Parisien Taxi

Jun 8th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Mike

Parisien Taxi

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Paris but was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with Parisien taxis. When I was leaving Paris, I took a Parisien taxi from my hotel to the Air France shuttle stop near Invalides. The concierge at my hotel called the taxi to pick me up and when I got in the taxi, I noticed a 35 FF charge already noted on the meter. When I asked the driver why the meter showed 35 FF, he mentioned that as soon as the hotel called for a taxi, he set the meter for where he was at when he was dispatched to pick me up. Is this a common practice or what? Granted I'm only looking at an additional $5 charge, but I'm rather curious as to whether this is legitimate or not.

Jun 8th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Ursula

Mike: I do not know whether it is legitime, but when a taxi has to pick you up at a certain place (hotel), there is a charge, at least in Paris. Cannot remember about other places. We always take a taxi from Montparnasse to Orly and the meter always shows a certain amount (could be arond FF 35.-, did not pay attention to it.). So, I believe it is most probably legitime. On the other hand, this way you are sure to get a taxi. We always order ours a couple of hours ahead for the time we need to leave the hotel.
C'est la vie! ;-)

Jun 8th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Lori

I have also been told that when you have your hotel call for a taxi they automatically set the meter at 35FF. We also just returned from Paris and were ripped off twice by taxis. The first time was from the Gare de Lyon to the Minerve in the 5th. The driver charged us 10FF per bag, when the sign clearly says 5FF. Then from the hotel to the airport we were charged an outrageous fare (I actually forget now but the husband remembers). He also took the long way through the tunnel. What can you do - you are captive.

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Lori

This is not a rip off charge. Taxi's in Paris charge additional fees when they are called (as to your hotel, apartment, etc.). This is the normal course of events when you call for a taxi. We visit Paris often and are aware of this. If you do feel you are being taken advantage of just say something .. most taxi drivers do speak some English we've found. My husband is French so we have never had a problem, but always ask first if you are not sure.

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Christina

There is a basic fare that gets charged just for starting a particular ride (13F), there is also a minimum charge for any ride (30F, I think). I thought the fare upon arrival on being called by phone would be the actual meter, not an automatic 35F (13F + whatever distance it took to get there), but I'm not sure as I don't pay attention to that kind of thing. I've never been cheated in a Parisien taxi. Sometimes people think they've been cheated just because they don't understand the rules or fare structure in Paris (like the automatic charge for starting, etc). There is also a fare for taking a cab from a train station that is added on in addition to a baggage fee (the train fee is 5F). The baggage fee is 6F each, I believe, as of last Fall.

Jun 8th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Thyra

As stated above there is a baggage fee. Which should be listed on a sticker somewhere in the passenger section. It goes up from the 6FF depending upon what size your bags are... plus you may be charged different rates depending upon what time of day you are travelling. And yes, if the taxi has to drive from another location TO your hotel to pick you up, you are charged a surcharge.

Jun 8th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Robin

Mike-- I realize you're home now, but I just wanted to let you know that that fee is actually posted on a sign in the taxi-- it's quite legitimate. But I know what you mean. I'm from an area where I almost never take a taxi, so it's always a new experience, even in the US. Rates and special charges are something of a mystery (which is why I actually read what's posted!)

Jun 8th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Mike

Thanks everyone for your feedback. One note I would like to add is that the Air France Shuttle is probably the best way to get from either CDG or ORY airports and it's quite inexpensive. I paid 50FF to go from ORY to the Invalides area. From what I've gathered from several posts and friends I've spoken to, taxis are very expensive.

Jun 8th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Fred

The charge was legit. In Paris if you flag a taxi or pick one up at a taxi station, you pay from that point forward. But if you call for one, you pay for the trip from where the taxi was to your place. For more Paris information e-mail me [email protected]

Jun 9th, 2001, 08:35 PM
girl

i think they can do that but it is a bad idea huh???

Jun 9th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Surlok

The Air France shuttel is great, the problem is to get a taxi, if you want one and not the metro, at the terminals. They are busy, busy, and is as hard to get a free taxi there as is during rush time in Manhattan.