Lunch near Tower Hill?

Search

Lunch near Tower Hill?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch near Tower Hill?

We're meeting a friend on Tuesday at her hotel which is near Tower Hill. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place for lunch? Things to keep in mind are a) we'd like to sit an gab for a while so something more comfortable than a Pret-a-Manger, and 2) my SO has some food restrictions so a menu that includes fish (not 'n chips' ) and/or salad would be good.

I've thought about the Brasserie at the Oxo Tower but I can't find a menu on-line that I'm sure is theirs and current. Has anyone eaten there? If so, how are the prices?

Thanks
gtg
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The Oxo Tower is quite a walk from Tower Hill. I'd just go across the street to St Katherine's Marina. There are several pubs/restaurants/cafes and none are expensive. The harbor/yachts and flowers make for good views/ambiance.

http://www.skdocks.co.uk/restaurants/

Cafe Rouge is a chain but has surprisingly good French Bistro-type food. The Dickens Inn is a sprawling complex w/ pub and restaurant. Prohibition has good/casual food but is mostly known for their cocktails. Just wander around the yacht basin and see what looks good to you.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Actually one of my favorite pubs w/decent food is right there at Tower Hill, around the corner from the station, The Minories. Mostly serves local workers, and that's in fact, how I discovered it, since my former flatmate used to work right down the road, and we'd meet up there for lunch or after work drinks. My recollection is they do serve a decent grilled salmon or salmon salad.

http://www.minories-london.co.uk/
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Excellent suggestions, thank you very much. I'll make a list and take it with me on Tuesday.

As my SO always says, "Ask the fodorites!"
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep-- the Minories is good. I've had drinks a couple of times but haven't eaten. The marina has more food options, but the Minories would be a good choice.

Did you know about the "Inside the Ancient City" London Walk? It is every Tues at 2PM leaving from Tower Hill tube station. It is one of their most unique walks. Might be something you'd want to do after lunch.

walks.com/London_Walks_Home/Tuesdays_Walks/default.aspx#12847
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

I've got their brochure sitting right beside me, janisj. I doubt that we'll have time to do it that day but maybe another day.