Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Parisian Hotels near the Louvre (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/parisian-hotels-near-the-louvre-36056/)

Ronn Dec 30th, 1998 12:48 PM

Parisian Hotels near the Louvre

Does anyone have knowledge of either the Hotel Brighton or the Hotel Gaillon-Opera. Location is apparently good for walking tours; but I would like to return in the evening to a hotel with true "charm". Proximity to bakeries, cheese shops, and a good choice of wine shops would also be nice. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Donna Dec 30th, 1998 02:34 PM

It's probably more convenient to be close to a metro stop, rather than close to the Louvre. The Louvre is so huge, you will want to ride to it. There's hardly a hotel in Paris that is not within proximity to shops of every kind in the surrounding neighborhood. A particularly good neighborhood is the 7th - any hotel with "Ecole Militaire" as the nearest metro stop. This is close to Rue Cler (street market) and Rue St. Dominique (quintessential Paris street lined with shops of every sort imaginable). There are lots of charming and reasonably priced hotels in this area. There are several websites where you can search for a hotel by neighborhood, attraction (such as the Louvre), metro stop, etc.

Bill Dec 30th, 1998 04:53 PM

<BR>Stayed for seventeen days at the <BR>Relais du Louvre, one block from the <BR>Louvre and across the street from the <BR>St. Germain du L'Auxerrois. Two metro stops within a block to a block <BR>and a half. Walked to opera, islands, <BR>Comedie Francais, left bank very small hotel 20 rooms, very clean not <BR>fancy, very helpful staff. Patiserrie <BR>on the corner and loads of good rest- <BR>uarants within walking distance. <BR>Have a wonderful time. <BR>There was also another hotel Place <BR>de la Louvre next door,also 22 rooms <BR>three star and probably very compar- <BR>able to the place we stayed.

Amy Dec 31st, 1998 07:07 AM

We will be staying at the Hotel Saint Louis on the 75 rue saint louis-en-L'Ile (it is on the Island). It sounds charming, I found it in the fodor's travel book as well as a few other travel books. When are you going Ronn? <BR> <BR>Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Saint Louis - not to be mixed up with the Hotel Saint Louis just outside of Paris. <BR>Amy

Joel Dec 31st, 1998 10:15 AM

Ronn, the Brighton I don't know, but the Gaillon-Opera is in the 2nd Arr about half way from the Opera to the Louvre just off Ave de l'Opera. It's a pretty average place as French hotels go, but that might depend on what you consider charming. To my way of thinking there are more small charming hotels (my def: quaint, warm, thematic or true to an earlier period) in the 5th and 6th Arrs. <BR>I have to agree with Donna, that using the Metro to get to the Louvre makes perfect sense. From the Gaillon, for example, even though it's physically close to the Louvre, you can still get there faster from most hotels in Paris that are close to Metro stops, partly because the Metro drops you off right in the Louvre, and partly because the Metro is so extremely efficient and fast. <BR>I suggest you check out guides or websites that cover charming hotels in Paris (there are some), choose your hotel, then let the Metro get you there. Believe me, you're going to wish you'd done as little walking as possible getting to the Louvre by the time your aching feet finish touring the place!

Julie Jan 1st, 1999 06:10 PM

Someone earlier mentioned staying Rue Cler Street.Absolutely lovely and extremely conventient to everything. A great hotel (cheap, bathroom in the room, elevator,CNN, telephone, and most importantly--ice machine downstairs)--Hotel Leveque, 29, rue Cler-75007 Paris France <BR>Telephone-01 47 05 49 15 <BR>Fax 01 45 50 49 36 <BR> <BR>Reservations are a must--give name,size bed, bathroom in room. We did this by faxing a letter(in English) that asked for rates with the arrival/departure dates listed. They faxed us back with prices, we then faxed credit card information, and they mailed us a confirmation report. You won't regret it! <BR>

Ronn Jan 5th, 1999 12:17 PM

Donna, Joel, Amy and Julie, <BR>Thanks for the suggestions. I have now decided to switch to the 6th or 7th. I am interested in the Leveque, the Prince de Conti, or the Best Western Left Bank. We are going to be in Paris in April; right after the Easter week-end. Anyone have any pick of the above three hotels, please let me know. Thanks <BR>

VANESSA Jan 5th, 1999 03:34 PM

HI,RONN <BR>WE ARE JUST BACK FROM PARIS, AND WE WERE STAYING IN PRINCE DE CONTI. IT IS A SMALL,CLEAN WITH WONDERFUL BREAKFAST($13)HOTEL(SOMETIME WE BOUGHT FRUITS FROM MARKET, AND THE KITCHEN CAN CLEAN , PEEL FOR US). THE ONLY DRAW BACK - THE METRO IS A LITTLE BIT FARTHER THAN THE LEFT BANK WESTERN .

VANESSA Jan 5th, 1999 03:34 PM

HI,RONN <BR>WE ARE JUST BACK FROM PARIS, AND WE WERE STAYING IN PRINCE DE CONTI. IT IS A SMALL,CLEAN WITH WONDERFUL BREAKFAST($13)HOTEL(SOMETIME WE BOUGHT FRUITS FROM MARKET, AND THE KITCHEN CAN CLEAN , PEEL FOR US). THE ONLY DRAW BACK - THE METRO IS A LITTLE BIT FARTHER THAN THE LEFT BANK WESTERN .

Mel Jan 6th, 1999 06:19 PM

In Paris last week. Stayed at Hotel Claude Bernard, 32 rue des Echols right by the Sorbonne. Close to everything. Notre Dame 5 minute walk, Louvre 15 minute walk. We walked all over Paris from this location. Clean, small typical Frence hotel. Desk clerks helpful and they know where to eat.

Donna Jan 6th, 1999 06:26 PM

Ronn: It's best not to be too obsessive about selecting a hotel (especially since you should reserve forthwith - after all that time spent deciding, you may find each of your final selections fully BOOKED!). If it's in a desireable neighborhood to you, near a metro stop, in your price range, and includes the amenities important to you, and there are positive but no negative comments on the travel boards, just go ahead and book. Then, you can turn your attention to where you will dine and how you will spend your time once there...

Christina Jan 7th, 1999 10:40 AM

It's not clear to me what your hotel <BR>criteria are, and while I haven't stayed <BR>in any of the last three you mention, I <BR>know enough about them to know that <BR>you cannot compare these hotels as <BR>they are in completely different price/ <BR>ratings range. The Leveque is a <BR>backpacker, basic, budget Rick Steves-groupie <BR>favorite and has only a one-star rating. <BR>(well, it used to, from what some people <BR>say its amenities are that sounds <BR>rather odd since it seems like it should <BR>be at least a 2 if not 3-star, so there is <BR>something missing from this picture, if <BR>it cannot get a higher rating than 1-star). <BR>The other two are higher-end 3-star <BR>hotels which cost 2-3 times ($150-$200) <BR>the rate of the Leveque (which I think <BR>is $60-$80). So, you can't directly <BR>compare these hotels. If you can afford <BR>the higher end and this is a special <BR>vacation, I think you would be disappointed <BR>if you stay in a cheap hotel like the Leveque. <BR>

Eileen Jan 7th, 1999 11:06 AM

We are also planning to be in Paris in April (1st time) and will be staying in the Left Bank, 6th arr - St. Germain area. We are looking into a few hotels that have not been mentioned in this thread - they are the Left Bank Saint-Germain (rue de l'Ancienne Comedia, Oedon metro); Crystal otel (rue aint-Benoit,St Germain metro); Hotel AuManoir St Germain (Blvd St Germain, St Germain Metro) and the Relais Christine (rue Christine, Odeon metro). We like small/luxury type hotels with charm & amenities. Still researching these choices but hope to decide & book by next week.

Debbie Jan 8th, 1999 11:23 AM

Ronn-just read this but must tell you that the Hotel Brighton is probably one of the best secrets in Paris(however it got discovered about 10 years ago and it is hard to sometimes get reservations. It is on the Rue du Rivioli with fabulous views of the Tuillerie Gardens,metro stop across from hotel,walk to the Musee D'Orsay and train to Versailles. <BR>It is just a few doors down from the Meurice where the german generals stayed during WWII when they were going to destroy Paris-2 blocks from the Ritz and very centrally located to Louvre,shopping,eating,etc. The hotel is an older FRENCH hotel with huge bathrooms,friendly staff,etc. Our family has stayed at this hotel everytime we have gone to Paris for the past 20 years. Can't say enough about the location and being a French hotel rather than an American chain. Have fun! <BR>

jeanne Jan 8th, 1999 04:33 PM

Ronn: <BR> <BR>Hopefully not to further confuse you but just to add another thought. I know the Brighton and agree it is very nice. And the 6th and 7th are great areas, but they are the other side of hte river. No big deal but just a little extra effort...another option is the Marais which is the 4th. It is sort of the new "hip" place on the right bank and on a direct metro line to the Louvre and if you are close enough to the Hotel de ville-not even a bad walk to the Louvre. If you search here on Fodor's you will see the marais talked about. I have had friends stay at the Jeanne d'arc there and like it. But all the neighborhoods mentioned are great and much better than the "opera area". <BR> <BR>Just a not to Eileen. The Relais Christie is one of my favorite luxery hotels in Paris.I live in Paris part of the year and when friends can afford it, I recommend the Christine. It is part of a cloister of a 16th century abbey and one of the lovely charming hotel in Paris. I don't know the others so I an't compare them but the Relais Christine is lovely. There is a small picture of it in eyewitness guide to Paris in the section that shows the best hotels in Paris.

jeanne Jan 8th, 1999 04:33 PM

Ronn: <BR> <BR>Hopefully not to further confuse you but just to add another thought. I know the Brighton and agree it is very nice. And the 6th and 7th are great areas, but they are the other side of hte river. No big deal but just a little extra effort...another option is the Marais which is the 4th. It is sort of the new "hip" place on the right bank and on a direct metro line to the Louvre and if you are close enough to the Hotel de ville-not even a bad walk to the Louvre. If you search here on Fodor's you will see the marais talked about. I have had friends stay at the Jeanne d'arc there and like it. But all the neighborhoods mentioned are great and much better than the "opera area". <BR> <BR>Just a not to Eileen. The Relais Christie is one of my favorite luxery hotels in Paris.I live in Paris part of the year and when friends can afford it, I recommend the Christine. It is part of a cloister of a 16th century abbey and one of the lovely charming hotel in Paris. I don't know the others so I an't compare them but the Relais Christine is lovely. There is a small picture of it in eyewitness guide to Paris in the section that shows the best hotels in Paris.

jeanne Jan 8th, 1999 04:37 PM

Eileen-that was a typo!! Should have read just a note to Eileen as opposed to a not-sorry <BR> <BR>jeanne

Susan Feb 16th, 1999 07:21 AM

Try the Hotel du Louvre; it's side entrance opens right to the mall entrance to the Louvre. It is a lovely hotel w/an esp. nice staff and a great breakfast buffet. We stayed 2 summers ago and hope to go back.

Susan Feb 16th, 1999 07:22 AM

Try the Hotel du Louvre; it's side entrance opens right to the mall entrance to the Louvre. It is a lovely hotel w/an esp. nice staff and a great breakfast buffet. We stayed 2 summers ago and hope to go back.

Eileen Feb 16th, 1999 11:03 AM

note to Jeanne ... well since my earlier posting we've made a decision and booked a room at the Hotel D'Aubusson (6th arr), sounds and looks wonderful! My first choice was the Relais Christine .. but it was a little more expensive than I wanted ... we got a double room at the Aubusson for 1350 ff versus the Relais C at over 1850 ff .... but maybe next time! Can't wait to go