Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Parking in Glasgow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/parking-in-glasgow-410239/)

AR Aug 8th, 2008 06:16 PM

Parking in Glasgow

I'm travelling by car with the family to Fort William from South Wales and will be taking an overnight stop in Dumfries. Having never been to Glasgow, I fancy calling in as we'll be passing (and can't book into our cottage until 4pm).

What is car parking like in Glasgow on a Saturday morning or is there any park and ride available? I previously found the Edinburgh park and train excellent. Thanks.

Frances Aug 9th, 2008 02:27 AM

It is going to take you a fair time to do this journey. From the border to Glasgow is about an hour. It can take an hour to clear Glasgow.
We travelled from Anglesey to Skye at Whitsun stopping overnight in Glasgow.(We had done a similar route last year from Anglesey to Mull stopping just the English side of the border.)
We left Glasgow at 10.00am and stopped for lunch in Arisaig (just south of Mallaig)just before 2.00. We only made a brief toilet stop enroute.
I can't help with the parking because we parked in the Marriott where we were staying. I would also like to see more of Glasgow.
There are a few people here who helped me with restaurant recommendations who will probably answer your query once they get up!

AR Aug 9th, 2008 02:38 AM

Thanks Frances.

I anticipate being in the Glasgow area by about 9am and would leave after lunch. I'm allowing around 3-4 hours for the journey from Glasgow to Fort William. As I say, I can't get the keys until 4pm and have done Loch Lomond etc several times before but never visited central Glasgow.

Unless it is an easyish detour I shant bother and will stop elsewhere en-route and leave a visit to Glasgow as an excuse for a rugby excursion when the Llanelli Scarlets play up there in the future!

Frances Aug 9th, 2008 03:04 AM

AR I am whispering this. Do you know that tickets are available for the Wales Scotland match on public release on the Scottish RU Site? Don't tell anyone. I've bought 10!

flanneruk Aug 9th, 2008 03:08 AM

This is a couple of years old, but...

The only routing that makes sense is the M74 to the M8. Westbound on the M8, pretty much through the middle of Glasgow, then along thge Clyde to the Erskine Bridge. Then the A82 NW.

Going through (or rather along the edge of the centre of) Glasgow, turn off at J18, then take the A82 NW a mile or so to Kelvinbridge Underground station, where there is a park & ride. They'll sell you a day season ticket for the Underground, with a leaflet for walks round the centre, which also includes (or did last time I tried) a day's parking.

Personally, I'd get back onto the M8 and take the fast route to rejoin the A82 after Erskine, rather than slog through the suburbs on the A82.

But the traffic might have changed since I last did this.

AR Aug 9th, 2008 03:39 AM

Thanks Flanneruk - I'll sit down and work that one out. Cheers.

Thanks also, again, Frances. Now that the "secret" is out, I'm sure that they'll not be long before going! The autumn internationals in Cardiff sold out in an hour. Mind you, they include New Zealand, Australia and South Africa so no wonder.