Reload this Page >

Paros: Stay in Parikia or Naoussa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Monica

Dear fellow fodorites, <BR><BR>I have decided that we’ll visit Paros instead of going to Mykonos (based on the lack of boats from Naxos to Mykonos). We will also visit Naxos and Santorini. <BR><BR>I would be interested in hearing from you about which area to stay while on Paros. Also would like to hear your recommendations for hotels in Paros (under $100/night).<BR><BR>Thank you! Monica

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Steve Curry

<BR>You are planning the same trip that my wife and I did in May '98 -- although we we took an unexpected trip to Mykanos after we missed the ferry from Paros back to Athens. It actually worked out great.<BR><BR>Here are my thoughts on Parikia vs. Naoussa. Remember that we went in mid-May so things could be very much different depending on when you are planning on going.<BR><BR>We decided to stay in Naoussa because we wanted more of a summer-time resort-ish experience. However, mid-May is not Summer so although there were no crowds, the weather wasn't great &amp; there was not much to do in Naoussa. I think of the three nights we spent on Paros, we ended up taking a taxi into Parikia two of them! This was actually pretty good because it's not a long trip (15-20 mins) and we could enjoy the small fishing village 'feel' and great ocean/beach views of Naoussa instead of Parikia, which would have been a very similar experience from the one we got staying on Naxos -- not bad, but we wanted some variety.<BR><BR>On Paros, we also missed the caves on AntiParos and butterflies on Paros because of the off-season dates.<BR><BR>All that said, we had a great time on all 4 islands. Things are very simple and friendly, so as long as you're not expecting 4-star resort plushness, you will have fun.<BR><BR>last tips -- everyone speaks english and eats dinner very late.<BR><BR>Let me know if you have any other questions.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Monica

Hi Steve!<BR><BR>Thanks for the information. We are going to Greece the first two weeks in May. We’ll probably stay in Parikia since we like being in towns/villages. We’re not big beach goers. We usually stay in small hotels – 2 star hotels. I prefer that to American-style hotels; after all, that’s part of the travel experience. What did you spend for taxi rides? Where did you stay while in Naoussa? In Naxos? Glad to know English is spoken on these islands. I have had no time to learn any phrases and our trip is 3 weeks away! I always like to learn the basic phrases, maybe we’ll cram a few between now and our trip.<BR><BR>We were in Greece in 1993, so we know all about the late night dining. <BR><BR>Thanks again! Monica<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Steve Curry

<BR>You know, I don't remember the names of either of the hotels in Naxos or Paros but we got them out of the Frommers book -- is that OK to say on a Fodor's site?<BR><BR>I also can't remember how musch the Parikia to Naoussa taxi cost -- maybe $20? We also rented a car to drive around Paros and scooters to ride around Naxos.<BR><BR>The one thing I remember about our hotel on Naxos is that it had the most incredible view of the natural bay and ancient portal. I seem to remember it was in the "old town" section, north(?) of the main part of the city. Naxos town was really fun, and easily walkable.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 09:13 AM
Martina

DEFINATELY NAOUSSA ;-) <BR> <BR>The taxi fare from Naoussa to Parikia costs around 2.000 Drachmas. <BR> <BR>By the way, if you are interested in a nice place to stay (Sakis Rooms), with sea view and more, you are welcome to have a look at my Website: <BR>http://www.paros-online.com <BR> <BR>You also find lots of info on Paros there! <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>Martina

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 09:14 AM
Martina

click: <BR>www.paros-online.com <BR

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 08:52 AM
Robin

Regardless of where you stay, consider renting a car for a day and driving up into the hills. There are a number of pretty towns, and an old Roman road you can walk along. It's a different experience from the waterfront. We really enjoyed it.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Monica

Yes, I agree that renting a car is a good idea. I don't mind taking a local bus, but I do like the freedom of having our own car.