Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Parlament area: a nice place to stay/safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!
since you're helping me A LOT on my next trip to eastern europe, i'll will ask you for an opinion:
my plane arrives at 8pm in Budapest, so i guess it would take me at least two hours to the boring procedure of immigration/customs/airport/hostel check in. and yeah, i'll be free at around 10pm.
i'll probably be tired from my long journey, but i wish i could see on my first day the beautiful budapest at night <3. from what im reading, the parlament area is one of the nicest views from the city, right? then, my inicial idea was to stay on a hostel in this area, so i could just hang around, have a nice beer and then come back to the hostel, by foot (i won't try the subway on my first day). i want to see the danube, the yellow lights as soon as i arrive!
well, here are my questions:
- is it a nice area to stay? i found many hostels near the Parlament, on Pest. i saw that there are subway stations also.
- is it safe to walk alone at this time? i'll be alone, and i'm a girl.
- are there open places, such as bars, pubs, cafes or anything like that, by this time? are there pple walking on the streets or is it a empty neighbour?
it might be relevant to mention that i'll arrive on a tuesday night.

thanks a lot =)
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 07:46 PM

I live near Parliament. It is a fantastic and safe area. I would suggest you get a tram pass immediately on arrival. The 4 or 6 tram runs to the center of the Margit hid, a perfect view (that is where my husband shot my blog header). But this is also very walkable.

I think you will get to the city by 9 if you are on time and take a taxi. I always get thru the airport fast.

The immediate Parliament area may not get a ton of night time foot traffic. But if you are closer to Jaszai Mari ter or closer to Szent Stephens it will be busy.

Parliament is really dug up right now, but it is nearing completion and will be great. For the first time in years the scaffolding will be down and it is completely clean.

But for the best view, you want to be out on the bridges.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 08:03 AM

I'm Hungarian living near to the Parliament.
But as a tourist it would not be my first choice.
The temporary reason is, that the square in front of the building is under construction, locals try to avoid it, if possible. The works are to be finished by the end of March.
The other reason is that the immediate vicinity is full of government related offices, the restaurants are catering the people working there. The area is very silent in the evenings, not deserted, but very silent. It is completely safe.
There is no tram pass. There is a public transport pass, valid for bus, tram, metro. 24h, 72h, one week or the Budapest card which is valid for some museums as well. At the airport look for the Public Transport Counter, they sell any kind of tickets.
At the airport there is no customs for tourists, and if you are flying from an other Schengen country there is no passport control as well. You have to wait the luggage and may be for the taxi. If your plain lands on time, you will be in yr hostel room 9.30-10, taking a taxi. Taking public transport one hour later.
The best view. I'm a tour guide nearly 30 years, so I know all the different angles. The best one is from the Gellert hill, next one may be from the middle of the Margaret bridge. But for the first night it would be ok looking on the Buda side from anywhere on the Pest side, between the Parliament and the Elisabeth bridge.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 09:06 AM

Keep in mind.. when tourists books (ex. Fodors) lists "near Parliament" it is a really wide area. I live on Szent Istvan Park and the restaurants around the corner on Pozsonyi are called "near Parliament". I do not know the hostels, but not sure there would be a hostel right near Parliament.

Of course, by "tram pass" it is all modes of public transport within the city (and will also get your discounts on train tickets to Szentendre, Vac, etc). I buy mine by the month.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

well, happy to know ill get by the city at 9pm, good news. but i was considering taking those famous shuttles.

centraleurope, thanks for your help. i saw the hostels on the map, and they are 2/4 blocks from the parlament itself.
but one in special caught my attention, because its 1 block from the Margit Id Bridge, on the Pest side. ill look at the map with attention to Jaszai Mari and Szent Stephens now.

te415976, thank for the construction alert. ill arrive at march 25th, so maybe things wont be 100%, ill consider this.

im just a little worried about walking by myself in the tram/subway/streets by night - specialy on my first night. i read few things about robberies and thats a little scaring for me. well, im from São Paulo,Brazil and i walk around São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro during the evening/late night with no worries - but that's because i know the cities and i know the right places to walk and those to avoid. even in europpean cities like London, Paris, Barcelona or Madrid and i dont feel frightened at all, BUT, since i read some tourists and many articles mentioning the robberies...
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 06:58 PM

By march, this area will be beautiful. Let me know if I can help you. One block from Margot hid should be very safe. But if is on the major ring road, it could be a bit noisy.