Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ParisPourri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/parispourri-687130/)

PalenQ Mar 12th, 2007 07:55 AM

ParisPourri

Paree-pourri that may be useful to some:

Paris by Bike:

Either rent your own or take a tour:

Organized tours:
www.fattirebiketoursparis.com
www.frenchconnectiontours.com
www.parischarmssecrets.com
www.parisvelosumpa.com

on your own rentals for a day, weekends or week - check with above firms or go to www.parisinfo.com for more.

PalenQ Mar 12th, 2007 07:58 AM

correction: www.parisvelosympa.com

PalenQ Mar 12th, 2007 08:36 AM

Speaking of bikes:

THE TOUR DE FRANCE IN PARIS
Though it starts this year in London, the 2,082-mile-long 2007 Tour de France will end as usual with a whole lot of revelry and fanfare on the Champs Elysees. www.letour.fr

The final day is a festive one to be in Paris and on the thronged Champs. And even though the top riders of past few years have voluntarily dropped out of the race because of doping histories (allegedly) the also-rans promise just as exciting a finish.

PalenQ Mar 12th, 2007 11:26 AM

CITY TOURS AND EXCURSIONS - GUIDED
Les Cars Rouges www.carsrouge.com
Paris Vision www.parisvision.com
Cityrama www.pariscityrama.com
Paris-Trip www.paris-trip.com
Paris l'Open Tour www.paris-opentour.com (double-decker bus)

cocofromdijon Mar 12th, 2007 11:32 AM

Paris pourri, Paris blasted? what do you mean Pal!

AnthonyGA Mar 12th, 2007 12:04 PM

Paris pourri means "rotten Paris" in French.

Travelnut Mar 12th, 2007 02:29 PM

oops! faux pas, oui...?

amwosu Mar 12th, 2007 02:50 PM

If you do plan to stake out a seat for the final day of the TdF on the Champs Elysees prepared to get there 3-5 hrs before their expected arrival. In 2004 I got there three hours early and was in the second row of people sitting and waiting. And don't expect to leave to go potty or to eat.

By the time the race started there were at least four rows of people behind me and we got to know our neighbors rather well as everyone was shoved up against one another.

The riders go by so fast that they are a blur so if you can plant yourself where they go around a curve they will be going much slower.

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 06:33 AM

Coco cherie:

It may be hard to believe with this faux pas that i have passed the BAC in French language with high honors?

Though i knew the word pourri means rotten when i say it - the spelling did not ring a bell in my play on the word Potpourri - in English meaning various little facts or things - when i substituted Paris for Pot in my Paris-Pourri.

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 06:58 AM

VERSAILLES - Les Fetes de Nuit Spectacular
Every year Versailles stages a new spectacle show on the Neptune ornamnetal lake behind the chateau. In 2007 dates will be August 26-Sep 16; www.chateauversailles-spectacles.fr

cocofromdijon Mar 13th, 2007 07:16 AM

< i substituted Paris for Pot in my Paris-Pourri.>
Wow! I don't have imagination enough to see what you meant!
I wonder if we would say that, I'd rather say Paris pot pourri so no more silly questions from people like me! :-]
Thanks for the links!

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 09:04 AM

PARIS AIRPORTS

CDG (Charles de Gaulle), 14 miles north of Paris. Orly Airport is 8 mi south of Paris.

Taxis: From CDG "average fare of 40 euros during day (7am-7pm) and 45 euros at night as well as Sundays and holidays to central Paris. From Orly 30-35 euros average day and 40 euros at night." (says Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau)

RATP buses and RER trains also serve CDG and Orly: info - www.ratp.fr for both.

Air France bus service also from each airport
: www.cars-airfrance.com

Airport info: www.adp.fr (aeroports de Paris)

there is also a plethora of shuttle bus services and limos serving airports with advance reservation usually required.

shared taxis serve both airports to far-flung cities (such as to Orleans, my son paid 70 euros on a Sunday for an early flight before he could get there by public transportation).

cocofromdijon Mar 13th, 2007 09:23 AM

And what about a posting with
How do I get from gare de Lyon to gare du Nord (for the Eurostar for ex)? I can't remember and feel a bit lazy... Or from a gare to another, that is useful :-)
Merci !

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 09:52 AM

Well Lyon to Nord is a snap as there are direct RER D trains between the two.

Other gare-a-gare links usually are via metro or even bus.

Montparnasse- Gares Nord and Est - metro line 4

Montparnasse- Saint-Lazare metro line 13

Est to Nord metro line 4 and 5

Est and Nord to Saint-Lazare - RER line E

Austerlitz-Est and Nord metro 5

Are you doing the Eurostar to London. have you done it with Leo and other son before? so exciting for kids i think. Eurostar terminal in London changes to Kings Cross next November, Waterloo abandoned.

cocofromdijon Mar 13th, 2007 10:06 AM

Yes we're going to London next month (for 3 days only!) and Axel et Léo are very excited (not as much as I am though!) Hubby will stay in Dijon just in case (I'll have my mind in peace then)

We will try one of the Travelodge hotels (the Docklands one) It is such a bargain to get a family room for 26£, and they get good reviews on TA.
But we're talking about Paris here! ;-)

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 11:26 AM

Love the Docklands - kids will like the Docklands Light Rail - elevated train that goes to the City from there.

back to PareePourri

FOIRE SAINT GERMAIN
Famed River Gauche, or Left Bank district of Saint Germain begins its annual month-long fair June 1, 2007. Most events (markets, plays, poetry readings and various other events) are free. www.foiresaintgermain.org

PalenQ Mar 13th, 2007 11:50 AM

PARIS BLOG
www.myparisblog.fr gives you just the chance to blog about your favorite Paris things or read others' tips and things they like, etc.

PalenQ Mar 14th, 2007 06:41 AM

PARIS MARATHON - APRIL 15, 2007
The Marathon de Paris, much like the finale of the Tour de France bike extravaganza presents spectators as well as participants a festive atmosphere at the finish line.
Runners from all over the world compete - 35,000 (!) in 2006 - it's called one of the world's most popular urban athletic events.
www.parismarathon.com

PalenQ Mar 14th, 2007 09:18 AM

DANCING THE NIGHT AWAY
Though it may not be the can-can you'll be doing, traditional ballroom dancing - like waltzing, tangoing and salasing - have once again become popular with Parisians. And so dancers may revel in a night at dance emporiums where you can show your moves all night long.

Dancing de la Coupole; 102 blvd du Montparnasse, 14th arr; ph 01.43.27.56.00

La Casa del Tango; 11 allee Darius-Milhaud, 19th arr; ph. 01.40.40.73.60

PalenQ Mar 14th, 2007 10:08 AM

NEW MUSEUM OF HISTORY AND IMMIGRATION
In April another new museum hits the Paris scene - the Museum of History and Immigration opens its doors in the Palais de la Porte Doree, a rather breaht-taking art-deco pavilion in the Bois de Vincennes.

what is there? museum says "fascinating films and exhibits displaying all facets of immigration to France"

www.histoire-immigration.fr

Political aside: Wonder if the history of the immigrant Sarkozy family is included? I guess if Sarkozy had his druthers his family would have never been allowed to immigrate to France? Maybe he will, if elected, force him and his family back East? On a train to the East - has eerie reverberations in France i think.