Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris: What Sites Exceeded Your Expectations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-what-sites-exceeded-your-expectations-577625/)

NorthShore Dec 23rd, 2005 07:00 AM

Paris: What Sites Exceeded Your Expectations?

Enough with the negative waves on the other post. Let's get some positive vibes going. So, what sites/things exceeded your expectations?

Feel free to mention the major "wow, just look at that" places, but also the little things that make Paris so special.

ira Dec 23rd, 2005 07:08 AM

Good idea, NS,

Parc Monceau

Musee Jacquemart Andre'

The Batobus

The Montmartrebus (no 18 from Pl Pigalle).

Rue Montorgueil

The market at Pl Breteuil

((I))

moldyhotelsaregross Dec 23rd, 2005 07:10 AM

Mariage Frères in the 6th. It was an excellent place to meet up with a friend and leisurely talk over a pot of tea.

Cato Dec 23rd, 2005 07:15 AM

The size and impact of the Eifel Tower. I still remember when I first came out of the subway, turned a corner and saw it square on in all its glory!

LCBoniti Dec 23rd, 2005 07:28 AM

Wonderful topic!
Unlike most posters on this forum, I am not an experienced traveler. But I had wanted to visit Paris ever since my high school French teacher played Edith Piaf records during class. A few years ago when my son-in-law was stationed in Germany, he and my daughter treated me to a trip to Paris.

Well, even thirty-some years of anticipation did not prepare me for the magic of that beautiful city! EVERYTHING - even the toilet that was just a hole in the ground at Pere-Lachaise cemetery - was even better than I had imagined. Probably my favorite thing was just walking along the Seine - or touching walls in the Louvre that were built around 1100 A.D. - or sitting in a cafe drinking the best cafe au lait I have ever had - or the wine!

But my favorite memory of that trip is, just as we were leaving the city, playing Edith Piaf on the car stereo while my daughter filmed our last vision of the city. Today when I watch the video, there is "La Vie en Rose" as background music - still the perfect background music for Paris!

Powell Dec 23rd, 2005 07:28 AM

To visit Saint Chapelle and hear a classical music concert.

To dine in "Le Pamphlet" in the Marais.

To have an ice cream and sit at Berthillon on the Ile St. Louis watching wonderful life glide by.

To see the Impressionists' works at the Musee D'Orsay.

To see Berthe Morrisot's paintings at the Marmatton in the 16th arr.

david_west Dec 23rd, 2005 07:38 AM

St Chapelle – staggering.

The Eiffel Tower – it’s HUGE. I had no idea.

Pere La Chaise – just beautiful and fascinating

The Air and Space museum – Concords, mirages, and space rockets. Big boy heaven.

NorthShore Dec 23rd, 2005 07:39 AM

All the bridges over the Seine, especially at sunset.

harrowgirl Dec 23rd, 2005 07:40 AM

Ste Chapelle - we almost didn't go - turns out that it was one of the most beautiful sites in Paris.

dina4 Dec 23rd, 2005 08:07 AM

Wow--an even better idea, you're right.
Thanks, northshore, for the post. I love reading it!
Dina

gramercy Dec 23rd, 2005 08:13 AM

Marmottan museum, still takes my breath away.

Orsay museum.

Louvre.

Vedettes de Pont Neuf evening boat cruise (not for dinner, but the Eiffel Tower ablaze with lights.)

Ste Chapelle on a sunny day, ditto Chartres cathedral.

Monet's house and pond at Giverny, at an uncrowded time of the morning, in June.

Madison Dec 23rd, 2005 08:13 AM

Saint Chapelle
Eiffel Tower
Most of the Gardens

I could go on and on. Paris,in itself, exceeded my expectations.

lyb Dec 23rd, 2005 08:19 AM

Call me Polyana, but I'd much rather focus on the positives, so thank you for this post.

I would have to say, "Paris", I went there expecting not to like it that much, I think I'd gotten tired of hearing everyone rave about it. I surprised myself by liking it a lot, and each day I spent there, I liked it more.

Just walking around Paris exceeded my expectations!

cls2paris Dec 23rd, 2005 08:21 AM

Great posting! The view from the top of Notre Dame! It was several hundred steps to the terrace level and I kept thinking - this better be worth it! It was so cool to see the gargoyles and see the streets of Paris from high. then we took another flight of steps to get even higher up - that was totally worth it!

RonZ Dec 23rd, 2005 08:23 AM

The glass domes in Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps [over Cafe Flo in La Mode]. Rooftop view atop the second Au Printemps. There is a little cafe there also. Paris Story on rue Scribe. Guided tour at the Opera Garnier.

cls2paris Dec 23rd, 2005 08:23 AM

I just saw someone mention Giverny! That overwhelmed me. I stood on the Japanese bridge and cried! I decided at that moment that I would make a lifetime goal to visit Giverny once each of the 7 months that it is open. So far, I have 3 done and 4 to go!

Iregeo Dec 23rd, 2005 08:23 AM

Now you're talking!

Walking through the parks, particularly Les Jardins du Luxembourg, Parc Monceau and Les Buttes Chaumont. Even the tiny neighborhood parks where the children play!

The churches of St. Chappelle, St. Gervais - St. Protais and St. Sulpice.

The museums Le Louvre, musee d'Art et d'Histoire du Judaisme, and my new favorite, musee Nissim de Comondo.

The nighttime view of the city from any bridge under a full moon...
the food...the wine...the accents on those men...

Guess I should give someone else a turn!

jules4je7 Dec 23rd, 2005 08:25 AM

Going back the second time this fall, there were plenty of do-overs as my Mom & Aunt had never been. This time, the ones that stood up to comparison from the first time I saw it were:

The Eiffel Tower (I got to go up twice this time!). A lovely giant that still awes me.

The Louvre's ceilings

Arc de Triomphe -- it's bigger than I remembered and this time I got to the top.

Also The Pantheon -- Rick Steves writes it off as a disappointment, but while it isn't as old or cool as Rome's Pantheon, Paris' is quite large and worth a look if you're in the neighborhood.

This time we got to meet a lot more French people, and as usual they were just as nice than the friendly New Yorkers I met last summer. And I'm not being facetious.

Jules

Jules

Cato Dec 23rd, 2005 08:34 AM

The grand view from on top the Arc de Triomphe at dusk when all the lights come on all over Paris.

italy06 Dec 23rd, 2005 08:39 AM

Definitely Ste. Chappelle - it was like being inside a diamond. Very moving.