Passport Renewal Fees

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Debs

Passport Renewal Fees

Noticed a sign at my local post office recently that they charge a $15.00 processing fee for a passport renewal (payable to the US Postal Service), in addition to the $45 renewal fee(payable to the US State Dept)-I can understand the actual $45 renewal fee, but how long has the post office charged a processing fee? Is there a website I where I can download the renewal forms and bypass what amounts to a service charge from the post office? My passport expires in March 2002, so I have a bit of time before I need to renew.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 07:22 PM
jahoulih

http://travel.state.gov/passport_renewal.html

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Dick

Debs,

Just applied for our passports yesterday. The $15.00 fee to the USPS is for their wonderful and efficient handling of the paperwork. No wonder they lost 1.5 billion, or whatever.

Rather than go into a long story about what a hassle it was yesterday, let's just say my vote goes to Mailboxes R'us to handle the passports.

However, if you are simply renewing your passport, you can just mail the request and AVOID the Post Office. You can download the necessary forms from the web site Jahoulih provided.

Dick

Dick

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:05 AM
leo

Sorry,

Even to RENEW a passport requires the $15.00 fee to US postal service. The postal employee makes sure the forms are filled out correctly, signed and the photos are satisfactory. While I was doing this last winter, everyone in line was turned down for some reason or another, mostly poor pictures. They had to correct the mistakes and return (I needed two checks $45 and $15 instead of the one for $60). I imagine that the passport office had a lot of incomplete applications so the postal service was asked to pre-process the applications instead of just collecting them as they had done in the past for no fee. Either way, I don't believe there is a way around the $15 fee, especially now with the increased security and scrutinty of passport holders.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:48 AM
jahoulih

According to the State Department website I mentioned above, the fee is $40, not $45, and there is no need to go through the post office or pay them a fee (other than postage). I did this myself early this year to renew my passport, and I had no problems.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Book Chick

I had the same experience as jahoulih. Why give the post office $15 more than you need to in order to renew?

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Patrick

I have no idea what fee you people are talking about. I requested the forms via email from the US passport office, filled them out, sent them in and got back my new passport about 3 weeks later. This was last year. The only thing the post office did was actually handle the transportation of the letter I dropped in a post office chute. As I recall I paid $40 total for the renewal, no other fees except the cost of the stamp to send the application.