Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Parisian streetwear - July 2009 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/parisian-streetwear-july-2009-a-793785/)

kerouac Jul 4th, 2009 06:30 AM

Parisian streetwear - July 2009

Fashionistas, avert your eyes. There's nothing at all chic about my neighborhood in Paris (metro Marx Dormoy in the 18th) other than its splendid ethnic mix, but here is what people are wearing this month: http://tinyurl.com/mfbycy

kybourbon Jul 4th, 2009 06:37 AM

Can you say jeans, tennis shoes and flip flops? lol
All the things the Fodor's Fashion Police insist aren't worn in Europe.

Dukey Jul 4th, 2009 06:42 AM

No, all the things that the "fashion police" don;t wear because if they did the bulges, lumps, and bunions would be even MORE prominent.

nutjobz Jul 4th, 2009 06:48 AM

how funny, we can all stop worrying abt what to wear in Paris

scatcat Jul 4th, 2009 07:51 AM

I noticed a few McDonald's sacks.

kerouac Jul 4th, 2009 08:25 AM

There is a McDonald's about 20 meters from where they are standing. (I take these photos out of my window.)

decee Jul 4th, 2009 09:15 AM

The only thing I see missing from your photos are cell phones. Otherwise those pictures could have been taken just about anywhere in North America. Bicycle styles are different from here and most riders aren't wearing a helmet (the law here in most parts) but other than that I can't tell where these people are from just by looking at their apparel. I guess we'll fit in just fine!

Sue4 Jul 4th, 2009 10:35 AM

Thanks! This could easily be Miami (where I live) or anywhere else in the U.S. We can all lighten our suitcases. Well, maybe not if you're staying at The Ritz or Crillon!

suze Jul 4th, 2009 10:40 AM

WOW that was fun, thanks for posting! Although I kept reading the title of your thread as "Parisian Streetwalkers" and thought it was about something else!

danon Jul 4th, 2009 11:46 AM

"how Parisians dress in an out-of-the-way neighborhood"

pictures of Parisians ladies who lunch and men going to work in 6th ,7th 8th or 16th might be just a bit different! No?
The idea that all Parisians are well dressed, elegant, slim, and chic changes very quickly as soon as one moves outside the most expensive parts of the city.

abranz Jul 4th, 2009 11:59 AM

quelle horreur!!
these can't possibly be real parisians.

actually, when i visited paris in april, i noticed that most parisians did not dress any different than most san franciscans.

kerouac Jul 4th, 2009 01:47 PM

I confess that I just added another 70 photos. Spying on people is addictive.

kkukura Jul 4th, 2009 01:55 PM

I really enjoy your inside views of Paris! Thanks for sharing!

mms Jul 4th, 2009 01:58 PM

I have a bit of an off topic question for you. You mention living in the 18th, and we were just there the other week. We took a cooking class there. Anyway, we took a cab back to our apt afterward, and it took us down a street named Rue de (or maybe Avenue, sorry, I don't reember) Magenta. It was lined with bridal stores (that looked really cheap). It was a, um, interesting street to people watch on. So what is up with all those stores?

seetheworld Jul 4th, 2009 03:02 PM

Geez, I wonder if I can get my DH to wear those man capris? LOL.

seetheworld Jul 4th, 2009 03:06 PM

LOL - two guys are crossing the street wearing the same shirt! It looks like the one guy is doing a double-take. :D

mms Jul 4th, 2009 03:17 PM

LOL, DD and I commented all week on those manpri's also. We said no way would DH or DS go anywhere near those. Course we also got a good giggle out of all the MC Hammer pants/shorts.

MademoiselleFifi Jul 4th, 2009 03:21 PM

re: <<i noticed that most parisians did not dress any different than most san franciscans.>>

But San Franciscans dress differently from much of the US-- just take BART a few stops away to a mall in San Leandro and compare.

Seamus Jul 4th, 2009 04:46 PM

Thanks, kerouac - your photos keep trip memories fresh.

Have to say that last month in Paris I did note an increase in the number of men in capri pants, and they weren't all German tourists. Saw the same thing in London. Still haven't been able to bring myself to wear shorts in Paris (ghostly white legs might scare children) but think I am being desensitized to the capris, might even think about them in the future if the weather is hot. Still cannot fathom walking around all day in flip flops, though.

kybourbon Jul 4th, 2009 04:54 PM

>>>>(ghostly white legs might scare children)<<<<
That's why everyone is wearing designer sunglasses.