When the Tour Montparnasse - erected besides the Montparnasse train station in the early 70s the tower has to many stuck out like a sore thumb on the generally harmonious level Paris skyline where buildings of more than several floors have traditionally been frowned upon and not given go aheads. Critics decried the sacrilege of this sleek modern tower's intrusion oin the skyline it cna be seen of course from all over town since it is about the only building inside the Peripherique (freeway that circles central Paris) that sticks up so high outside of things like the Tour Eiffe and some churches steeples.
Critics on the Montparnasse Tower crack that the best view of Paris is from the tower's observation deck because it's the only vantage point from which you cannot see the tower itself!
And they Parisians were equally bent out of shape when the Eiffel Tower went up for some Internatioanl Exhibition and was not taken down as it I think was slated too - many Parisians also called that a blight on the skyline but now it is the symbol of Paris.
Well I don't think the Tour Montparnasse of the new Triangle Tower (not sure that's its name but it does sport a unique traingular pyramid-like shape. It will sit on the far edges of Pafris proper - in the 15th arronidssement besides the busy Peripherique freeway.
So far a vote by officials is so close it is hard to call - but personally I'm all for the project, especially since it sits well away from the center of Paris and heck Paris is not a museum like Venice and has embraced many modernistic structures, like the Pompidou Center and the Louvre glass Pyramid, which was also decried when it was erected but now is accepted by many as a nice touch to the Louvre courtyard.
So what do you think - should this tower be given the go ahead or banned? How would you vote - I'd vote Yes!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ICLOUD $ 1888:260:2909 Password Reset CONTACT ICLOUD Tec*h by 24*7
- 2 Trans Siberian Train
- 3 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 4 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 5 Malaga Christmas lights
- 6 Real Estate in Andalucia
- 7 GTG Paris December 2017
- 8 10 days in europe
- 9 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 10 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 11 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 12 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 13 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 14 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 15 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 16 Greece during Easter week or August
- 17 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 18 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 19 The World's Greatest Churches
- 20 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 21 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 22 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 23 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 24 My France Vacation
- 25 Paris November 2017