Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Parisian Metro System Tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/parisian-metro-system-tickets-144086/)

amanda Jan 20th, 2002 06:17 PM

Parisian Metro System Tickets

Could someone please how you purchase metro tickets in Paris? I plan on going everywhere by metro, and have all my stops planned out in my itinerary. I will be in Paris for about 2 weeks, and I considered buying several Paris Visite passes, but you can't buy them ahead of time and I don't know how much they cost. They really should sell some sort of pass that works like a Eurorail pass, only for the metro! If anyone has any suggestions, they are very welcome. THANKS!

karen Jan 20th, 2002 06:35 PM

Amanda: <BR>At your first subway window (le guichet), say "Bonjour, Madame" or "Bonjour, Monsieur" and say, "Un carnet de billets, s'il vous plait" or you could ask for "Une Carte Paris Visite pour cinq jours, s'il vous plait"<BR><BR>You'd be asking for a group of ten tickets or for a subway pass for five days, whatever you want. When either run out, just repeat the process. <BR><BR>Do not, I repeat, do not, get anything except a Eurail pass (and even that can be of questionable value unless you're doing at least two TGV rides) before you land on French soil. I don't always get a Paris Visite because on some visits a carnet is a better value, but I always get a Carte Musee at the first museum I go to. The value isn't in the amount you pay--it's in the lines you skip.

karen Jan 20th, 2002 06:47 PM

Amanda, I forgot to respond to your Eurail pass detail. They do sell some long-term passes, but these are more suitable for the French rather than tourists. <BR><BR>Don't worry--this is the simplest part of your trip.<BR><BR>I took my Dad with me to Paris this past Thanksgiving. The more he read beforehand the more he worried--he thought we should be buying something ahead of time, or he was worried about which zones he should tell the person he wanted(whenever I've purchased tickets in Center Paris, no ticket seller has even brought that topic up). Even though I've been to Paris eight times in four years, he refused to believe me that buying subway passes or tickets was a painless procedure. So when we got to our first Metro stop in Paris, I had my ten-year-old complete the transaction. He was stunned--all that worrying for nothing.

Amanda Jan 20th, 2002 07:29 PM

karen: thanks for the info! do you have any idea how much that would cost? i've heard that the metros are fabulously cheap...how much is a carnet?

karen Jan 20th, 2002 07:50 PM

I'm thinking 49FF--about seven dollars. <BR><BR>My best hint for my Dad was to have one of those laminated-card type street maps with a metro map on it. They fold accordian-style to the size of an airline ticket. The Paris Metro stops all have a posted map of course, and it's easy to obtain little metro map cards, but the fold up maps have 99% of the streets you need on them, too. <BR><BR>I consider them to be so essential that I make sure every member of our party is carrying one. That way I can make somebody else responsible for some directional decisions instead of just me.

Ursula Jan 20th, 2002 10:25 PM

A carnet (10 tickets) is now FF 61.-, about Euro 10.--, I suppose.

Sue Jan 20th, 2002 10:46 PM

Amanda, there is a much cheaper and easier way to do all this. Ask for a Carte Orange hebdomadaire, a weekly pass. You will need a small photo (photomaton pix OK). This will cost 13.25 Euros (about $12). You will receive a folder with your Carte Orange and your pix affixed, plus a coupon that looks like a Metro ticket. You write the number of your Carte Orange on the coupon and use your coupon to ride the Metro anywhere in Zones 1 and 2 for a week. Just put it into the same slot people put Metro tickets. You may also use the C.O. to ride buses, but don't put the coupon in the bus machines (it will punch a hole in them); just show your C.O. folder. For the second week you use the same folder, just get a new coupon. (You can actually buy them from machines.)<BR><BR>Even though they are intended for French workers, no one will castigate you for buying one rather than the much more expensive Paris Visites.<BR><BR>The only drawback is that they run from Monday to Sunday. If you arrive on a Wednesday, then you might only want one for the one Mon-Sun week and might want to use individual tickets before and after, which you buy as Karen said by asking for "un carnet" (9.30 Euros for 10--$8.40). (By the way, a Metro ticket is "un ticket.")<BR><BR>Unless, of course, you figure that the C.O. would be cheaper and easier for the segments of weeks. (One time I bought one on a Thursday because I knew I would be taking more than 14 trips before Monday and would therefore save money over a carnet. Sometimes just the ease of the pass wins out, too.)<BR><BR>There is a website for the transport system where you can see the chart of prices--Note the Paris Visite lists 2 prices, children/adults. The 13 Euros you would spend on a week C.O. will buy you a 2-day Paris Visite:<BR><BR>http://www.citefutee.com/informer/tarif.php#carte_orange<BR><BR>On their English site, they don't mention Carte Orange, only Paris Visite for obvious reasons. :-)<BR><BR>If this has confused you, just let me know.<BR><BR>

KenCT Jan 21st, 2002 02:16 AM

Just printed the above for my Paris file. Thanks to all.

sue Jan 21st, 2002 03:51 AM

Is the Carte Orange sold after Wednesday? We are arriving on a Thursday and we've always used the CO because we love to hop on and off buses everywhere. I didn't think we'd be able to purchase one until the next week. Anyone know?

karen Jan 21st, 2002 04:29 AM

Amanda--Sorry giving you an old price on the carnet (I bought the Paris Visite last Thanksgiving, not a carnet, since the number of rides I would be taking would be extraordinary).<BR><BR>The reason I've never used, and therefore did not recommend, the Carte Orange is that the timing and length of my visits never made them worthwhile. We usually arrive on a Thursday, making the CO a totally impractical choice. <BR><BR>As the one poster said, even if you are arriving on Thursday, you could easily put together your own combination, say a three-day Paris Visite or carnet purchase with a Monday-Sunday Carte Orange. And you could do that at your leisure.<BR><BR>Want to emphasize, to keep you from becoming confused, that no matter what method you choose to use to get on a Metro, none of them are expensive in relative scheme of things. You're are not going to get a "bad grade" if you spend one dollar more per week by whatever method you choose.<BR><BR>If you used your entire carnet of 10 tickets in one day (and that would mean quite a bit of rail time), you would have spent only $10 covering an unbelievable amount of mileage. The fact that those tickets are equally useful on a bus or on the three local railroad lines (as long as the travel is in the city) makes even the most expensive alternatives an economic deal.<BR><BR>Back to original advice--just don't buy anything before you land in France. The companies selling Paris Visites and Carte Musees ahead of time are economically preying on a tourist's fear of the unknonw.<BR><BR>Also wanted to clarify what the poster meant about the "same machines". No matter what method you choose, un ticket, une Carte Paris Visite, or Une Carte Orange, the tickets and passes are the same size and shape. At the Metro stations, all are placed in a slot in an entrance turnstile or gate system. You put your ticket in one slot at the front as you start into the gate and you grab the ticket as it pops out of a top slot on your way through. The ticket/pass is therefore validated.<BR><BR>If you're using a ticket, keep it with you until you end your journey--that's the rule. Then you can throw it away.

Ursula Jan 21st, 2002 04:32 AM

Sue:<BR>Re: Carte Orange<BR>The ticket for the current week can be purchased until Wednesday.<BR>For the following week, as from Friday.<BR>On Thursday, no coupons being sold.

Gretchen Jan 21st, 2002 05:15 AM

We purchased the Carte Orange upon our arrival on Wednesday and got our money's worth until Sunday. Then purchased another for the next week. You can bring a snapshot of your face--the seller even cut ours out for us and put it in the sleeve. It needs to be very small--less than an inch square (definitely not passport size). Another nice feature of the CO is that you can use it on the buses which are wonderful to ride, particularly since you will have an extended time. A BIG difference in using the CO on the bus however is that you DO NOT feed it into the ticket machine--just hold it up for the driver to see. No stairs and you see the neighborhoods of Paris. For all your questions and the routes of the buses and Metro go to http://www.ratp.fr<BR>There are a number of bus routes that are very scenic in and of themselves.<BR>If you take the bus using a ticket there are no free transfers--you must use another ticket to connect to a bus line. Paris Visite passes may or may not be economical. You need to look at what is offered that you will use. It is on the ratp site.<BR>

Fred Jan 21st, 2002 05:55 AM

You can purchase one at a time, or as a "carnet" - a pack of ten sold at a discount, good for metro and buses. If you're going to be in Paris for many days, get a Carte Orange (cart oh-rahnge) with a coupon semaine (coo-pohn suh-men)- it costs about 82f and gives you unlimited use of the Metro and buses for 1 week - Monday through Sunday. It's sold at Metro station booths until Wed - not after that. You'll be given a small ticket, a card, and a plastic holder. You'll also need a small ID photo about 1" square - there are photo machines at certain metros (you can split the cost by switching after each photo is taken). I'd suggest bringing photos with you so you don't have to search for a photo machine - nothing fancy - just your face on a small 1" photo - use a Polaroid. Fill out the back of the card, attach the photo to the card, seal it in the plastic holder, write the number of the card on the ticket and store the ticket in the plastic holder. Use the ticket in the turnstile machines in the Metro. On the buses just open the folder to show the card. This is especially good in bad weather or when you're tired - you can hop on and off buses all day. There are also shorter versions for less days. If you're planning to return to Paris, save the packet and card with your photo - all you'll need is a new ticket -coupon semaine. There is also a card known as the Paris Visite Card which gives you unlimited travel on the metro, buses, and the RER suburban trains for 2, 3, or 5 days and costs about $63 for the 5 day. It also offers discounts at certain tourist attractions. You can purchase this at any of the larger metro stations. But the Visite is really best if you'll be doing a lot of traveling out of the city. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Wendy Jan 21st, 2002 09:42 AM

Amanda you can buy your metro passes in advance at http://www.conciergerie.com/main.htm<BR><BR>I have used this site before with no problems. They delivered my metro and museum passes to our hotel so we were ready to go! I know the charge is a bit more than if you stand in line once in Paris to buy them but for us it was worth it knowing that they were there and we were ready to go!!<BR><BR>Have fun!

Sue Jan 21st, 2002 04:54 PM

Thanks, Ursula--you're right. I bought my C.O. on Wednesday, not Thursday. Glad to know that little detail about no coupons available on Thursday.

lro Jan 21st, 2002 04:59 PM

- Stop It! I have read your dribble on the Travelocity boards and now I see you are busy here as well. This is a place to share information, NOT to post crap you have copied from other sites, and direct people to your site and beg for money. If we can ban you from these boards we will. Amanda, please disregard ANYTHING Fred has said and instead concentrate on the experiences of the other travelers here. **Beware - Fred is the guy who advertises http://www.anamericaninparis.com and wants money**

Maurice Jan 21st, 2002 08:26 PM

We were in Paris in 1999. Fortunately, the Metro was not on strike (until after we left.)<BR>The 5-day pass was about $35C. I don't remember what it was exactly, maybe about 150FF. What's that nowadays? About $20US? 25Euros? Cheap at half the price!<BR>Incidentaly, they are washable. They give you a cardboard ticket with a magnetic stripe, about 1" x3". If you leave these in a pocket when you do laundry, just flatten them out and let them dry. (Don't try this at home.)<BR>You can just get them at the first subway booth you get to. They program them right there. We bought our tickets the day after we arrived, and just fed them through the turnstiles for the next five days. <BR><BR>

Kelly Jan 21st, 2002 08:32 PM

I wish I bought a Carte Orange when I was in Paris last year. Twice I bought a carnet of tickets, and both times half of the tickets were no good. I got no help from the ticket sellers either. What the hell, I saved them for my scrapbook anyway, I wasn't going to let it ruin my trip - but I want to warn you about this problem!

Carnie Jan 21st, 2002 10:07 PM

You know what I think is my very favorite thing about visiting this forum? There will be an interesting and informative thread with lots of practical, seemingly useful info, and then....then....then appears some bizarre, random, outrageously angry post from some odd bird denouncing another poster for the most ridiculous of reasons! I've seen it so many times here on Fodor's -- it just cracks me up. Sorry, no Paris Metro feedback here, but do have a wonderful time, Amanda!!

Michael Jan 22nd, 2002 02:58 AM

Dear Amanda:<BR>Hello.<BR>The Paris public transport system is divided into eight travel zones. Central Paris is in zones 1 and 2. As you move farther from the center traveling on the regional rail lines, metros, or bus lines the more your ticket will cost. <BR>A CARTE ORANGE pass is intended to the Ile-de-France region residents. The weekly card is valid from Monday to Sunday and can be bought from Monday to Wednesday for the current week, and from Friday to Sunday for the following week. Cost for a week long <BR>CARTE ORANGE:<BR>Zones 1-2 cost 87francs/ 13,26<BR>Zones 1-3 cost 116francs/ 17,68<BR>Zones 1-4 cost 145francs/ 22,11<BR>Carte Orange monthly travel passes are also available. Both weekly and monthly passes require you to have a photo taken(photo booths are available at most major station stops) and attached to the pass. <BR>One can purchase a "carnet of 10" tickets. This is a better value than buying single tickets. <BR>Single ticket cost: 8.50ff/ 1,30<BR>10 tickets full fare: 61ff /9,30<BR>10 tickets child age 4-11: 30.50ff /4,65<BR><BR>You can buy these tickets from an automatic ticket vendor or from the teller- all stations are manned (though not at every entrance). <BR>A more flexible travel pass option is the Paris Visit card. This is avalable for:<BR>One day:<BR>zone 1-3 child 30ff/4.57, regular fare 55ff /8.38<BR>zone 1-5 child 55ff/8.38, regular fare 110ff/16.77<BR>zone 1-8 child 75ff/11.43, regular fare 155ff/23.63<BR>Two days: <BR>zone 1-3 child 45ff/6.86, regular fare 90ff/13.72<BR>zone 1-5 child 85ff/12.96, regular fare 175ff/26.68<BR>zone 1-8 child 110ff/16.77, regular fare 225ff/34.30<BR>Three days:<BR>zone 1-3 child 60ff/9.15, regular fare 120ff/18.29<BR>zone 1-5 child 120ff/18.29, regular fare 275ff/37.35<BR>zone 1-8 child 140ff/21.34, regular fare 280ff/42.69<BR>Five days:<BR>zone 1-3 child 90ff/13.72, regular fare 175ff/26.68<BR>zone 1-5 child 150ff/22.87, regular fare 300ff/45.73<BR>zone 1-8 child 175ff/26.68, regular fare 350ff/53.36<BR><BR>Child's price is between ages 4 and 11. Children under four can ride bus and metro free of charge. The Paris Visit pass can be purchased in main Metro stations, all RER stations and wherever you see the RATP logo (tabaconnist, museums, SNCF train stations, tourist offices, ect)<BR>A new ticket called Mobilis appeared in 1999 within the framework of the transport system. A Mobilis ticket covering two zones costs 33FF/ 5,03 and offers unlimited travel for just one day within whatever zones you have chosen.<BR>A ticket (unless it is monthly pass, Mobilis or the Paris Visite card) is only good for one trip. As you enter the turnstile you slip the ticket into the required slot, and take it out when it pops up on top as you proceed through the turnstile. Once you exit a station that ticket you used cannot be used again. Actually if you put it though at another station the turnstile will spit it out the other end with a buzz. You can always change to a corresponding line that will connect you to another line in a direction you need to travel. Follow the orange correspondance signs to change lines. Even if you should ever go in the wrong direction, you can always switch at the next stop.<BR>Visit the Paris transport website, they do have a section in english, but it has not been working lately.<BR>http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm<BR><BR>Have fun riding the metro.<BR>Sincerely,<BR>Michael<BR><BR>