Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris - Where to buy attractive clothes with a French theme? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-where-to-buy-attractive-clothes-with-a-french-theme-615664/)

Kate_W May 15th, 2006 07:54 AM

Paris - Where to buy attractive clothes with a French theme?

An older relative of mine dearly wishes she could visit Paris, but health problems will prevent her from making the trip. Her daughter told me she'd love something like a sweater or top with a distinctively French (particularly Parisian) motif or design. I'm thinking "Coldwater Creek for French people". It's certaintly not something I've ever shopped for my self, but has anyone found such an item in Paris. I'd love to buy her what she wants, but don't know where to look for it.

missypie May 15th, 2006 08:01 AM

I admit that I see a lot more "French themed" clothes and home accessories here in the US than I did in Paris.

cigalechanta May 15th, 2006 08:09 AM

I saw some by the arcades along the rue de Rivoli, a sweater with the Eiffel Tower, was spotted also bags and hats.

Christina May 15th, 2006 08:45 AM

French-themed clothes will be difficult, and usually in poor taste. Souvenir shops are about the only place you'd find something like that. The most tasteful thing I've seen along that line was some kind of scarf or umbrella with scenes of Paris (or scenes from some Monet paintings or things like that -- I have seen some pretty ones).

Of course, you can always get her little Eiffel Tower earrings or a sweatshirt with an Eiffel Tower on it, if that's what she wants. This kind of stuff will only be in souvenir shops. The scarves/umbrellas (or maybe a nice tote bag) with pictures will be in sourvenir shops, also -- there are some nicer souvenir shops along rue de Rivoli. The one on the NE side of Notre Dame has a lot of stuff, also (on rue du Cloitre Notre Dame).

cigalechanta May 15th, 2006 08:52 AM

Th sweater will be made in China.
as will most of the scarves sold on the streets. Hermés make a beautiful one picturing the popular sites.

LeeParis May 15th, 2006 08:56 AM

I found a pretty scarf in a shop (not a souvenir store) on the Rue de Rivoli that just had the word "Paris" discreetly tucked in one corner. Otherwise, it didn't have anything blatantly Parisian. Also, some of the museum gift shops might have things although they are often quite expensive. I bought a pin that wasn't too outrageous that had the "A" and "M" for Marie Antoinette combined in script. It didn't scream "PARIS" but it always reminded me of my visit to the Louvre.

cigalechanta May 15th, 2006 09:01 AM

Sonia Rykiel is a designer who often puts the Eiffel tower or the word Paris on her clothing. She's not inexpensive. The shop is on the Rue de Grenalle I think in St-Germain-de-Pres

AnthonyGA May 15th, 2006 09:49 AM

Things that say Paris, France, Eiffel Tower, and the like are going to be for tourists&mdash;it would be rather tacky to wear such clothing <i>in</i> Paris. Parisians as a general rule don't like to have a lot of text or images on their clothing to begin with.

If you want French style, every store sells that, since Paris is in France. If you want something that screams Paris or France, the tourist places are the main venues. The French themselves, when they go in for themes, usually pick pseudo-American stuff (such as the famous Chevignon brand, a completely made-up American style that was always a bit amusing to see).

cigalechanta May 15th, 2006 10:00 AM

Sonia Rykiel is one of the top desgners in France as well as a decorator and the French wear her French clothes. She has boutiques throughout the world.

kangamom May 15th, 2006 10:02 AM

How about a sweater from Colette? It is very Parisian, but not inexpensive.