

We talk about that trip probably more than any other in France and I believe it is because we rented a car - a car gets you lost - so you find undiscovered places; it gets you to meet locals in out of the way places, and as aggravating as it can be, it puts a "real" touch on a place you've just been reading about for years.

Have a great trip; we sure did!
Oct 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM

We were in Dordogne in 2011. Fourth trip to France, have many ideas
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu .. just sent you an email requesting your itinerary.

Moneyburns .. Love that name and is it ever true? I totally agree that having a car is the way to go. It's definitely a spoiler. We will be in the Dordogne for a week and will definitely rent a car. I'll be there with my daughter, her husband and their two children, 12 and 9. I introduced my daughter to France at age 12 and it was a great trip. No Internet, barely any travel books back then, cannot imagine traveling like that now. We've not told the children yet .. they're going to be SO excited!!

Movehershakeher .. These names are so clever! Feel free to share your ideas, I'm all ears .. or eyes. I've spent time in several areas of France and really love the countryside, but never have I been in the Dordogne. I'm trying to read all I can online now, but need to bone up on history too. The area is rich with things that interest me, but I must also leave time to just absorb the beauty, natural and man made. Often those are the most lasting impressions for me.

I'm going to love collecting ideas from all of you!
Oct 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM

It would probably be very interesting for the kids, and adults alike, to visit one of the prehistoric caves and view the cave paintings. We went to Font de Gaume and really enjoyed it. The Dordogne is an absolutely beautiful area. Your family will love it.