Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there tape or CD players in rental cars?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 06:28 AM
Robin

For those of you who have rented cars in Europe, can you please tell me if there are either tape or CD players in the car? I'm renting a compact car through Avis in Frankfurt, dropping it off in Paris and then picking up another car in Paris when we leave and dropping it at the airport a week later. I've called Avis and can't get a straight answer from anyone so I'm hoping someone with experience can tell me. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>Robin

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Bob Brown

My experience is limited. Last year we rented from Avis in Interlaken. The car had a tape player. I think the situation is variable, however. One thing that is fairly standard, however, is a manual gear shift. That for us is no problem because I learned how with a clutch and my wife drove a 5-speed Stanza for 12 years. <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 08:10 AM
hcw

I've rented a car twice in Europe -- once in Ireland from Dan Dooley, once in England from Hertz. Both came with tape players but, unfortunately, we hadn't thought about taking tapes with us. Fortunately, we really enjoyed listening to the local radio stations -- especially in Wales, where we could pick up stations from England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France. And in Ireland, we were intrigued by the frequent "missing person" announcements, where some traveler's parents were asking that their wayward child phone home!

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 03:15 PM
Paulo

I rented or "leased" a total of 8 midsze cars in Europe the last 10 years. They ALL had a tape deck and NONE had a CD player. I never had an Audi A-4, though. I've heard (check) that a CD player is standard in that car make. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 03:32 PM
Catherine

In our cheapest Hertz rental in France,there was a tape player.I wish we had taken tapes.We only seemed to be able to get French talk shows on the radio.We drove well over 2000km in silence except for conversations with each other. <BR>In Britian the radio stations are superb.However France is the best and most beautiful country in the world.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 05:19 PM
Doug

I've rented maybe 35 different cars in Europe (mostly Germany) sonce 1981 and nearly everyone has had a tape player. None had CD players. Since the music on the plane usually sucks, I bring my own tape player and a couple tapes I've made and/or a book on tape to listen to during the flight. I usually end up finishing the book on tape while tooling around in my rental car.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Jeanie

We rented a Fiat Punto in France and there was no tape player. I dragged tapes all over and we ended up listening to the radio. I loved it though, I felt like I got more local flavor by getting addicted to their songs and radio stations.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 12:48 AM
Tony Hughes

Back in the late 1970's, Scotland imported [in bulk] a large number of Ford Pintos complete with 8-track. <BR> <BR>Most of them are still available. Just be careful.