Kids french language summer course in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my 12 year old daughter to France this summer and would like us both to attend a 2-week language course. Preferably in the Touraine area or Provence area for a quaint feeling (not the cote d'azur) but am flexible. She would like a kid friendly course with learning French through games/plays/songs/etc and not just in front of a whiteboard. I would like an adult class to be held at the same time. I have found all kinds of classes for adults, private classes for the 2 of us, or teenage classes from age 13-17. But she would like the social interaction with the other kids (not older teenagers) while learning french. We are moderate beginners so probably wanting a morning class with optional activities in the afternoon. Any ideas? Really running stuck! Spent about 15 hours looking so far Thank you.
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 08:06 AM

How bout looking into camps for Ffrench kids - my son grew up in France and when he was about your kind's age his French mium sent him to England for two weeks in an English summer camp - no formal language instruction but total immersion. Check local Synidat d'Iniatives (tourist offices) for such camps, which abound in France.

Just a thought
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM

I think a day camp may be better idea as suggested, the French style of education does not involve as much "play and interaction, games and songs" most especially not for 12 year olds.. more like learning by rout, lots of work,.. they are not er, like us, they take education seriously,, its not a game or song time to them except for tiny tots.

Its hard to interact at your daughters age, this I know from personal experience. The summer I turned 13 I was sent to France for three months to stay with my french grandmother, I was lucky that she arranged with the neighbors girl who lived across street to be my "friend".. and she wanted to practice her english with me, but without Annie I would not have been able to hang out and play with others.. it would not have happened. When I was about 7 or 8 we ( mom and younger sister) spent 3 months in France and found as youngsters we could sometimes interact with other kids on playgrounds a bit , but it wasn't like they would be your friends. By 12 that vanishes, 6 or 7 yr olds yes,by 12 its gone
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 02:11 PM

Operated by the French government, one of the largest camp programs in France, for those from 6 to 39 years old, is UCPA:

http://www.ucpa-vacances.com/

The Department du Gard operates an excellent camp near Nimes and Avignon:

http://www.sports-gard.fr/