Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Parks in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/parks-in-paris-83149/)

Paris Bound Aug 16th, 2000 06:09 PM

Parks in Paris

Will be traveling to Paris with another couple who has a 5 year old son. Anyone know of a park they could take him for a couple of hours or so, just to run, play, toss a frisbee, etc? Not interested in Disney, just an old fashioned park. Thanks in advance.

adrienne Aug 16th, 2000 06:27 PM

The Luxemburg Gardens has a children's area where your friends' son can play and make other friends. That's the only part I've seen children playing in. If I recall correctly there was a sand box and some swings or climbing equipment. Normally, I don't believe you can walk/play on the grass in Paris parks. <BR>

elvira Aug 16th, 2000 06:33 PM

Luxembourg, Tuilleries, Champ de Mars come to mind. There are large grassy areas at Versailles. Bois de Vincennes and Boulogne are huge (Central Park type parks) and are on the edge of the city. <BR> <BR>All around the city are small parks and green areas just right for a five-year old to let loose (and for grown-ups to relax and enjoy the open spaces).

wes fowler Aug 16th, 2000 06:45 PM

There are small neighborhood parks and playgrounds all over Paris. You probably won't encounter them since they are truly neighborhood facilities and not ensconced in the midst of a tourist's Paris. The Luxembourg Gardens has playgrounds; the Tuileries has play areas (with lots of pickup soccer games) and you can rent model sailboats to sail in reflecting pools. A paradise for little ones is the Bois de Boulogne, a park to the west of Paris proper. The Jardin d'Acclimatation in the Bois has donkey rides, miniature trains to ride and a children's zoo. In many of the parks on Wednesday and weekend afternoons, you'll find puppet shows that will entrance a 5 year old. eei

Donna Aug 16th, 2000 08:57 PM

Actually, we saw lots of parks for children all over Paris. Particularly charming was one in the 16th near Musee Marmottan, with all sorts of terrific play equipment and a Marionnette show. Another really nice one was on rue de Sevigny near Place des Vosges. Ask the concierge or someone at the front desk of your hotel. It would be a little bit silly to go all the way to Luxembourg or Bois de Bologne if there's one two blocks over from the hotel. Another fine place to just run or toss a frisbee is the huge Champs de Mars right next to the Tour Eiffel. Be sure to look for the duckpond behind the ice cream stand near the post office. There's also a wonderful carousel on the other side of the river from the Tour Eiffel. And, don't forget a ride on the ferris wheel on the Place de la Concorde side of Tuileries.

cjt Aug 17th, 2000 02:54 AM

Just got back from France with sons ages 9 and 12, a little older than your friend. Highly recommend the Jardin de Luxembourg. After a picnic lunch complete with wine, we rented the little boats for the boys to push around on the pond and sat back and watched. No nintendo or computers here but they were having a blast. The wind takes the boats across the pond the the kids run around to try and intercept where the boat will hit the opposite side. Great fun for adults and children as well! I also heard that they have a similar pond in the Tuleries, but we didn't make it there.

elaine Aug 17th, 2000 03:51 AM

Other parks where kids can play on the grass include Jardin de Babylone (rue de Babylone between rue Vaneau and rue du Bac, on the left bank); the Pre Catalan section of the Bois de Boulogne, and the grassy area near the fountains in front of the Palais de Chaillot, across from the Eiffel Tower. <BR> <BR>The Jardin d'Acclimatation that Wes mentioned (open 10-6 daily) is on the edge of the Bois de Boulogne (phone 01 40 67 90 82) offers the activities that he mentioned. The train operates from Porte Maillot every afternoon in July and August, and Wed, Sat, & Sun afternoons in the other months (check the schedule for currency). <BR>If you're looking for a playground at all, the small Jardin des Enfants aux Halles on the right bank near the Forum des Halles, phone 01 45 08 07 18 has tunnels, mountains, and slides to climb on. It is closed in bad weather. Reservations can be made, and the staff speaks English. Certain days and hours are for particular ages; stop by or call to enquire. Nearby at 8 rue Coquilliere is the restaurant Chicago Meatpackers which is very kid-oriented in both food and entertainment. <BR>Finally, the best zoo in Paris is said to be in the Bois de Vincennes, which also has a boating lake, and a Parc Floral which has playground facilities like a great slide. Phone 01 40 79 30 00. <BR>

Ross Aug 17th, 2000 06:03 AM

Try the Parc de la Place des Vosges.

Thomas Aug 17th, 2000 07:03 AM

Try Parc Monceau, not far from the Champs Elysees. It is very beautiful, many gardens, play areas, many nannies and their small kids. It may not be too big, but well worth a visit by everyone.

Lori Aug 17th, 2000 07:36 AM

There's a playground area in the Champs de Mars which has an added benefit of giving you the opportunity to look at the Eiffel Tower. Our niece, who lives right near there, takes her kids over there all the time. Paris is loaded with parks, as some one said there is a nice on by the Musee Marmattan, get off Metro at LaMuette.

Jen Aug 17th, 2000 07:44 AM

Two ideas: <BR> <BR>Tuilleries - on Sundays there are pony rides and model boat rentals to sail in the fountains. Kids I saw there were LOVING it as were the picnicing parents. <BR> <BR>Luxembourg Gardens has a GREAT play-scape for kids (if you are standing behind the building looking out to the gardens it's back on your right). Defininely check it out.

tina Aug 17th, 2000 10:32 AM

for parisiens I have heard about Parc Asterix amusement park, this is disney style yes but with a french twist.

Marsha Aug 17th, 2000 12:04 PM

There is an admission charge for both children and adults to the fenced-in play equipment at the Jardin de Luxembourg. It is well worth the cost. My 8 year-old had a wonderful time! There also were children of many nationalities there, even some English-speaking ones. After days of tourist activities, I enjoyed just watching everyday people just doing everyday things.

marilyn Aug 17th, 2000 12:25 PM

Wednesday would be a good time to find children and activities in parks, as there is no school on Wednesdays.

Karen Aug 18th, 2000 06:23 AM

Thanks for all your information. I'll pass it on to our friends. I'm sure the adults will enjoy an afternoon in the park, too! <BR>