Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris- which airport is closer to the Euro Star train? CDG or ORY?

Old May 14th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

I'm traveling to Nice from the U.S. via London (first time to Europe!) I'm planning to take the high speed train from London to Paris and then fly to Nice. I'm wondering which is airport is easier to get to from the train.

Also am wondering if I'm going to be exhausted(!) and am debating whether to stay in Paris for a day before heading to Nice.

My flight leaves NYC on Sunday night at 11:30pm and arrives in London at 11:30 am.

I'm a new traveler so any tips appreciated!

Old May 14th, 2007, 01:46 AM

easyJet flies directly to Nice from ORY - it's a lot cheaper than Air France from CDG so you might want to consider that in your planning.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

thank you! I saw them listed when I was checking kayak.com for flights.
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:40 AM

Easyjet flies to Nice from both Orly and CDG terminal 3. The RER B can take you to either aiport from Gare du Nord quite easily -- 8.10€ to CDG and 8.50€ to Orly.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Can you not take the train to Nice and not have to go to an airport with all the security, etc.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi C,

Have you considered taking the train?

You arrive at Gare du Nord.

It's about 20 min by cab to Gare Lyon, from which you take the TGV to Nice - 60E PREMS fare, about 5:30 hr.

See www.voyages-sncf.com

I think that it will take about the same amount of time to get you to your hotel in Nice, with less schlepping.

Old May 14th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Why are you going via Paris in order to go to Nice?

By the time you've gone from Heathrow to Waterloo & travelled to Paris you could have flown to Nice

BMI & BA do some low fares - if booked in advance - to Nice from Heathrow and whilst I rarely recommend changing airports in London you could take flights to Nice form any of the other London airports
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Did you consider flying from London to Nice? Or do you have some reason for wanting to train to Paris? It looks like Easy jet flies from London (not Heathrow) to Nice. I would check that out.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Missed the link http://www.whichbudget.com/en/cheapflights.php?to=NCE

Just to add that AT BEST it will be 5 hours from landing in the UK to arriving in Paris, then you still have to get to CDG / ORY for the flight - I reckon it would be about 8 hours from landing at Heathrow to landing at Nice
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM

If I understand your question -- you plan on flying to London, transferring to Waterloo, taking the Eurostar to Paris, then out to the airport and flying to Nice -- either all on the same day or perhaps w/ 1 night layover in Paris??

Sorry - but this is absolutely crazy -- especially for a first time traveler.

The transfer to Waterloo is not easy at the best of times - but jet lagged, w/ luggage and being unfamiliar w/ London transport makes it worse.

Your total trip involves too many transfers, too many modes of transport, and too much time.

Unless you plan on staying over in London for a few days - forget the idea of the Eurostar. I'd fly directly from London to Nice.
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:55 AM
ira

Hi carol,

>'m traveling to Nice from the U.S. via London. ...I'm planning to take the high speed train from London to Paris and then fly to Nice. <

I didn't catch the full import of your plan.

Is it your intention to fly into London, go into the city, take the train to Paris and fly to Nice all on the same day?

If so - don't.

Into which airport are you flying?

How are you getting back home?

Old May 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM

I know of a person who takes the train from England to the Rhône valley. I believe that the change is either in Lille or Calais to catch the TGV. It might be easier than changing from train to plane in Paris.

But the suggestion that you fly directly to Nice is a good one. Look for a flight out of London to Nice that departs in the late afternoon (after 4 p.m. at a minimum). We did that last year, flying from NYC to Heathrow, transferring to Stansted and going to Porto.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:59 AM

I don't think the difference in distance to either airport is much of a factor, as they probably aren't that different from Gare du Nord. However, if you are right there at Gare du Nord, might as well take the RER to the airport, I would, so that would mean CDG. I would choose CDG for that reason if there truly were no difference in schedule or air fare that mattered to you.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses- very much appreciated!

I'm getting the feeling that I may have bit off more than I can chew!

My travel plans- flight from NYC, Sunday night May 20 from JFK at 11:30pm, arrive in London at LHR at 11:30am on May 21. I return, flying from London on May 29th, flight at 12noon, back to SFO (I live in California).

I booked the flight to London instead of Paris because it was about $1000 cheaper and someone had suggested the bullet train to Paris as an alternative, tho now it seems like this is too much to do in one day.

I would like to see Paris (at least set foot) and a bit of London if possible tho my main time will be in Nice.

I'm just reviewing everyone's posts but seems like it might be easier to fly from London to Nice or take one train ride to Nice (tho this sounds long).

I prefer to get to Nice first and then maybe I can stop in Paris on the way back.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM

If you want to get to Nice first your best options are:

1) BA or BMI from Heathrow
2) BA or easyJet from Gatwick (and easy direct coach connects the 2 airports - but you'd want at least 4-5 hours between flights)
3) easyJet from Stansted (also a direct coach - but you'd want 5-6 hours bewteen flights)

There may be others - but these at least fly London/Nice.

The Eurostar makes sense IF you are leaving from central London. From Heathrow it makes almost no sense at all.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj.

I just looked at BA's site- from Gatwick it's reasonable- $175 going to Nice tho the way back is going to be difficult.

Flights are all full coming back from Nice to London on 5/28 so I'm looking into a Plan B.

(btw going directly to BA site was so much better than using Kayak which didn't have them listed at all)
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM

In August I see return flights with BMI from HEATHROW for as low as £74 and with BA from Heathrow around £100

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:14 AM

You mentioned wanting to see either London or Paris. Come back a day early to London (if you can get a flight) or to paris on the train, and continue to London.
You have a very specific desire for Nice?
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gretchen,
Thanks.

Yes I'm going to Nice- well actually Cannes because my friend's have a film in the Cannes film festival.

Here is my latest:

Most of the flights are totally booked Monday May 28th from Nice back to London so I'm juggling different airlines.

I found a flight on EasyJet on Monday the 21st that leaves from Gatwick at 6:30pm arrives in Nice at 10pm.

So I'll need to get from LHR (arrive at 11:30am) to Gatwick by 6:30 which seems reasonable.

Then on Tuesday the 28th there's one less expensive flight ($211) on Air France that leaves from Nice France at 8am to Paris. I'll have to get up early, (otherwise I have to leave on Sunday) to get back to Paris or London.

Once in Paris I'll have to get back to London for my flight on Tues the 29th at 12 noon.

This has been totally crazy to figure out!

I still have to figure out how to get from ORY to the EuroStar (am looking on line now)

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM

From ORY, you ride the OrlyVal shuttle train to the Antony RER station, then RER B to Gare du Nord. Total fare: 9,10€

Source: http://www.stif-idf.fr/IMG/pdf/Guide_2006.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO