Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

passport control for layover at Athens airport

Old Sep 24th, 2015, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking at booking a flight from Izmir, Turkey to Larnaca, Cyprus that has a layover in Athens. Problem is that it will be during a period where I'm not permitted to enter Greece, as I'm US citizen who will have already spent the maximum 90 days in a 180 day period in Greece. I'll be re-entering Greece once those 180 days have passed and don't want to create any issues there. So----- does anyone know if I'll be needing to go through passport control during my layover in Athens? I won't be leaving the airport, and am booking the flight through Aegean, so it should just be a transit where the baggage goes straight through.
Old Sep 24th, 2015, 01:37 AM

That's probably a question you should be asking Aegean Airlines rather than on Fodor's. Most airports have provisions for passengers such as yourself, and I'd be surprised if there isn't one at Athens Airport. If you already have a boarding pass for the Cyprus flight you should be allowed to stay airside without going through passport control. I've done that at Nairobi and Keflavik, but not in Athens.