Parking & driving on the Italian Riviera

Old Oct 7th, 2017, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking & driving on the Italian Riviera

Happened to be talking to an Italian friend with a relative who works as a traffic enforcer in a popular tourist town on the Italian Riviera. Not long ago, the relative was laid off (along with several colleagues) as a cost-cutting measure, but at summer's end, town officials were alarmed by the steep decrease in the number of parking and traffic tickets that had been given. Those tickets are an important source of revenues in the town. The amount of money lost because of the decline in violations issued exceeded the amount of money saved by laying off the ticket-givers. They have all been re-hired.

If you've ever lived in US metropolitan areas that are surrounded by old suburbs, where "main street" was undermined by things like Home Depot or Walmart, and tax revenues declined, you already know how much local officials rely on issuing parking and driving tickets to avoid raising property taxes.

Although I don't live in the little Italian town that's reinstated its ticket-giving crew, the fact that I am hearing about it suggests to me every town on the Riviera took note of this experiment & most likely drew the same conclusions. It's generally a good idea to bring a car to the Italian Riviera since the train stops at every beautiful coastal village. If you do bring a car, don't leave your car parked anywhere unless you are absolutely sure you are legally parked. The fines can be quite stiff.
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

meant to write:

It's generally NOT a good idea to bring a car to the Riviera.

NOT
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 03:20 AM

massimop - why ever so dramatic.

Not everyone wants to travel to the Italian Riviera by train but as with every location - respect the parking regulations and there is no problem. Why is is so difficult for someone from the US to respect Italian regulations. Does an Italian in the US not have to respect regulations likewise?
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 09:54 AM

Tourists are not the only people getting traffic tickets. Italians are probably receiving the bulk of those tickets.

I think it's good advice not to bring a car to the Italian Riviera unless there are overriding reasons. The same goes for almost any coastal town, and for the larger Italian cities.