Parking in Lauterbrunnen

Search

Parking in Lauterbrunnen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in Lauterbrunnen

We're spending four days in Switzerland in September. We'd like to spend two nights in Murren. I know we'd have to leave our (rented) car in Lauterbrunnen, but I'm wondering how much it would cost to leave our car in the parking lot there for two days, and is it safe?
Also (and this may be a stupid question), we'd really like to do the Maennlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk. Is it at all possible to hike to Maennlichen from Murren, or would it just take too long for one day's outing?
Appreciate feedback from the Swiss experts!
Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Murren-Mannlichen hike?

1st you go down a steep steep path to the valley - going down can be as strenous as going up IME due to braking required then cross the valley and do a steep steep up canyon hike via Wengen to Mannlichen - possible but would take all day

most prefer to take cable car down to valley and up to Mannlichen

Up and down the steep valley walls are two of the most strenuous hikes in the area.

Lauterbrunnen parking garage is right at where you take the new aerial cable car up the cliff to Grutschalp for train to Murren - that is a lovely walk Murren to Grutschalp, flat and near the cliff edge. Don't know about cost but $20 a day would seem cheap for Switzerland
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
This site lists the parking fees by hour, by day and by season:

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/en/deskto.../334_read-2651
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for those responses. Maybe we could walk part of the way (to Grutschalp) then continue by cable car. The site with parking info. re: Lauterbrunnen was very helpful. Thank you again!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM

The parking lot is very safe. The entire town of Lauterbrunnen is very safe.
Murren is on the opposite side of the steep valley from Maennlichen, so the best way to think about hikes is which ones are on the Murren side and which ones are on the Wengen side. The town of Lauterbrunnen, with all the travel connections, is in between.
We just did several hikes in the area last week. A hike from Murren thru Gimmelwald to Stechelberg and then Lauterbrunnen, was very nice. The Murren to Grutschalp hike has great views.
On the other side of the valley, we took the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengenalp and hiked down to Wengen one day after a storm dropped a foot of snow. The trail was cleared and very hikable. We intended to hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, but that trail was closed. Check the huge lit-up maps at the Lauterbrunnen and Wengen train stations to see which trails, ski and sledge runs are opened or closed.
Hiking is made very easy by the wonderfully maintained trails and the great marking system. There are signs all over the area showing how far it is to other towns. K
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Good info, K. Thanks for that! I think I'm finally getting an image of the lay of the land....
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM

The Männlichen - Kleine Scheidegg walk is a piece of cake, one of the easiest hikes you can take. If we develop an index that measures easy of the walk against what you see for the effort expended, this one has got to rate a super top grade.

As for the other one, I think you have not looked at a topographic map of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. If you take a look, I think you will see that your idea is very ambitious unless you are a strong athlete.

In summary, the net altitude loss is 2,750 vertical feet; the net altitude gain, 4,688 vertical feet.

First you need to descend from Mürren to Lauterbrunnen. To reach Lauterbrunnen you drop from 1638 meters of elevation to 800 meters very steeply.

You can descend in two ways other than taking the cable lifts: 1. Hike the steep trail or 2. Use a hang glider.

If you hike, I suggest that you do so backwards so that when you fall your head is pointed uphill and you land on your stomach the easy way. If you fall forward, you might not stop tumbling until you qualify for the Olympics.

If you take the hang glider you can float around for a couple of hours and even land in Wengen and take the cable car up.

In the summer on a clear day, I have seen many hang gliders drifting around the valley. It is really a very interesting sight so see 8 to 12 colorful gliders in the air at the same time.

Once in Lauterbrunnen, the fun really begins. The Männlichen is at an elevation of 2229 meters above mean sea level. Lauterbrunnen is at about 800 meters but you have to drop down lower than that to cross the creek.

The difference in the two locations is therefore about 1430 meters. That multiplies to 4,688 vertical feet of height differential.

To give a comparison, Mürren lies at an elevation of 1638 meters and the top of the Schilthorn is at 2970 meters, a difference of 4,370 feet.

I think this trip could be done by a strong hiker, but not by the average out-of-shape potbellied American tourist. (I can see one of the escapees from Ryan's Steakhouse who just consumed a 5,000 calorie dinner hoist his Dunlop figure up that trail. Call the paramedics, except in Switzerland they charge by the minute and by the kilo to evacuate a hiker via helicopter. Your friendly mountain rescue service is not in the business of carrying people down on foot as a community service.)

My friend Mark Hanna climbed the Schilthorn from Mürren, but Mark is a veteran hiker of incredible conditioning for a man well past 70.

Why don't you do half the Schilthorn first, and then decide if you want to try the Mürren - Männlichen caper??

I recommend that you do the following. Go to the Männlichen by taking the train to Grutschalp, the cable car to Lauterbrunnen, train to Wengen and cable lift to the crest of the Männlichen.

Walk down the trail to Kleine Scheidegg and stop for refreshments at the first restaurant you see just above the train station.

If you have the oomph left, hike up to the Eigergletscher viewpoint.

Then either retrace your steps or take the train back.

I suggest at last considering taking the trail from the Eigergletscher station back to Wengen. It is an easy trail and you descend gently along the railroad line with pastures to your south.

Once at Wengen, take the train down the mountain to avoid the steep descent.

Take the cable lift from Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp, and walk from Grutschalp to Wengen. That walk is gentle and late in the afternoon the red sun will be full on the main range of the Berner Oberland. If you get lucky and walk it late enough, the full moon will be rising while the sun is setting. If you can catch that view, you will see the most glorious sight available in the Alps.

I once watched in awe and wonder as the red sun faded from the white snow and the slivery rays of the full moon gradually took over and illuminated the mountain side in full spendor. I will never forget it.