Reload this Page >

Paris with my 12 year old son, comments on itinary and hotels please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:03 PM
pj

We are leaving for Paris in March. I thought we would stay at Hotel Danube for 4 nights. We could do all the exploring in that area.<BR> Then I have booked Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais in the marais district for 3 nights. Just to get a feel for different neighborhoods.<BR>I want to go to the usual sightseeing {my 5th trip to Paris} museums ect.<BR>I was thinking of catacombs and the sewers?<BR>Dineyland Paris to break it up and kick back one day. Anyway appreciate comments!! PJ

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Doug

Parc de la Villette has many activities and exhibits that should appeal to a 12 year old. It's in the NW of Paris and is the end ( or starting ) point of an interesting canal cruise. The cruise goes underground for a bit , this may be of interest to a 12 yr old also.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Doug

Sorry. It' s in the NE of Paris.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Marsha

I have always wanted to take my kids to see the circus in Paris. Also, there is a hands-on science museum for kids at the Citte des Sciences et de L'Industrie. My own preference wouould be to skip Disneyland Paris, and visit a castle (knights, battles etc.) or a flea market. My daughter enjoyed Richard the Lion-hearted's castle north of Paris on the Seine - the name escapes me at the moment.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Michael

The Cit&eacute; des Sciences et de l'Industrie is in the Parc de la Villette, to make sure that you are not thinking that these are two alternatives.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:47 PM
pj

ttt

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:44 PM
StCirq

Having been in Paris every summer with my son since he was 11 months, I've learned a lot about what boys like about Paris and what they don't at various ages. The Cit&eacute; de Science is pretty good, but my son REALLY enjoyed it at 10 - don't know if it would hold quite so much appeal at 12, unless the interntional robot soccer tournament were going on as it was 2 years ago. He really loved the very small Mus&eacute;e de la Magie, and the Conciergerie was of considerable interest to him last summer, just after he had turned 12 (and studied the French Revolution in 6th Grade), as was Versailles. He loves the b&acirc;teaux-mouches and the Batobus (in fact, our entire shopping day in Paris was slowed considerably by the fact that he insisted we take the Batobus to every stop - possible a ploy to keep his teenage sister from spending ALL day in the shops). He also had fun shopping in C&M and some sports stores on the rue de Rivoli for some not-too-daring but interesting French clothing (nothing wildly different from American clothes, but just enough to have that Parisian edge). He bought a couple of pairs of athletic shoes (Nike and other brands) in a shop off the rue de Rivoli at about half the price we would have paid in the US. He also loves to pick up soccer jerseys in Paris from the various countries that play in the World Cup - easier to find there and cheaper than in the USA, if you can even find them. He loves the movie "Paristoric," which shows at bis 11 rue Scribe and tells the story of the history of Paris - every tme we go, he wants to see that movie and pick out something new to visit in the city. The Mus&eacute;e de la R&eacute;sistance also interested him - it's at the side of Les Invalides. And obviously, don't forget the Tour Eiffel and Arc de Triomphe. Take him for lunch at the caf&eacute; on top of La Samaritaine department store - you can see all of Paris from there, and he will remember it forever. Take him to the Place Beaubourg and let him see the artists and fire eaters and other performers. Take him to Montmartre and have an artist - not a really clinging overpriced one, if you can avoid it - do a charcoal drawing of him and soak in a bit of the admittedly faux bohemian side of Paris. Take him on a train ride out of Paris to Auvers-sur-Oise, where Van Gogh is buried. It's a lovely town devoted to this artist, but it also has an amazing exhibition at the local ch&acirc;teau about the Impressionist movement - it's all holograms and movies and performances and my son absolutely had his eyes open wide the entire time - and learned a lot, too.<BR>There are so many things to DO in Paris. DO some of them, but also just take time to BE with your son there. It is an experience he will never forget and that will integrate into his life in ways you cannot now begin to imagine.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:01 PM
pj

Thank you!! I am so excited~! We are doing a unit study on the french revolution so everything will be that much better. This is such a help, PJ

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Marsha

I just found the name of the castle north of Paris on the Seine - Les Andelys. My daughter loved the short hike up to the castle. It was obvious that whoever had control of the castle could control the entire valley and the river! (Thanks for the suggestion, Rex, it was hit with everyone.)