Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris -where would you stay- Rue Jacob vs Rue Cler? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-where-would-you-stay-rue-jacob-vs-rue-cler-351272/)

Lisa2464 Aug 24th, 2003 04:23 PM

Paris -where would you stay- Rue Jacob vs Rue Cler?

My husband and I (in our late 30's) are planning our first trip to Paris this October - we are taking advantage of the recent low air fares. We will be there for 4 days and I have a couple of questions based on all the great info I have read on this board. I think we would like to try one of two areas but need to compare the 2. So my questions are ... What are the pros and cons of staying on Rue Jacob vs. Rue Cler? what are they like? and which
3/4* hotels do you prefer there? Thanks in advance and for all the wonderful info out here!

Scarlett Aug 24th, 2003 04:29 PM

I can't really compare, because I have never stayed on rue Cler but the last several years that we have gone to Paris, we have stayed on rue Jacob at the Angleterre.
It is one of the best locations! about 3 blocks from the Seine and over the bridge to the Louvre. A block from Blvd St Germain. You are within walking distance of most of the great sights of Paris, Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens, the D'Orsay, the Louvre, amazing shopping along the Blvd StGermain, a great area for cafes and food ! The Latin Quarter is a walk away, St Sulspice, St Germain des Pres church.
Rue Jacob is full of antiques shops, galleries, some great fabric stores, book shops and restaurants. I would live there if I could :)

jody Aug 24th, 2003 04:31 PM

MPO...go for Rue Jacob..closer to most tourist sites and a whole lot livlier for 30 yr olds! Shoot I'm 60 something and that is where we've stayed ever since we first went to Paris!

Patrick Aug 24th, 2003 04:53 PM

Another vote for Rue Jacob over Rue Cler. It is so much more convenient to so many things and overall a more interesting area in itself.

Maribel Aug 24th, 2003 05:29 PM

Rue Jacob! For all the reasons mentioned above!

Surlok Aug 24th, 2003 06:07 PM

Rue Jacob hands down. Much more central, lots of things, restaurants, bistros, patisseurs and antique shops close by, Seine is, if I'm not wrong, two blocks away.

Rue Cler is a little far if you want to walk to the Louvre, or N. Dame, while from Rue Jacob, you will be able to walk everywhere: west, to D'Orsay and Eiffel Tower, or NW, Trocadero, North East, N. Dame, Ille de St. Louis, Louvre and a little further, the Marais.

Weadles Aug 24th, 2003 06:07 PM

I agree with the others. Absolutely, Rue Jacob. To me, there's no comparison.

capo Aug 24th, 2003 06:41 PM

Hi Lisa. In the spring of 1994, I stayed right around the corner from Rue Cler and later that year, over Thanksgiving, stayed on rue Jacob.

Rue Cler itself is a nice market street, one of many in Paris, in the relatively sedate 7th arrondisement. And some major sites, like the Eiffel Tower and Invalides, are close by. But, unless you like to walk long distances, you'll likely be taking the Metro, or other transport, to places you'll want to visit.

Compared to Rue Cler, Rue Jacob is near (or some might say in) the very heart of Paris, close to places like Notre Dame, the Louvre, and the Luxembourg Gardens. And you have your own market street there as well, the charming little Rue de Buci, only a few block from Rue Jacob. The website at the link below says &quot;<i>There are street markets in almost every neighborhood but one of the busiest and atmospheric is on Rue de Buci and Rue de Seine, narrow medieval streets in the 6th Arrondisement on the Left Bank.&quot;</i>

Also, as befits a neighborhood close to the Ecole des Beaux Arts, there are, as Scarlett mentioned, numerous art galleries in the Rue Jacob area, as well as fabric shops and other places which catch your eye with beautiful window displays as you stroll around.

capo Aug 24th, 2003 06:42 PM

P.S. Forgot the URL for the website I mentioned.

To Market, To Market!: &quot;Picnic shopping in Paris&quot;

http://www.travel-wise.com/europe/paris/paris-2.html

Mark_va Aug 24th, 2003 06:49 PM

if you want 3/4 star hotels on rue jacob or environs, be prepared to pay big bucks. It is very central with lots of action and for 4 days, its probably a good idea.
Rue cler and the 7th is very residential.
You don't really stay on Rue cler (except leveque and one other 2 star hotel), but you stay in the Area.
Hotels in the 135 range like Relais Bosquet are perfect. so it depends if you want to save a few bucks on hotels. Transporation is easy in the 7th or 6th, but yes, the 6th is closer it Isle de la citie, etc. In fact, the city is pretty compact so you can cab it over to the 6th in minutes and spare your self the high hotel bill.

janis Aug 24th, 2003 06:54 PM

Rue Jacob looks to be just about the unanimous choice. It is more convenient to most places visitors will want to walk to.

Both used to be fine but unfortunately Rue Cler has kinda been overrun by folks toting Rick Steves' books. Not that there is anything wrong with that - but his recommendations have caused swarms of tourists meaning the rents have gone way up and many old time merchants are being forced out.

Calamari Aug 24th, 2003 07:02 PM

Yep, that is Rick Steves' fault!

2dogs2cats2kids Aug 24th, 2003 07:06 PM

Any hotel suggestions on Rue Jacob? I tried to find the hotel Angleterre and it was located on de la Bo&eacute;tie I'm probably looking at the wrong website as it is nowhere near Rue Jacob.

Scarlett Aug 24th, 2003 07:16 PM

Hotel d'Angleterre
44 rue Jacob
tel:42.60.34.72
They do not have a web site nor have I seen them online, they are not a bargain but I think they are the usual price for hotels in that area.
There might be 25-30 rooms, no elevator, a pretty courtyard and a nice lobby with a small bar and a breakfast room.
It was originally the British Embassy (I think, thus Angleterre) and it is where the Declaration of Independence was signed. Ben Franklin brought it there and stayed there at that time. The original staircase, white marble, is still there.
The staff is slightly formal but very helpful.
There are a few really nice hotels in that area though, I am sure people will be recommending them.
Have a wonderful time! We always go to Paris in the fall, the weather is almost always perfect :)

capo Aug 24th, 2003 07:22 PM

Triple2, two other suggestions, almost right next to each other, on the Rue Jacob: Hotel Deux Continents and Hotel des Marroniers.

Calamari Aug 24th, 2003 07:27 PM

Miss Scarlett
What is the room rate at the hotel you mentioned. Sounds great. Would a picky person who adores cleanliness approve? Do they accomodate Pup in the style in which he has grown accustom too? Being Paris I am sure they do.

Scarlett Aug 24th, 2003 07:37 PM

Actually, I do believe that Pup is welcome there.
Our last stay there we had a very big room with a fireplace, a sort of suite.
I think I am fairly picky when it comes to hotel rooms, and I never found fault with the rooms. I have read here on Fodors that one person was unhappy and thought their room was musty. The rooms are a good size with very big windows and the bathrooms are huge with tubs/showers and glass shower doors. and bidets :)

It was over $200 a night, I could look for the bill if need be..we also had room service every day which pumps up the bill :)
Write and ask for a brochure or email them,
[email protected]
the Directrice is M. Blouin
Good luck~

Surlok Aug 24th, 2003 07:53 PM

I stayed at Hotel les Deux Continents once, about 9 years ago. It is fine, although not overly charming. The Maronniers has got bad reviews ( they belong to the same owner, though).
There's also Hotel Danube, Hotel Millesime, Hotel La Villa ( 4 stars), all at Rue Jacob.

Calamari Aug 24th, 2003 07:57 PM

Scarlett

You are a living doll. Thanks for all of that info. I think I will give your hotel a try next summer when we go back. Merci. MC

SusanP Aug 24th, 2003 08:07 PM

The other great thing about rue Jacob is that you will find Lauduree there, on the corner of rue Bonaparte. You have to try their macaroons, they are soooooo good! Especially the chocolate ones, although they come in many great flavors.

The Declaration of Independence signed in Paris? Surely it was signed at the Continental Congress in Philadelphia? If not, guess I have to improve my knowledge of American history!