Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Where to have Christmas day dinner?

Oct 18th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Would love to read about Christmas day dinner. What restaurants are open? Suggestions? We are not fussy. What are your opinions of Sebillon? La Romantica? La Petit Bordelais?
Oct 18th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Le Train Bleu at the Gare de Lyon would be a wonderful place to have a holiday dinner, IMO.
www.le-train-bleu.com
Oct 18th, 2010, 12:54 PM

I will be watching this...will be there over Christmas, as well. We are going to Le Train Bleu for Christmas eve dinner. (go their site....gorgeous place)! We are planning to go to Les Editeurs which is right by our hotel and open-which is all we wanted. I think a lot of places do open back up in the afternoon. I don't know the three restaurants that you mentioned. I think there are places in the Marais that are open (Jewish and middle Eastern owned businesses that aren't celebrating Christmas).Are you staying in a hotel? Ask the staff there, if you are. I would think all the big hotels would be open for their guests, at least. Maybe Cafe de la Paix at the Hotel Intercontinental (LeGrand) by Opera Garnier, might be an option. Our hotel said they would assist with reservations, but wanted to wait until closer to the Holidays and I am always researching, so this is a thread I will watch. I will add anything I find.
Oct 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Another vote for le Train Bleu, it is a spectacularly beautiful restaurant the food and service are good. Celebrated my husband's bday there last year. I would imagine some of the other brasseries like Terminus Nord would be open. Christmas dinner in Paris will be wonderful!
Oct 19th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We have just looked at Le Train Bleu and it looks elegant. We found out that of the 3, only Sebillon is open for Christmas. They specialize in Leg of Lamb. It's all you can eat and they keep coming to the table to carve it. Here is a link if interested.
http://www.aveyron.com/english/phbis...lon_paris.html
Oct 19th, 2010, 05:00 AM
cw

Many brasseries are open. A couple of years ago we ate at Bofinger, part of the FLO brasserie group: www.flobrasseries.com. Le Grand Colbert is also open: http://www.legrandcolbert.fr/#

We made our reservations by e-mail. Christmas Day we also had a fine lunch at the Jacquemart-Andre Museum.
Oct 19th, 2010, 06:21 AM

I'm not so sure what's so special about leg of lamb, even though it's the Rouergue variety and all you can eat. And you have to get yourself out to Neuilly to dine there, and on a holiday when the métro will have more limited service than usual. Sounds like an interesting place, but not a place I'd target for a special event. I'd say Le Train Bleu is a perfect choice, with Bofinger and Violon D'Ingres and maybe La Guirlande de Julie other options, if they're open. On Christmas Day, I'd actually probably want a place I could walk to, so where are you staying?
Oct 19th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Saint Jacques in the Latin Quarter. la Guirlande de Julie is open on Christmas.
Oct 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

StCirq: Thanks for the heads up on trains off schedule for Christmas day, hadn't thought of that.
Oct 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Oh, those meals are so fussy. I would just go to a traiteur and a wine store and a boulangerie and spread my finds on my hotel bedspread and have a feast with no ceremony or pretention. And of course it would cost no more than 25% the price of a restaurant meal, even with lobster, foie gras and capon.
Oct 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Robuchon appears to be open on 12/25, closed 12/24
Oct 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM

<>

And those would be open on Christmas Day? And if not, I wouldn't want day-old capon and lobster for Christmas.
Oct 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM

We were in Paris in 2008 on Christmas Day. I was so stressed about where we were going to eat - we had 6 persons with us. I have to share most places were actually open... we stayed in the 5th and ended up having a FUN dinner in the 6th at a Greek Place. Opah! It was a blast...and nothing fussy about it.
Nov 28th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Bookmarking as I'm in last-minute planning mode for Christmas and New Year's Eve dinner!
Nov 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM

<>
And those would be open on Christmas Day? And if not, I wouldn't want day-old capon and lobster for Christmas.

Don't know about Paris, but in La France Profonde (Sarlat anyway) butchers, bakers, patisseries, are open Christmas morning. Everyone is busy getting supplies for Christmas lunch.

The Christmas we spent with friends in Paris we got things to eat - not to cook - ourselves and had a great time.
Nov 29th, 2010, 12:36 AM

We had a lovely Christmas Eve dinner in Paris at Chez Vong, one of the most beautiful Chinese restaurants we've ever eaten in. It's in the 1st, on Rue de Grand Truanderie just off the Blvd. St. Denis, in an unfortunately ugly area of Les Halles, but beautiful inside. We returned to Les Halles for Christmas Day lunch at Pied de Cochin, a fun place, and probably in the same chain as Brasserie Flo and Bofinger, etc. Lots of those places are open and they have generally respectable food and lovely decor.